Overnighting in the UK

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm afraid this petition is going to the wrong people - actually PROVIDING a UK version of Aires wouldn't be a job for central government.
What WOULD be worth asking them for, would be a change to the Caravan Sites Act, simply stating that self-propelled vehicles are not included in the definition of "caravan."
This would make it much easier for councils or other landowners to allow overnighting, without having to either create a full-blown site, or have a "CL-type" exemption.
But of course, the Clubs (including the newly-rebranded "Caravan and Motorhome Club,") would be unlikely to support this, or any other proposal which might lead to off-site overnighting!

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
It was more an opportunity/prompt for us – and the motorcaravanning community – to consider this and what people would like to see, more than anything about that petition in particular.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
When will people learn? In addition to Tony's comments, the petition is about parking. It might help if the petitioner at least knew the difference between parking and camping (which is what one is doing when inhabiting a vehicle).
The article is a bit disappointing in that regard as well. Whilst Nightstops and the "some car parks" mentioned operate legally that is because they comply with the 1960 Act. That is a requirement of anywhere that allows camping in a motorhome, including vineyards and farms, which the article appears not to acknowledge.
Tony is correct in that the easiest way to expand availability of places for overnight camping for motorhomes would be to relax the conditions in the 1960 Act. Rather more relevant than support from the clubs, though, would be support from motorhome owners. As I write the petition has 6,487 signatures. Compared to the number of motorhomes in the UK that is a drop in the ocean. Without significantly more support no government is going to take a petition seriously, even one which requests what it wants accurately.,
Graham

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
That distinction between parking and camping is important. Unfortunately, in the UK it's about what happens INSIDE the vehicle (I mean cooking and sleeping - behave!).
In France, it's all about the OUTSIDE - as long as you don't put anything outside (including levelling ramps!), you're parking, not camping, and normally that's ok anywhere a car can park
It would be good to get that legal change too, but I think the definition of "Caravan" would have to come first, to take us out of the scope of the Act.

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The NCC says there are about 205,000 active motorhomers. This suggest that c97% of motorhomers believe there are more important issues such as funding social services, the future of diesel engines [a topic on the CAMC forum], whether the Brexit issue will have a long lasting adverse impact on continental touring, and air quality or are simply indifferent and just enjoy motorhoming whilst they can. :)

I do think it would be interesting for PM magazine or TV to do a bit of crystal ball gazing.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Given my experience of running my web site over the last 10 years or so I think that, unfortunately, it is the case that the 97% are simply indifferent when it comes to acting. Plenty will take advantage of what is there (legal or not) but just aren't interested in putting in any effort to bring about change.

I don't think changing the definition of "Caravan" would be a starter for (any) government. The main driver behind the 1960 Act (from what I understand) was to stop indiscriminate camping and removing motorhomes from the definition would negate that. A relaxation of the rules governing camping on private land is perhaps more practical. Some sort of Natural England (rather than club) CL scheme perhaps - some sort of simple and cheap licencing that farms, pubs &c could obtain without having to deal with clubs.

In practice, nothing is going to happen for the next 3 years at least as parliament will have hardly any time to spare given the effort needed in preparing to leave the EU.

Graham

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts