Overnight site near Langres - France

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi - Travelling from Zeebrugge to South of France in September and hoping to get as far down as Langres (South of Troyes)on the first day. Ferry docks very early so we should have a good run at it.

Anyone know any sites suitable for a stop over in that area? Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
As you come out of Langres on the N74 there's a site on the right-hand side of the road. It's mainly used by over-nighters, so it fills up by late afternoon and is virtually empty by 10 the following morning. Very popular with Dutch caravanners. When we were there, pitches were not marked out or numbered. We put down the legs where we could find space.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
There's also Lac de Liez, very nearby, which we've found a very pleasant site to overnight on. Nice restaurant, good views, and not that far from the main route north. It also takes Camping Cheques, so for

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi S,

We have been going to Langres for the past 25 years or so and our choice is

Camping Navarre

9 Boulevard Marechal de Lattre de Tassigny

52200 Langres

Tel 03 25 87 37 92

(direction centre ville)

Open March til October

66 pitches

mail: campingnavarre@free.fr

Web: www.campingnavarre.com

It is close to the centre, short walk away, fills up quickly after 4:30 pm approx. Has new shower blocks and last year (2008) the cost was _13.20/night (tax incl) for two adults with electricity.

Hope this is helpful

regards

Colin & Joyce

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Colin/Joyce

Thank you thats the decision made then! I am regretting not taking more time to get down South now, but I have all the other sites booked.

Based on your long experience, do you think it is 'doable' to get there in one day from Zeebrugge?

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi S

You appear to have taken a decision. But for other interested readers - there is a lovely Camping Municipal in Arc-en-Barrois, which is northwest of Langres. Leave Autoroute A5 at junction 24 and it is 12 km south. Pleasant short walk along river to centre of small town, which has some good restaurants.

Cheers

Paul

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi S,

We start our journey from a campsite in Nordausques just outside Calais (our overnight stop the first night). In 2008 we left that site at 10:00 and arrived at Langres at 17:10 a journey of 310 miles broken by a fuel stop and an hour lunch and the odd Q at the toll booth. In 2007 the same journey took 7 hours 20 mins with similar breaks. In 2006 we took a different route (tunnel rather than ferry) stopped overnight further down route and did the 284 mile journey in 6 hours with a lunch break.

Google map estimates two routes one at 328 miles using the A26 and the other at 363 miles using the A31. If you think this is too far, have you thought about stopping in Troyes? A distance of 258 miles from Zeebrugge which depending on outfit, traffic, number of drivers (we share the driving in two hour approx. stints) etc is far more doable.

Zeebrugge to Langres is 'doable' but will be a long hard day driving and will require good planning of breaks etc. Troyes on the other hand is still a long day but with the shorter distance not as tiring.

Colin n Joyce

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Colin/Joyce again - and to everyone else who contributed.

We stopped at Troyes last year but didnt particularly like the site, so would prefer to 'crack on' a little further this year. The first night is the only one where we have no sites booked, so really we can stop anywhere - ie if we have a good run we will definintely head for Langres as it will make the next leg of the journey so much easier. If not we will try and find somewhere else.

I was wanting to avoid toll roads as much as possible this year (boring and expensive), but will probably use the A6 on day 1 just for the convenience/time saving.

Thanks again to you all.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We use this route: At the junction of the A26 and A1 take the A26 towards St Quentin, off the A26 at junction 11, direction Soissons, on the D1. Continue on the D1, by-passing Tergnier, and carry on, by-passing Soissons (some good supermarkets just off that by-pass). Continue on the Dl direction Troyes via Chateau Thierry, Montmirail - which is the only wiggly bit through the village, Sezanne, by passing the town then take the D373 direction Troyes, via Anglure, Mery sur Seine then just after Mery sur Seine take the N19 direction Troyes. We then continue cross-country to Dijon usually, but you could then take the A5 from Troyes to Langres.

It's quite a quick route - and we've been much further south, generally stopping overnight at Lac de Panthier at Vandenesse

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
We use this route: At the junction of the A26 and A1 take the A26 towards St Quentin, off the A26 at junction 11, direction Soissons, on the D1. Continue on the D1, by-passing Tergnier, and carry on, by-passing Soissons (some good supermarkets just off that by-pass). Continue on the Dl direction Troyes via Chateau Thierry, Montmirail - which is the only wiggly bit through the village, Sezanne, by passing the town then take the D373 direction Troyes, via Anglure, Mery sur Seine then just after Mery sur Seine take the N19 direction Troyes. We then continue cross-country to Dijon usually, but you could then take the A5 from Troyes to Langres.

It's quite a quick route - and we've been much further south, generally stopping overnight at Lac de Panthier at Vandenesse
'We start our journey from a campsite in Nordausques just outside Calais'

Have you any details of this site as I'm looking for a Calais overnighter in September and again early October

Thanks

Brian

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi S,

We start our journey from a campsite in Nordausques just outside Calais (our overnight stop the first night). In 2008 we left that site at 10:00 and arrived at Langres at 17:10 a journey of 310 miles broken by a fuel stop and an hour lunch and the odd Q at the toll booth. In 2007 the same journey took 7 hours 20 mins with similar breaks. In 2006 we took a different route (tunnel rather than ferry) stopped overnight further down route and did the 284 mile journey in 6 hours with a lunch break.

Google map estimates two routes one at 328 miles using the A26 and the other at 363 miles using the A31. If you think this is too far, have you thought about stopping in Troyes? A distance of 258 miles from Zeebrugge which depending on outfit, traffic, number of drivers (we share the driving in two hour approx. stints) etc is far more doable.

Zeebrugge to Langres is 'doable' but will be a long hard day driving and will require good planning of breaks etc. Troyes on the other hand is still a long day but with the shorter distance not as tiring.

Colin n Joyce

Have you any details of this site as I'm looking for a Calais overnighter in September and again early October

Thanks

Brian

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site

Thanks

Brian
Hi Brian,

We have used the last few years the following

Hotel Bal Caravaning

500 rue du Vieux Ch

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
S,

Co-incidently we are in Langres now, using the internet cafe by the large free parking area just outside the city walls. We are staying at Camping Hautorielle which is very popular with overnighters - especially Dutch and German.Just 7 miles north of Langres on the outskirts of Bannes. Small restaurant on site if you do not want to self cater. Do not have contact details on me - we are having a sightseeing day - but I am sure the usual search sites will come up with what is needed.

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Mike

It looks like we have several choices in that area now - we will definitely be trying to get down there from Zeebrugge in the day when we go in september. Have a great holiday.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
And here's another route for consideration. We took the autoroute to St. Quentin and stayed overnight at Urvillers (the service area on the A26) In the morning we left the autoroute at the services and took the N44 to Reims. To get round the City we joined the A4 and left at Jn 26 to get back to the N44 which took us to Vitry. From there the A4 went to Saint Dizier and then to N67 to Chaumont. From there the N19 goes to Langres. All good roads with moving traffic.

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks John - my problem is that I am trying to get to langres in a single day. From what you say, you did it over two - probably sensible, and I might not be able to get that far south in one go.

Aug 28, 2008
Visit site
I would have thought the 328 miles (or thereabouts) is certainly do-able assuming you get in to Zeebrugge at a reasonable time. Motorway all the way would appear the obvious option but I have used the route recommended by John D in the past and am likely to use it again this year. As it is slightly more direct than the motorway routes the reduced distance makes up to some extent for the lower speeds.

At 50 mph which should be reasonably achievable on motorways thats just over 6 hours driving leaving a fair time for rest stops etc

Last year we stayed at the campsite recommended by Colin/Joyce and can recommend it. However if you do decide to use this then do ensure that you take the correct left turn which runs at a slight angle to the main road. Entrance and exit to the campsite is easy using this option. Do not make the mistake that we did by turning sharp left at right angles to the main road which swiftly leads into the centre of Langres!

However we arrived in the end, slightly less hirsute, and a quick look on google maps using the address previously supplied will make it very clear which is the correct route to use.

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Mike & all others

Thanks ever so much for your advice - its much appreciated. A print out of all replies will be in the folder when we go. I only wish we had not pre booked all the other sites and therefore not been in such haste to get down to the south. The langres area sounds great.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Must agree with the advice about getting the right route into Langres. I got it wrong driving solo in a Kia Sedona - once described as having the turning circle of a cross channel ferry - eventually managed to get out. I can think of more fun ways of spending 20 minutes though. Dancing bare foot on hot coals comes to mind.

And yes, Langres is fascinating, as you will see when you get there, and is worth a longer visit.

TRENDING THREADS