Page loading lag

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi
This would be a great web site if it were not for the page lag caused by the adverts loading.
I appreciate that the adverts pay towards some if not all the cost of hosting the site.
Is there a way to turn these off?

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Foggy,
Whilst I agree the adverts are a real pain, and they do slow the page loading down, unfortunately they are a necessary evil, as its the advertisers that fund the forum from the advertising revenues.

It was worse just a few weeks ago when not only could you not use the page until the adverts had loaded, but the page actually kept jumping about as the adverts loaded and re sized. It was incredibly distracting.

I am not aware of any method of turning the adverts off, its one of the penances we have to put up with for the free use of the forum.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Hello Foggy,
Whilst I agree the adverts are a real pain, and they do slow the page loading down, unfortunately they are a necessary evil, as its the advertisers that fund the forum from the advertising revenues.

It was worse just a few weeks ago when not only could you not use the page until the adverts had loaded, but the page actually kept jumping about as the adverts loaded and re sized. It was incredibly distracting.

I am not aware of any method of turning the adverts off, its one of the penances we have to put up with for the free use of the forum.

Hi ProfJohnL. The jumping around that you referred to was the direct cause of me seemingly posting into an inappropriate section of the forum - for which I was questioned/criticised for and that made me look that I was one door away from 'The Funny Farm'.
Despite replying to the observation/criticism and asking for a Mod to move my post into the appropriate section/topic area - I was ignored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
adverts and jumping around !!!!!! :woohoo: not here, firefox 3 and ad blocker plus add on.

Hi Colin. Thank you for your input. I already have the latest FireFox installed after issues and an un-installing exercise was carried out. I did not have the FireFox Add blocker installed but I have got it now.
Seemingly the jumping around has been an issue for some time on various sites and especially E'bay.
The most annoying thing currently about FireFox and E'bay is the number of times that FireFox 'Hangs' or 'Is not Responding'
I was beginning to believe that it was my PC but it is only an issue with E'bay.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
foggydave said:
Hi
Just loaded Firefox and added ad blocker. It does exactly what it says on the can. Thanks

Hi foggydave. I have run FireFox for many many years and it leaves Internet Explorer for dead.
That said - I use IE simply to bring a site up and then load a Desktop Short-cut and close down. I then use FireFox and the Desktop Short-cut to access the sites that I will use on a regular basis.
The addition of Ad-blocker has made a very worthwhile improvement.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
TheTravellingRooster said:
Hi ProfJohnL. The jumping around that you referred to was the direct cause of me seemingly posting into an inappropriate section of the forum - for which I was questioned/criticised for and that made me look that I was one door away from 'The Funny Farm'.
Despite replying to the observation/criticism and asking for a Mod to move my post into the appropriate section/topic area - I was ignored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????

Apologies, we really must learn to forget our domestic arrangements and to sit at computer desks 24/7 just in case you have any other requests for us to jump to. :S
Don't criticise the moderators!

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Apologies if replies don't always come as quickly as you'd like, but please bear with me and the forum's wonderful moderators who do an awful lot of work out of the kindness of their hearts, to make your online experience the best it can be. We will always do our best to get back to you as soon as we can.

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Rooster. I have never thought to create a web short cut on my desk top. I just go onto my search engine and go into bookmarks. It would seem you can only create the short cuts in IE not Google Chrome or Firefox but when created it will open in your chosen search engine.
All I have to do now is to clear some of the 50+ short cuts already on my desk top to make some space and on my 10" Samsung note book, space is at a premium. :(

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi guys,
glad it helped, I have used Firefox since all the trouble on the old forum with IE seems to be the answer.
what I like about firefox is you can change the user settings and use add ons to make it do what you want. I find book marking pages works well for most used sites as it opens the home page and then one can enter the site using a password rather than a direct link, handy for sites like Ebay paypal photobucket ect,, and while you may not be able to put shortcuts on the desktop. you can create a folder and put direct links into this, to show separate pages you want to save for later,
one down side (there has to be one) is that every time Firefox updates to a newer version it reverts to default settings and while add ons still work they may need adjusting.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Parksy said:
TheTravellingRooster said:

Apologies, we really must learn to forget our domestic arrangements and to sit at computer desks 24/7 just in case you have any other requests for us to jump to. :S
Don't criticise the moderators!

Hi to Parksy & Lizzie. Just to put my comment into a more accurate perspective - I was not criticising any of the moderators singularly or collectively. I was simply stating a fact. My understanding of a criticism is that it is just a really bad way of making a request...so just make the request. I made the request but did not receive the appropriate response or see an appropriate action in return to that request.
Indeed - I cannot recall which post the I had responded to that actually ended up in totally the wrong section.
I am more than well aware that moderators put a great deal of time & effort into the work on the forums and that includes others that I dip in and out of.

Lizzie - there is little or no need to apologies to anyone for anything - that said my request was not acted upon and to the best of my knowledge the post has still not been relocated.

The personal time and life of moderators must and should come way way ahead of any work that is carried out as a moderator on this or indeed any forum to which the offer,pledge or dedicate their time to.
In my own personal experience of moderators on all forums from caravanning through cycle forums and across many many others - most do an excellent and totally unbiased/without ulterior motive job but there are always exceptions to that position.
Moderators are not a great deal different to the police and are akin to doctors and any other individual that has an opinion about a subject/content - it is always open to a second or subsequent opinions unless there are clearly laid down rules and conditions that have clearly been contravened.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
foggydave said:
Thank you Rooster. I have never thought to create a web short cut on my desk top. I just go onto my search engine and go into bookmarks. It would seem you can only create the short cuts in IE not Google Chrome or Firefox but when created it will open in your chosen search engine.
All I have to do now is to clear some of the 50+ short cuts already on my desk top to make some space and on my 10" Samsung note book, space is at a premium. :(

Hi foggydave. The one clear advantage of a Desktop Short-cut is that it is a one click action and straight into your chosen saved site.
The other is that buy using 'Screen Shot' periodically there is an image record of all of your short-cuts.
Bookmarks cannot be Right Clicked and converted and then placed onto the Desktop.
I personally have also created a Desktop Short-cut (from any site) and then 'Renamed' it as Desktop Short-cut Cupboard,this is where my lesser used ones are stored so as not to have my Desktop Screen looking like it has an IT Rash. I currently have some 86 short-cuts around the edge and are two deep but they are on a 19" monitor and are smaller than a First Class stamp.
I also have both IE & FireFox as Desktop Short-cuts for easy access,FireFox as my Default Browser goes straight into Google as my default Search Engine.

TRENDING THREADS