Overnight Before Dover Ferry

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Hiya

We're looking at the best option before catching an 8am ferry to France and onto Maastricht in July.

2 options:-
do we take another days hol and travel down during the day and stay overnight
or travel in the wee small hours.
It's now that I wish I had the confidence to tow...help the hubby out.
How have you found/dealt with the long journey (with regular stops)
Recommendations welcome.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Jackwing, the first time we went abroad we travelled overnight for an early ferry, but only once! Absolutely knackered for the next couple of days, and that was many years ago!
Now we book a 12 noon ferry, travel the day before, and stay at Caravan Club CL at Lenacre Farm, Whitfield. Its only 10 minutes from the terminal, so we don't need an early start.
But we are retired now, so time isn't important.

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Thank you, think we'll travel the day before too. Does anyone know what the roads are like in Dunkirk through to Maastricht?
I would considered sharing the driving/towing if the motorways are as quiet as France. I see many women towing, Ladies, what do you think?

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Jackwing, We came down from Maastricht to Calais last September and found it a relatively comfortable drive in 1 day with a couple of stops. Motorways in The Netherlands were slightly busier than in France but once into Belgium it became more like the M1. I just leave plenty of room between myself and the one in front and watch out for the locals who drive on their brakes more than we do.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
I ALWAYS share the towing with my other half. We do 2 hours each and have a 10 minute or so break between shifts. We find it works well in terms of covering ground and means that neither gets too tired before a break. However, as I am better at navigation than him, he usually does the first and last shift of the day, so this probably means that he actually drives further than I do. Continental roads are so much quieter and more caravan friendly than the UK that it is a pleasure.
As for stop before ferry - I guess it rather depends where you are sailing from, but we always use the tunnel and go to Black Horse Farm CC site.
Jo

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have to agree that CC site at Blackhorse Farm if you want to go from Dopver early. It has special pitches away from the rest for those using the ferry but it may be members only but if not the CC charge far too much for it to be viable for non members.
The C&CC site at Canterbury also has ferry pitches but a bit further away, they also penalise non members.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Ray, did you not find Blackhorse very noisy? We tried it once, but were so disapointed that we've never risked it since.Rather an unpleasant site all round, we thought.
Lenacre farm, however is quiet, peaceful and beautiful and much cheaper, but of course has no facilities.
As in so much in life, you pay your money, and make your choice!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Excellent CC CLat Page Farm, Hythe, just a few minutes away from Eurotunnel but good for Dover too and very quiet. Wide gates, easy to leave without disturbing others.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Emmerson, We had two nights there and had no noise problems. Noise is a personal thing but cannot remember hearing anything from the road. There were two rows of caravans nearer than us and higher up so it may be there is a problem there that we missed.
I would add though that we live fairly near the M74 so our idea of road noise might not be everyones.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Years ago we used to leave home at 0400 to catch a ferry from Portsmouth leaving at 2015.It is a 400 mile tow from our home,We did this for a number of years until it suddenly dawned on us it left no room for holdups such as punctures,traffic jams etc.
Now we are both retired we can take our time and leapfrog through England staying a night or two here and there with our final stop at Woodstock which gives us a leisurely drive to the port for the evening sailing.
I recommend you stay overnight near the port,much more civilised and a lot less tiring.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
emmerson said:
Jackwing, the first time we went abroad we travelled overnight for an early ferry, but only once! Absolutely knackered for the next couple of days, and that was many years ago!
Now we book a 12 noon ferry, travel the day before, and stay at Caravan Club CL at Lenacre Farm, Whitfield. Its only 10 minutes from the terminal, so we don't need an early start.
But we are retired now, so time isn't important.

I would back that 100%, and Mrs Broadley is very accomdating for late arrivals and early departures. However beware one point: the farmyard through which you drive is rather uneven and if you have a long outfit it is easy to ground it. Choose your path carefully.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
We have used Black Horse 5 times before taking morning trains on Eurotunnel over the last 3 years. Never had a problem. Well kept site with large pitches, even on the overnight ones. I would avoid the pub across the road if your eating out in the evening, far better places around. Fish and Chip van arrives some nights which seems very popular.

PETERA

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
We have eaten at the pub across the road several times. While it is pretty ordinary pub fare, we found it fine and the fact that it is so close to the site makes it an obvious choice. Do you have a particular reason for avoiding it?
Jo

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Reasons for avoiding the pub across the road. Only used it once and it was 3 years ago. The food wasn't very good and the pub wasn't very clean. Reason's enough. Tend to use the New Inn at Etchinghall and the Rose and Crown at Elham. Both about 10 mins drive away and both in a different league.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
We have used the Black Horse site on a few occasions, with no noise problems, the facilities are clean and well kept, and it is ideal for the Dover Ferries.
We ate at the May Fly Inn in Hawkinge, which you will pass if coming from the A20, it's behind the LIDL Store on your left, off the A260 Spitfire Way. It is a modern Marsden's Inn, there were 4 of us, we all had the the Steak Special at £10-00 a head, it was spot on, as was evidensed by the empty plates we left. I highly recommend it to all.
Regards, George

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts