Outfits over 12m Spain

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You may recall this was a big subject about a year ago. At that time it was mainly us law-abiding Brits who fitted plates. On site near Mojacar again now and many more outfits - of all nationalities have plates fitted, so word must have spread. Thee is also a noticable increase in traffic activity by Guarda Civil, particularly in urban areas on 'ring roads' or the equivalent.

If you are coming this way with an outfit more than 12m I seriously suggesty you read the CC information on the matter and fit some plates. The outlay will probably be considereably less than the potential fine/s

Incidentally today January 14th it's about 20C but very windy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mike

Total length of outfit, car and caravan. I worked out that I was about 5cm under the 12 metres but whether that would be enough to convince the police I don't know!

David

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that David. 5cm under ? Hmmmm. Maybe in the warmth of the Spanish sun a tape measure might stre-etch a little in your favour.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry guys, Spanish sun is different. Measuring tapes shrink rather than expand when funds are short. And remember it's their tape not yours. Unless (a) your Spanish is good and (b) you have a 15m. tape suggest you don't try arguing.

Not really fair, but then who said life is ?

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
My advise is always avoid Spain near the end of every month, thats when they (Guardia Civil) are out in force to collect fines etc to boost their pay packets as whatever Traffico collect, they get a part of, and I may be wrong on this, but as I understand it, as long as you are legal in the country of origin, then you you are legal in Spain.

Jeff.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
sORRY again but if you are coming into Spain now with an outfit i.e. car plus caravan or MV plus car on tow or on trailer which together are more than 12m long, unless you put the appropriate plates on the back you do so at your own risk.

I understand that many will consider this unjust / unnecessary / a load of cr*p but as a Mod for this site I feel obliged to tell you what I believe to be to be the current position.

On balance you may well getaway with ignoring this. If so, good on you. If not --- your choice

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Ray S.

I know this comes up often but . . . from the horses mouth so to speak and as an on site observer. . . what exactly are the requirements for the 'plates'? Sizes, patterns - vertical, horizontal, diagonal, L to R, R to L colours and where to be fixed.

Confused.com

Sorry - confused.MikeE

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
we just returned from Spain and as our outfit is 41 feet i fitted the plates ,we saw some big outfits on site and on the road ,even a fifth wheeler, none had any plates on ,i was the odd one out ,but i felt better with them fitted you never if you have an accident will your insurance pay out ,all details of the plates can be found on the CC web site

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray S.

I know this comes up often but . . . from the horses mouth so to speak and as an on site observer. . . what exactly are the requirements for the 'plates'? Sizes, patterns - vertical, horizontal, diagonal, L to R, R to L colours and where to be fixed.

Confused.com

Sorry - confused.MikeE
As you would expect all a bit complicated. Best summary etc. is probably on the Caravan Club website which will tell you all about plates and rules and suggest soources of supply in UK

G

We too fitted a single long plate last year, and whilst we saw outfits without, for the sake of

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Perhaps you were stopped because the orange and red signs used in the rest of Europe to denote long loads are of a different size to what the Spainish authorities require. They specify two 500 by 250mm plates with a 40mm wide red border, compared to the 565 by 200mm plates used in the rest of the EU or 525 by 250mm plates which also used in the UK. Even the thickness of the aluminium is specified (1.4

G

We were not stopped with the caravan with our aluminium plate on which was to the spec and size descibed in a mammouth thread last year, we were stopped 3 years ago on our Bessaccar motorhome between Zamora and the Portugese border, not towing anything. We were asked for our passports and driving documents by 2 policemen who had a sort of road block who looked at the docs, said a load of words we didnt understand and sent us on our way, and with little of the language I would not fancy arguing the toss about my outfit being 3cm under 12m.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings All,

I'm currently at Benicasim in Spain and, prior to journey though, I put on the required ally plates.

On arrival and on observing the other outfits already on site I have to say that I am very much on the minority, HOWEVER, despite having a'Retired Policemans' card in my wallet, I would not like to have to try to argue my way out of a journey to an ATM to pay the fine.

I'd rather they have to try to earn their money by having to find offences than me blatently ignoring their regulations.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We were not stopped with the caravan with our aluminium plate on which was to the spec and size descibed in a mammouth thread last year, we were stopped 3 years ago on our Bessaccar motorhome between Zamora and the Portugese border, not towing anything. We were asked for our passports and driving documents by 2 policemen who had a sort of road block who looked at the docs, said a load of words we didnt understand and sent us on our way, and with little of the language I would not fancy arguing the toss about my outfit being 3cm under 12m.
Simon,

From your description, you were being subjected to what lawyers call "A fishing trip".

In other words, you were being stopped in order that they, the Portugese Police, were hoping to find offences with which they could fine you.

Stupidly, they picked on someone who, by the display of the rearward signs was displaying an understanding in the regs and therefore would not be easy prey.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts