Our dog on holiday

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Wot can i say, please, please dont give up on both caravanning and Harley, he really sounds a lovely dog. We ourselves have 4 dogs, the youngest being a 8month old pup, we are now training her to stop barking at things she sees, like flying leaves, other dogs, ( sometimes) and most things she is still getting use to. Its not her fault she,s never seen these things before just blike Harley they both need to learn that there,s nothing to frighten them. Caravanning gives us the freedom to do as we please and where and when we want to. Thats why we have a caravan to take our dogs with us. Dont let one ignorant person put you off caravanning and dogs. There,s lots of nice people around so go for it and enjoy both. It,s well worth it. Good luck and dont let this person get to you.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
smiley-kiss.gif
Parksy - Moderator said:
Dustydog said:
Parksy
As far as your OH is concerned she clearly has a deep rooted phobia about dogs which can be easily remedied . I'd suggest straight away she tries to get close to a gun dog , like mine or Gagakev's. These dogs are soft mouthed, never *** and adore cuddles. Then maybe move onto other breeds.
Dogs can sense fear in a human and that can cause problems as the dog then begins to feel it is under threat. I read a book years ago , by dale Carnegie I think, that said face your phobias head on but in a controlled environment.
When do you want to borrow Pinky and Perky!
smiley-tongue-out.gif
I've tried all sorts Dustydog and compared to what she was like when we met 12 years ago Herself is a lot calmer around dogs than she was then.
I've managed to convince Herself that not every dog in the world is queuing up waiting to bite her and she actually met Gagakev's lovely Labrador pup Buddy at Stowford a few weeks ago. Herself didn't head for the hills or hide in the caravan and in fact she really liked Buddy and the friendly Border Collie pup from the caravan next door but one to us although she didn't rush over to stroke either of them.
I've always liked dogs myself and always had owned dogs since early childhood, poor mobility prevents me from having one now simply because my health issues would unfairly impact on a dog in terms of excersise etc.
Herself is very short in stature and one of her greates fears is that a (larger) dog would jump up and knock her over. Dogs do attempt to jump up from time to time which may be why she's not quite so bad with small breeds or pups when they are kept under control properly like Kev's Buddy.
All of my good work is rapidly undone when a (friendly) dog comes bounding across a site to greet us, I've no problem and allow the dog to sniff the back of my hand before stroking it but Herself takes off to hide. We visited a farm shop last weekend and there was a large friendly old dog which belonged to the farm and which casually ambled around but Herself wouldn't get out of the car even after I'd shown her how nice and friendly this dog was.
It's a gradual process but I'll get there in the end
smiley-smile.gif
Oh well Parksy I heard you was the old salty dog so no wonder the OH is a worried woman.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

My two are 17kgs, lightweights and they don't jump up unless asked.
Shame you weren't with me and LB last week . We could have offered you and SWMBO 4 dogs to play with
smiley-wink.gif

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
It's so nice to hear of a happy ending, well done Reg and Pat, + Harley, you will work it out, glad you are going to continue with the life style you have created for yourselves. All the best and good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Parksy, I actually did'nt realise your OH was so petrified of dogs, I think she showed immense control and think she could well be on the way to overcoming her fears, if it's any consolation when I was about 13 yrs old I was given the job of feeding a friends dog, collie X something and instead of waiting for it's food it decided it would attack and bite my nose!!! This put me off dogs for a very long time but did eventually overcome. Before Buddy we had G/ Shepherds. Wish her luck from me and if she wants to meet Buddy again I'm sure we can arrange something .

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Please don't give up Harley or caravanning
smiley-cry.gif
We take our kids with us yes they are 4 legged kids & both rescue kids, Sam is now 13 who will bark if he hears a loud noise & Polly is just 3 she will bark at birds,leaves or anything that flies past.
As other people have posted my 2 are walked by 7am each morning for at least 2 hours before i feed them in awning and they are fastened at the back of van and either o/h or i sit with them so they are under control all the time unlike some children who run around shouting at each other, run across other peoples pitches. However nothing is said about that; if we've every had problems with kids we always speak to the parents 1st some times you get a few F,s said to you, but usual it works.
Harley Sam & Polly say they would to love to play with you if on same site. Harley what breed are you? we are 2 springer spaniels and live in Sheffield South Yorkshire. Well woofs & licks from us
smiley-laughing.gif

ps would have posted a pic of us but not sure how to
smiley-laughing.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ann Keith said:
Harley Sam & Polly say they would to love to play with you if on same site. Harley what breed are you? we are 2 springer spaniels and live in Sheffield South Yorkshire. Well woofs & licks from us
smiley-laughing.gif

smiley-laughing.gif
Ann
And there's me thinking we were the only idiots with two springer spaniels!
smiley-cool.gif

Two sisters, Kizzy the Dizzy and Holly the Polly. They're full of the Badgercourt and Edgrove strains
smiley-innocent.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Ann Keith said:
....................ps would have posted a pic of us but not sure how to Laughing
First of all you will need a free image hosting account, http://photobucket.com/
Upload your photo from your computer to your Photobucket account (don't forget to select the Privacy settings on Photobucket)

Hover the mouse cursor over you picture and a dialogue box will appear
Click on 'Edit'
In the Photobucket edit window click on 'Resize'
From the drop down list select 'Large'
Click 'Replace Original' ( this doesn't affect your original picture stored on your computer)
Hover the mouse cursor over the picture on Photobucket and from the dialogue box click and save the 'Direct Link' (2nd one down)
Back on PCv forum start your reply and along the top of the comment box are some symbols.
Click on the rectangle with the tree icon and in the dialogue box paste the saved direct link
Click on 'Save' and your picture will appear in your post.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Pat and Reg

So sorry to hear what happened and the fact you came home early. Despite what a previous poster said, dogs and camping can work quite happily I believe.

If I were you, I would contact the Association of Pet Dog Trainers:
http://www.apdt.co.uk/local_dog_trainers.asp

It looks like some of their accredited members do one to one visits and some also do 'dog training in a group environment'. The APDT was set up by the great John Fisher. One of my favourite books written by him is 'Think Dog', if I were you, along with some sort of professional help, I'd buy a copy. Just google, I can't recommend the book highly enough.

Briefly, dog keeping or living with dogs is all about - looking after your dog properly and enjoying the experience, although this can be challenging at times, and training is all about reward, body language, psychology and hands off. In my eyes, dog training goes on for ever, even when you don't realise you're not doing it. (For example, give them a treat but make them work for it, that sort of thing).

I wish you success but please bear in mind, one session is not a quick fix, it takes time and hard work on both sides.

Lisa xx

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps all potential dog owners should learn as much as possible about taking care of their choice of pet before inflicting the new friend on society, Try the Internet for answers to dog issues, there is lots of information and advice to be found. Normally distracting the dogs attention each time the cause of barking is present will work, ignoring the behaviour will not, and as for giving him a squirt in the face, better not aye? My wife and I travel with 4 dogs, 3 Border Collies and a Parsons Russell Terrier, we don't do barking as we are sure that none of our neighbours on site or otherwise want to here it be they dog lovers or haters.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
As Lisa said, training goes on for life. There’s nothing more rewarding than going for walk with a well TRAINED dog. My border collie will occasionally find something new to bark at, the latest being a group of youths speeding by us on skateboards. However, telling her quietly but firmly to “be quiet” stops the barking instantly. I think she was about 4 years old before she was what I would call trained. Repetition & patients are key but it’s well worth the effort. The love and loyalty you get in return are immeasurable.
smiley-smile.gif

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Ann Keith said:
smiley-laughing.gif

smiley-laughing.gif
Ann
And there's me thinking we were the only idiots with two springer spaniels!
smiley-cool.gif

Two sisters, Kizzy the Dizzy and Holly the Polly. They're full of the Badgercourt and Edgrove strains
smiley-innocent.gif
i've always had 2 springers at a time 1 old & 1 young; Sam & Polly are my 4th rescue springer's from south yorkshire english springer spaniel rescue which i help with.
smiley-cool.gif

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
i think someone should arrange a doggie weekend with non dog owners are not allowed to come and ruin our dogs fun, i would rather have a dog owner next to me than screaming kids. keep caravaning and meeting lots of other dogs you will love it,

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
neila said:
i think someone should arrange a doggie weekend with non dog owners are not allowed to come and ruin our dogs fun, i would rather have a dog owner next to me than screaming kids. keep caravaning and meeting lots of other dogs you will love it,
that sounds like a very good idea!! give me dog's & their owns any day.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Ann Keith said:
neila said:

Best not to bring the cat though
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Gagakev said:
Ann Keith said:
neila said:

Best not to bring the cat though
smiley-laughing.gif
smiley-laughing.gif

Why not. I take my pussy with me when I go caravanning!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts