Outside locker locks seized.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A friend of mine has a Lunar caravan, I think only about 4 years old, and the outer locker door to under the bed, both locks have siezed up.
He can get the key into the lock but cannot turn the barrel, as the pins in the barrel are stuck in the fully down position. He has tried WD 40 and "Three in One" oil to get the pins to release. But they are still stuck.
Any tips to help. He has managed to remove the locks from the locker door.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Probably best bet is Graphite Lock Lubricant available on Amazon and elsewhere for about 5.00, sounds ideal for the task
He has tried that, but the pins are still siezed, I think that stuff would be great, after the pins are released. I thought maybe immersing, the locks in "Mouse Milk", No it's not April 1st.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Are the locks accessible from inside, under the bed - if so the locking arms can be unscrewed allowing the locks to be removed and replaced.

Missed the last line of the OP - he's already got that far!

Reactions: Hutch
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It is odd that two have seized and both in the same locker. I recently changed my battery locker. The new one came with a lock and keys. I tried to put the old barrel in to the new lock. But no luck, different make and size. now have an extra key to deal with.

With modern locks I am sure getting replacements for the same key is possible. So worth a try. I discovered that my van had a faulty door lock on it. It worked fine. Problem was it would work with any old key. Van was new, but Lunar and my dealer tried to give me the run around.

I managed to find the lock manufacturer, it was not (Hartal). But it was part of an international company. They had a UK office. When I called them they were disgusted with Lunars response and said they would be in touch with them. If Lunar did not fix the problem then they would do it. Lunar then obliged.

John

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
I'd either soak them in plusgas or a jar of diesel.
Might also be worthwhile heating them up with a hairdryer once they have had a nice soak.
Once (hopefully) free, let them dry out and then apply graphite lube.

Kev

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
WD40 is a water dispersant so not really suitable.
GT85 is a lubricant carrying Teflon, and a degreaser (try using it on your hands to remove paint - magic!) but the Teflon remains behind.

Sounds to me that the wrong key is being used. One lock seized, unfortunate: both seized simultaneously, very unlikely.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Very very rare for both locks to have seized🤔.
Go with Roger. Access from under the bed. Has a chair or something fallen against the door jamming the locking arms?
Plus gas every time for penetrating fluid.
Does his key work all the other locks on the caravan ? Has he tried the spare key?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, he now tells me that two others on the front locker failed about a year ago, he is using the correct key, he has removed the locks, and is trying the soaking idea, I will see him tomorrow. Whatnhe doesn't want is a different key for every lock.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Very strange Hutch. Those locker doors and locks have been around for decades and are on the whole pretty bullet proof. Has he been using a”lubricant” that may have damaged the locks🤔🤔

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Very strange Hutch. Those locker doors and locks have been around for decades and are on the whole pretty bullet proof. Has he been using a”lubricant” that may have damaged the locks🤔🤔
I will ask him tomorrow, when we meet up for a pint before lunch, he is normally pretty clued up, but he does ride an old Norton motorbike.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
No visible signs of why they both seized?
Possible malicious damage with super glue by one of the current fossil fuel protestors?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
No visible signs of why they both seized?
Possible malicious damage with super glue by one of the current fossil fuel protestors?
Not sure you can turn the barrel from the back, but not by using the key. He now leaves the toilet one unlocked.I will spray mine with graphite of teflon, next time Its out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts