Packing to go away

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Do others take the minimal amount and buy when they arrive or pack as much as possible (weight limits adhered to of course). It always seem such a chore to get ready. There's only the two of us and two small terriers but we always seem to need so much stuff ! For instance do others take one coat one pair of shoes, two towels etc and visit the launderette while away ? We stay on CL sites usually without facilities. We take unread magazines, knitting, TV, DVD box set, you name it. We've been caravanning for 26 years now so I know it's a bit late to change, but just interested on how others make for a stress free preparation !!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We are going on holiday so to us washing is not for us so we pack everything. As there are only two of us we are not too pushed for weight. Clothes are the main problem as in this country you never know what to expect after the first week so a variety of clothes can be needed. We take a few towels but tend to dry them either on a whirligig or if the weather is bad on the hanging rail in the shower.
Most of the other things are caravan specific so do not need packing other than the television which travels in its original packing in the car boot to protect it.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Herself appears to be of the opinion that there are no shops other than those local to home, and that the weather is so changeable that we need to take all the clothes we have!
After 52 years marriede, and almost 50 caravanning I've given up complaining about it,as I won't change her now.
One day, I'll frighten her by weighing the van!

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I'm more with you emmerson. clothes for every type of weather and towels for the dogs and blankets for them !!! I do leave a lot in the van though from trip to trip if it's not been used. I try to take as much food as I can too. The heavy stuff does go in the car though. We don't take loungers though or awning tables etc so that's one blessing. Our awning tends to be a spare room for wet coats, dog food, wellies etc. Hubby seems to take all sorts of tools etc and many times has said ' You know that useless pack of fuses I have, or that set of jump leads.....' Oh well, better get back to my list of what to take !

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Started off caravanning with the old adage of "travel light". As the years progressed, and we purchased all the "good ideas" that were invented, it became a full blown logistics exercise to get the van and car ready. After years of Ebaying the junk, and whittling it down, we are now back to travelling light.
One fleece, couple of tracksuits, two pairs of jeans and loads of shorts and Tee shirts that can be hand washed. Decent shirt for pubbing when the occasion arises and thats pretty much it. One pair of trainers, one pair of flip flops, one pair of Berghaus. Have to save room for necessities like the Cadac and beer supplies.

Madame on the other hand takes half her wardrobe.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All too familiar folks ! But our trip is a bit longer - 120 days down to Spain. We leave immediately after Christmas so have to take warm clothes warm bedding etc for the trip down and usually use some on the way back too ! While supplied with excellent supermarkets here, they don't have some things I am told are essentials e.g. J Cloths and now OTC medicines such as paracetamol.
The bedding problem - thick heavy duvet for the cold far too hot once here - solved by summer weight duvet plus electric blanket.
Other take rather than buy items include toilet fluid, few cans of decent ale, and a large supply of vitamin and supplement tablets, plus whey protein powder. The latter is a bit tricky as port security are understandably interested in relatively large amounts of white powdery stuff.
Then there are my caravan spares and tool boxes.........

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Pinto,

Before I full-timed I would generally pack for the duration and do, largely, as you do - DVD box sets, a couple of books and saved up magazines!

Food-wise, we'd take enough for that night and the morning's breakfast.

We'd occasionally use a laundrette (if there was one on site), generally just to ease the burden on returning home.

Don't forget - you can always carry stuff in the car.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts