P.I.R. INSPECTION RE- VISITED

Mar 2, 2007
Visit site
I am currently replacing the 12N and 12S plugs on my two year old Amara with the new 13 pin plug. I am doing this exactly as described in the article in December's PC Mag., by joining the 12N and 12S cables to the 13 core cable using a 15 amp, 12 Way connector contained in a sandwich box mounted on the front bulkhead of a front bed locker. My question is, how will I fare when I have to have this new PIR inspection carried out? Any thoughts Damian?

p.s. My new tug has a 13 pin socket, hence the change.

Henry.

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
PIR has nothing to do with 12v at the moment other than visual inspection but NCC are rolling out a bolt-on 12v course to go alongside the 240v which i have to in the next 12 months.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Henry, as long as you make good connections there will be no problem.

As Dougie has said, at the moment the elv system(12v) will be tested as per normal.

What the next 12 months holds relating to elv testing is not known yet, apart from the fact that it will be changing.

Watch this space,,,,,,,,,,as soon as more is known, this forum users wuill be first to know (and first to rip any changes to pieces).

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
The 12v section was meant to be done as an additional day but the course wasnt ratified last year.

I dont see how we cant do both 240 and 12v test at the same time for very little or no extra cost over just doing the 12v.but we will see

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
If you read my post on the other thread you will see that as long as you do not rent out your unit, a PIR is not required so that is good news for caravanners who don't let their units.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi there

If you look around at some of the big dealers there is massive investment going on in there workshop area,s. New ramp,s rolling road set up for braked trailers etc. These dealers do not go to all this time and trouble and money not to get a good return on there investment.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
From the information I have seen on this subject, at the moment I agree with Ian, I do not think that this applies to touring vans, unless they are hired out.

Steve W

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Sorry Ian, your misinformed all touring caravans will need pir just the same as cars need mot regardless.
So yu are stating that Cornwall council have got it wrong. Somehow I doubt that and think that you have misinterpreted the PIR regulations.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
One way to settle this is to ask the two main clubs what they will require, do they need a PIR if so then they better start re thinking their finances as l am sure a majority of people will not pay the inflated prices that's been banned about.

Dougie has stated that if you don't have this be it at your peril, l for one disagree with is asumptions and thats what they are at the moment.

Until l see it passed in-law and sent to me like an Mot of a car, l will not accept its validity.

How can the NCC institute this, surley they are body that can only recommend, or have l missed something.

To many bureaucrats again trying to justify their positions and Joe public picking up the tab

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ian and Steve W.

The regulations Ian points to are correct, BUT read them carefully and you will find they ONLY relate to static caravans and mobile homes.

Touring caravans and motor homes are covered by other regulations and will need PIRs if the wiring regulations are fully enacted.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the PIR became mandatory for caravans and motorhomes then caravan main dealers would not get a look in except for under warranty units. Local electricians would compete and a thriving mobile service would ensue. Main dealers charge up to

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts