Overnight stop

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi Folks
We are travelling from Edinburgh to Portsmouth in June to catch the ferry to Saint Malo, I think we could do it in one go..? however as a back up could you good people recommend a good overnight stop roundabout the half way mark

Many thanks
p.s we are new to this

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The Caravan Club site at Chapel Lane just south of Birmingham is just off the motorway and a popular overnight stop. It takes non members but at a price. http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclubapps/applications/uk-caravan-sites-and-parks/SiteDetails.aspx?csid=21849&arrivalDate=&departureDate=
Our neighbour did it in one go with a caravan once from Glasgow but not again. It is too far unless you have two drivers and the passenger can take a nap when the other is driving. Lorry drivers who are used to the distances might just get away with it but it is a holiday not a marathon.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I think Brum is perhaps a bit too far for a stop. There are some sites around Stoke that might suit. If coming down the A1 then the Harrogate Caravan Park (the former CC site at the Great Yorkshire Showground) is probably a good place. Access too and from Hg is easy from the A1, and there is shopping within a short walk - and a pub with food just across the field (tarmac path.)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Jimmy,

I think it better to do in two days, doing about 60% on the first day. Looking at the clubs sites that fit in to this equation, you could consider the CC site at Warwick Racecourse, which is not far from Junction 15 on the M40. This is about 320 miles from Edinburgh, leaving about 130 miles to Portsmouth on the second day.
One other consideration is what time your ferry is leaving Portsmouth, as you will have to arrive probably at least 1 hour prior to sailing.

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies, it now looks like we are going to leave late Friday afternoon circa 1500 hrs and stop over somewhere around the carnforth/Lancaster area, would appreciate a suggestion for an overnight stop, on the Saturday we will head down to Portsmouth for the 2015 Brittany ferry to Saint Malo would appreciate suggestion for comfort breaks etc

Many Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts