Nov 13, 2006
Visit site
I have a Elddis Cyclone GTX 1990 (I think it's 1990) and I took it out for the first time yesterday but I didn't get far as one of the wheels overtook me!!! I forgot to check the wheel nuts and they were loose and the rest is history. Luckily it has not done to much damage but I was wondering if anyone knows what car wheels might fit it, it is 4 stud and I have measured the holes and they seem to be approx 70mm centers.

Thanks,

Ian

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian,

To the best of my knowledge car wheels are not compatable with caravans, not that they wont fit but caravan wheels tend to be a stronger design due to the extra weight carried on just two wheels. Much better to look for a caravan scrap dealer or buy a new one, or two, if you don't have a spare.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You need to fit commercial tyres, never fit car tyres as they are desinged to take weight over four tyres.

Take one of your wheels to a tyre place (so you can get the right size). They will be able to help you.

I would check the other tyre too as they have to be changed every five years (unless there is wear and tear on them before that) and if the other tyre looks a bit dodgy, get another one. Better safe than sorry.

After you have replaced your tyre/s, set the nuts to the correct torque setting. After driving about 25 miles, stop and check the torque setting again.

Good luck.

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ian,

As other have said, it is important to have the correct rims for the caravan.

There are many different specifications of rims that might have the same pitch circle for the studs and nuts, but that does not make then compatible, and using approximate dimensions are a disaster waiting to happen.

Small things like the design of the little wells for the head of the nuts/studs or the rim offset can be different.

Check with the caravan manufacture for the specification of the rim you need, and don't compromise on its design or the tyres you have fitted. And use a torque spanner to set the nuts at the right tension every time.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Ian

I don't think you will find the advice to buy 'commercial' tyres helpful

Tyre sidewalls contain a lot of inforamtion, but you won't find 'commercial' written there. The important bits are Load Index and Speed Rating, and there are lots of internet sites including tyre manufactures where you can view tables containing this data.

I had to go through this exercise when my caravan was re-plated by the manufacturer, but no advice was given regarding tyres. The original tyres fitted had a load index which allowed a 25% safety margin over 1/4 of the original MTPLM. I felt I had to change the original tyres as the safety margin had been compromised to some degree. Having selected a suitable tyre type from the tables, talk to your tyre supplier to find out what is available-when 5ply/7ply choices may arise

Nov 13, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Will take the one remaining wheel off and get two new wheels and tyres and then use it as a spare. I am just so annoyed with myself for not checking the nuts, had plans to but checked the pressures and then got way layed and forgot to check them.

Oh well you live and learn.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts