Outer Hebrides, Towing Caravaning ?

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Is it practical with a towing caravan. We know the inner Hebrides and the single track roads well, but next year we would like to take advantage of the lower ferry prices to visit the Outer Hebrides, especially the Southern part. We assumed we would have to look for self catering as the islands are good for camping but not towing. Has anyone out there taken a towing caravan? My thoughts were to posibly find a site nearish to a ferry then solo tour from there.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Chris

We're off in two weeks using two of the Cal Mac Hopscotch tickets. I'll let you know when I get back in October. Looking at the maps and internet and speaking to people I am not expecting any problems.

Cheers

Dustydog

Chris

We're off in two weeks using two of the Cal Mac Hopscotch tickets. I'll let you know when I get back in October. Looking at the maps and internet and speaking to people I am not expecting any problems.

Cheers

Dustydog
Please post a review when you get back, this sounds so interesting.

Have a great time.

G

Enjoy your trip, but be a tidy and considerate camper. Why? Well, evidently there has been a flood of campervans this year, mostly wild camping and dumping toilet sewage in burns and lakes etc. They are also filling the rubbish bins to overflowing. The cheap fares have meant that ferries are often fully booked and locals are unable to travel. Some visitors hav espent money locally, which is welcome, but others do not spend a penny and just abuse the locations.

I recognise that caravanners do not wild camp but we all get tarred with the same brush.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Please post a review when you get back, this sounds so interesting.

Have a great time.
Hi Margaret

Have a look at the Caledonian MacBrayne web site.

We start off at North Ledaig then via Oban to Isle of Mull, sail to Ardnamurchan, Resipole Loch Sunart.Ferry Mallaig to Armadale Skye. Sail from Skye to Isle of Harris/ Lewis and then over to Ullapool. Total Island Hopscotch tickets were

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Scotch Lad

You make it sound like the beatniks paradise of the 60s when they took over St Ives etc in Cornwall.

Year before last I did see a couple of old motorhomes wild camping near Loch Naver. They both senior citizen couples!

For my part we are staying on proper sites and shall be eating at local establishments. Hopefully this will put some dosh into Alex Salmond's coffers!

LOL.

Cheers

Dustydog

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
Scotch Lad

You make it sound like the beatniks paradise of the 60s when they took over St Ives etc in Cornwall.

Year before last I did see a couple of old motorhomes wild camping near Loch Naver. They both senior citizen couples!

For my part we are staying on proper sites and shall be eating at local establishments. Hopefully this will put some dosh into Alex Salmond's coffers!

LOL.

Cheers

Dustydog
there don't seem to be many proper sites for towing caravans (if any) and I would not wild camp with a towing caravan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts