Overhead locker doors

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
When the caravan is in storage I leave them open to allow air circulation and prevent damp. When we're using the caravan I leave them open to prevent condensation. The only time I close them is when we're traveling, and apart from the ones over the kitchen area they're near enough empty (we use the front ones for clothing which we transport in the car). I'm seriously thinking about removing the ones over the bench seats in the front and putting them in the loft until we sell the caravan - I'm guessing there would be around 15kg payload saving, and as my caravan is naturally nose heavy it would alow me to leave stuff under the bench seats rather than move it to the back of the van when towing to get the correct nose weight.

What do you think?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Do they interface with the wall structure of the caravan, in which case taking them out may introduce flexibility which may cause problems on seams, seals. Removing the locker doors will reduce propensity to condensation and improve payload and take some weight off of the nose.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Can't really understand why you feel the need to leave these lockers open when your caravan is in use. They are designed to be closed!
In my caravan these lockers are nowhere near "closed in" spaces, with plenty of room fir air circulation.
As for removing them, well it's your caravan to do with as you wish. But I think you will find them somewhat difficult to remove with damage. Plus, as Clive has said, removal may have an adverse effect on the structural stiffness of the caravan.

So basically, I wouldn't dream of doing what you are contemplating.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Do they interface with the wall structure of the caravan, in which case taking them out may introduce flexibility which may cause problems on seams, seals. Removing the locker doors will reduce propensity to condensation and improve payload and take some weight off of the nose.
I don't think so. They just have a couple of hinges on the top and a small spring clip to keep them closed on the bottom. I can't see them providing any structural strength at all.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Can't really understand why you feel the need to leave these lockers open when your caravan is in use. They are designed to be closed!
In my caravan these lockers are nowhere near "closed in" spaces, with plenty of room fir air circulation.
I leave them open based on my experience. In September last year we were away during a cold wet spell, returning to the caravan and hanging our wet coats in the shower to dry after our outings. I found condensation on the walls inside the lockers, I left them open and they dried in an hour or so. It probably wouldn't be an issue most of the time but I always leave them open now just incase.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I leave them open based on my experience. In September last year we were away during a cold wet spell, returning to the caravan and hanging our wet coats in the shower to dry after our outings. I found condensation on the walls inside the lockers, I left them open and they dried in an hour or so. It probably wouldn't be an issue most of the time but I always leave them open now just incase.
Sorry I thought you were thinking of removing the lockers. Shouldn’t be a problem removing doors.

Reactions: Beardy
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I would just point out that no-one has ever come into this forum mentioning a problem with condensation under the curcumstances you have outlined.
For my part I think you are over-reacting on a grand scale. But, as I said earlier, it's your caravan to do with as you wish. (I also thought you were looking at removing all of the locker, not just the doors)

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I would just point out that no-one has ever come into this forum mentioning a problem with condensation under the curcumstances you have outlined.
For my part I think you are over-reacting on a grand scale. But, as I said earlier, it's your caravan to do with as you wish. (I also thought you were looking at removing all of the locker, not just the doors)
There are lots of posts about condensation in wardrobes and cupboards, maybe not detailing the circumstances, but condensation forms when warm humid air hits a cold surface, so drying clothes inside on a cold day is highly likely to cause it.

Do you have vents in your overhead lockers to allow air circulation? That was the other option I was considering, but removing the doors would be much easier (just a few screws).

Not sure why people thought I was considering removing the lockers given the thread title.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think you will be surprised at just how light these doors are, try removing one. On the caravans I have had. The doors are deliberately designed so they do not fully shut so there is plenty of circulation. I then just leave them open when in storage. But I never found condensation to be a problem. And we cooked and showered in the van.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Condensation used to occur a lot years ago on the walls by seats and beds. Large baffle boards were fitted solving that problem. Higher up never had any problem nor in wardrobes. However our caravan is now 15 years old and shall we say very well ventilated!
Removal of the cupboard doors seems a wasted exercise imo but I accept others see accept others see it differently. When cooking there is an argument that the doors are the first line of defence against condensation. Why encourage it inside the cupboards and wardrobes.

Last two years I have been experimenting to stop the usual mildew build up on the faces of the doors.Before they were polished with a spray polish and left open.
No they are kept closed and just prior to storage wiped over with a damp cloth containing a bleach / water solution to kill any spores . It worked very well last year, not perfectly but better than previous.

It is of course a darn sight easier to clean a door face than all the nooks and crannies inside😉

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I could get condensation in rear transverse overhead lockers in a Swift. It only occurred in the cooler months and if clothes were too tightly packed. The clothes adjacent to the rear outer wall could get quite wet. The answer was to pull the bundle forward to leave an air gap between the clothes and the rear wall

Re Dustys comment about anti condensation boards. We bought a new Bailey Series 5 Bordeaux and unlike the two caravans before it had no anti condensation boards behind the lounge seats or down the side of the bed. Not long after purchase the media commented on the lack of boards and Bailey’s response was as the caravan was so well insulated boards were not necessary.

We had had the caravan only a few months before I complained to Chipping Sodbury Caravans who took it up with Bailey who had become aware of the problem. They had sanctioned dealers to fit boards but had not made it public knowledge. Made me wonder then do the makers actually do testing in their caravans in real life conditions?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You may also remember Clive , Bailey some years ago boasted about their aluminium framed windows. I have them in the front. Guess what that mother of invention couldn’t have created a better condensation nest. Complaints then to Mr Howard, the big boss ensured no more aluminium frames were used.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You may also remember Clive , Bailey some years ago boasted about their aluminium framed windows. I have them in the front. Guess what that mother of invention couldn’t have created a better condensation nest. Complaints then to Mr Howard, the big boss ensured no more aluminium frames were used.
I had a Series 5 Pageant Bordeaux which must have had non aluminium window frames as I can’t recall condensation being much of an issue. On colder nights particularly if there had been cooking and even with two dogs it wasn’t an issue. Just wipe front windows with old towel when you get up. . Had that caravan for nine years and overall it gave excellent service. Probably our best ever.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I could get condensation in rear transverse overhead lockers in a Swift. It only occurred in the cooler months and if clothes were too tightly packed. The clothes adjacent to the rear outer wall could get quite wet.
That's exactly how I found the condensation, took out a jumper and noticed that a sleeve felt damp when I put it on. My lockers aren't really deep enough to keep things away from the walls.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I had a Series 5 Pageant Bordeaux which must have had non aluminium window frames as I can’t recall condensation being much of an issue. On colder nights particularly if there had been cooking and even with two dogs it wasn’t an issue. Just wipe front windows with old towel when you get up. . Had that caravan for nine years and overall it gave excellent service. Probably our best ever.
Only fitted to the Senator range I think

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts