Overnight stops in Germany and Italy

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone
We are looking to spend a roadside stopover somewhere between Calais and Rudesheim am Rhein (maybe around Kerpen) and again during our trek to Rome (Roma Flash).
We have done several overnights in France (I know many of you will frown at this practice) and need info about roadside aires in Germany and Italy, in terms of how do they compare with France.
All advice gratefully received.
Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are so many campsites in Germany why stay on Aires? Some of the larger ones might be fine but many are quite near the motorway and some no more than glorified laybys. On our way down to Rome some weeks ago we noticed quite a few small aires in Italy but again would you want to stay overnight? Even the Service Stations are not large on some Italian motorways. For some strange reasons many of them where being rebuilt in parts! There is a campsite north of Florence called MugelloVerde which would make a reasonable overnight stop and not too far from the motorway and likewise the Municipal at Ferrara near Bologne.
David

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that, David.
We may decide to use proper sites between Rudesheim and Rome as we have built in up to 3 nights for the 820 mile journey so will be in no rush.
But on the journey from Calais to Rudersheim, we will leave the tunnel at around 4.00 pm. I plan to drive as far as (safely) possible on that evening and spend a roadside night. We will then drive south alomg the Rhein on the next morning to arrive at Rudesheim at midday when the rally opens.
Your website (caravan travels) remains as a great reference to gain from your experiencies of european travels...so thank you.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
hi brum
which route are you intending to take from rudeshiem to rome? if your intentions are to go straight down via switzerland then colderia service station [chiasso] switzerland.is a huge service station with police presence,and large amount of holiday makers parking up for a night stop over,cars motorhomes and caravans. leaves you 350 ish miles short of rome which is more then possible in a days travel.stopped there dozens of times, in a car mostly although have done it twice in a motorhome.might be too noisy for some but has a
pleasent atomosphere....

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestion JonnyG
I intended to go via Austria and the Brenner Pass but looking at Google maps, there is very little in it in terms of mileage so may choose Switzerland route for the journey. It depends on what the cost of Vignettes for both countries is.
Anyone know what Vignettes cost for a (3 axle, 5 Tonne) motorhome.
We will return via Brenner because we have a 3 night stay booked at Natterersee in Austria.
BTW, I cannot find Colderia on the map. Are you able to help me to find it because the service station sounds just right.
Thanks for your help
Brum

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
hi sorry about the poor spelling. coldrerio services A2 motorway chiasso switzerland . you should find some links from that,if not tell me
and i will...

.routes?
as you say not much in it and actually we will be traveling via switzerland in just over 2 weeks time,then returning via the brenner pass as we fininsh off our holiday in the dolomites.
err 5 tonnes motorhome?twin rear axles? i believe you will need a special box for use in Austria as you are over 3.5 tonne,also different speed limits apply cannot remember it allbut when we were loooking into motorhomes the rules and speed limits across europe concerning motorhomes over 3.5 tonnes gave me a headache....

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
http://www.camping-gamp.com/en/index.asp

dont know if you intend to hit Austria in one go from rome if not this place does stop over. quient old tirol style town,and they do decent food,in the town if you like your beer be aware the local brew is yeast filled and cloudy,not being
a expert on beer i complained it was cloudy!!!!

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks JonnyG
The services at coldrerio look a good place to stop.
Stilll need to find info on vignettes before final routes are planned.
Thanks for the 'heads up' in regards to speed limits, I have a list of limits for different countries.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Vehicles over 3.5 tonnes staying up to 30 days in Switzerland pay 3.25 Swiss Francs per day with a minimum of 25 Francs.
However, if you only wish to transit Switzerland in a single day and come back through Switzerland again, it's cheaper to obtain a multiple transit permit, valid for 10 transit journeys of 1 day each and valid for 1 year. That costs 32.50 Francs.
Note that Swiss tolls for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes apply for the use of all roads, unlike the vignette for cars which only applies to motorways.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Lutz
we will travel back through Austria because we are staying at Naterersee so will only travel through Switzerland on one day, is it possible to buy a single day permit?

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again Lutz.
I believe that I will need a 'Paybox' for metered travel through Austria. However, not sure about how to get one.
Your advice would again be greatly appreachiated.
Brum

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi Brum
We too are going to Roma Flash. We are entering Italy via the Frejus Tunnel as we have a few days in the French Alps first. We shall break our journey with an overnight stop at the little site at Modena North. It was quite satisfactory for one night when we last used it a few years ago even though it is near the motorway exit. Have you been to Roma Flash before? I am a little concerned about the 'small' roads leading to the site as suggested in the Club hand book. I was considering going on the motorway type road to Viterbo and then coming through Vetrella and Sutri instead of the route suggested which is via Civita. Any ideas? By the way when are you there?
Happy Travels BarryB

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi BarryB
We are booked at Roma Flash from Mon 6th Aug for 10 nights, have not looked at site enterance roads yet, I was going to trust the Garmin but will Google map it now you have raised concern.
Will you be there at the same time as us?

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Having taken advise from Lutz and the Caravan Club in terms of the cost of travelling through Austria in a 5 Tonne motorhome we have changed from Natterer See in Austria and now staying at Jungfraublick in Switzerland on our return journey.
We will now keep away from Austria which is a shame because we were looking forward to staying in the Tyrol.
It would seem that the Austrian authorities will not recognise Euro emmission certificates that are not home issued so charge the maximum.

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi Brum
We are booked into Roma Flash from 28th July to 8th August so might see you there. I have tried to follow the routes to the site on google street map and I think we shall use the major road via Viterbo then down to Sutri. The last bit to the lake (from any direction)is shown as a little white road but it does not seem too bad and there is no other way without going miles round and then these are still little roads. I must admit that I do like a motorway to within 100 yards of the site (LOL) but it will not be the case this year.
Happy travels and safe journey...
BarryB

TRENDING THREADS