overnight services in northern France

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If we're going that way we usually stay on the service area near St Hilaire Cottes - which is perhaps not far south enough for you. It's a good place to say, with not too much traffic noise, dedicated caravan area, good showers for the morning (free - on asking for the key at the cashier desk) and good coffees to set you up for the morning!

You'll get lots of posts saying not to stay on service areas, but we've stayed here many times with no problems. We now tend to go the other way (Abbeville/Rouen) to by-pass Paris and stay at Aire de la Baie de Somme which is good - and has an even better caravan area, with private 'pitches' in bays, picnic tables, and rubbish bins!

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hey Val

Just checked. 66 miles, thats ok.

What is the possibility of turning up and the area is full? Mind you I suppose I just drive on don't I.

Thanks for the tip Val. Sounds like a plan.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If the caravan area is full, then as mentioned, there's another area set aside for caravans nearer to the restaurant and shop - however, if this is full, there's a huge car parking area, and lorry park. The French are quite relaxed about where you park and there's no-one going around wheel-clamping those who 'park in the wrong area'. They are just glad you're there, using their facilities, and keeping them in jobs!

G

No Ian. I live in France and have never had to pay to stop with the caravan when overnighting on Services.

In fact I have spent more on parking charges here in the UK for each of the last six weeks than I have spent in France in over a year.

Sorry,but. Rip Off Britain!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I'm with you on that, euro! We've just come back from France, and only once paid for parking - at the Pont du Gard. This is what we love about France - they generally want to encourage people to visit, and spend, and so parking is mostly free.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We too use the Baie de Somme service area near Abbeyville for overnight stops, this in winter and summer, my only observation is that we do not leave our unit unattended, this purely as a precaution, this we do in all countries.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts