Our 1st trip!

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Just got back from our 1st trip. Picked the van up on Thursday and everything was working. The dealer had the heater and radio on so when we stepped in for the first time I got a lovely fuzzy feeling and it felt like home.

We live in Tewkesbury so went to Cheltenham Racecourse as Tewkesbury Abbey site was flooded! Had a lovely view of the racecourse and we remembered to switch everything on. We were on a slope but due to the torrential rain we left the van slightly nose up and I promised not to roll into OH in bed!

Next morning we attempted our levelling exercise. So I got the ramps out and we reversed the van up but it still didn't look level. OH dropped the jockey wheel as far as it would go but the spirit level still didn't move. So we just assumed that the slope was too steep and accepted another wonky night. At this point the very helpful warden came over and showed us a trick with the jockey wheel. Apparently we hadn't got it all the way down as we hadn't adjusted it since taking it off the car and lo and behold the nose went down, the spirit level moved and the rear steadies were up in the air. The very nice warden then went and got us some blocks and even with the caravan step it was hard to climb in. Still the shower water at least ran in the right direction now!

Even with all the rain we had a good weekend and learnt lots of useful things and were amazed how many people came to help us when we were sratching our heads at the outside of the 'van.

Glad we took the plunge and looking forward to our next trip - Whitemead Forest Park, end September.

Thanks as well for all advice and Golden Castle Caravans in Staverton have been brilliant. Even talked us through getting the heater working on site!

Aug 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi Louise,

glad you had a good first trip. It is really great to hear of the help and support you got from both the warden and others on the site (perhaps certain other wardens could learn from that!!!). Shame about the weather, but at least that hasn't deterred you!

Now for the second trip when you try out the awning,LOL

woody

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi Louise

I like Mark am glad that you had a good positive first experience.

It will get easier as you gain experience although there are always tip's worth learning.

So good to hear that you have found a dealer who seemed to go out of his way and even give you fuzzy feeling's, just hope your OH didn't mind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts