Paint crazing on front panel Sterling Elite

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Buckman.

As I point out in my signature lines, its up to the reader to verify any advice found in forums (or even on the internet) before acting. In such matters it is best to use professional legal advice from a fully qualified legal expert.

The CRA is a one of the most powerful pieces of consumer law almost anywhere in the world. It is absolutely right that consumers should have clear cut rights and use them to remedy unfair or dishonest retail practices. It has been the case that too many unscrupulous retailers have played on the public's general lack of knowledge about their rights to avoid their legal liabilities. Despite its teeth, the CRA is not there to give an unfair advantage to either party, it's there to level the playing field. Historical judgements have shown incredible fairness, and over exaggerated claims have been reigned in or even totally rejected.

However given the context of this case, and in particular the age of the caravan, I expressed my reasons and opinion about the likelihood of a failure of a CRA claim in the absence of any corroborative evidence that directly points to a manufacturing fault. The time line of the failure is very different to most of the successful claims, and that casts significant doubt on the cause of the cracking being the failure mode you refer to.

Without a professional engineering report on this installation that categorically identifies it as a manufacturing fault, the history of faults in similar models is merely hear say and not evidence of a fault in this case.

I also expressed my opinion the cost of obtaining such a report and the effort to pursue it is likely to be more than any remedy, and more likely to due to the particular circumstances to end in failure which might incur the other parties legal costs. It is my opinion the chance of success is less than 33% and with those odds I would not chance using the CRA. Ultimately the choice is the OP's

Of course this might all be academic if the dealer accepts liability, but I seriously doubt they will.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Isn't "Which Legal" a Which member's subscription service, with £29 joining fee and £9/month, rather than a service that "costs nothing"?

Or are we being told of some other "Which Legal Services", not the trademark "Which"?
No one said it was totally free, but your first contact is free so cost nothing and you can then decide whether to join or not. It cost us £90 for the first year for as much legal advice that we needed and it was £90 well spent as we were able to get a full refund on a 11 month old caravan plus compensation. BTW you also get the monthly magazine. At the end of the year it is your choice whether to renew the legal advice or just the magazine subscription ot leave altogether.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
nd
Hello Buckman.

As I point out in my signature lines, its up to the reader to verify any advice found in forums (or even on the internet) before acting. In such matters it is best to use professional legal advice from a fully qualified legal expert.

The CRA is a one of the most powerful pieces of consumer law almost anywhere in the world. It is absolutely right that consumers should have clear cut rights and use them to remedy unfair or dishonest retail practices. It has been the case that too many unscrupulous retailers have played on the public's general lack of knowledge about their rights to avoid their legal liabilities. Despite its teeth, the CRA is not there to give an unfair advantage to either party, it's there to level the playing field. Historical judgements have shown incredible fairness, and over exaggerated claims have been reigned in or even totally rejected.

However given the context of this case, and in particular the age of the caravan, I expressed my reasons and opinion about the likelihood of a failure of a CRA claim in the absence of any corroborative evidence that directly points to a manufacturing fault. The time line of the failure is very different to most of the successful claims, and that casts significant doubt on the cause of the cracking being the failure mode you refer to.

Without a professional engineering report on this installation that categorically identifies it as a manufacturing fault, the history of faults in similar models is merely hear say and not evidence of a fault in this case.

I also expressed my opinion the cost of obtaining such a report and the effort to pursue it is likely to be more than any remedy, and more likely to due to the particular circumstances to end in failure which might incur the other parties legal costs. It is my opinion the chance of success is less than 33% and with those odds I would not chance using the CRA. Ultimately the choice is the OP's

Of course this might all be academic if the dealer accepts liability, but I seriously doubt they will.
Quite correct however a report from an independent qualified technician will only cost about £50 and they may pick up other issues. The OP can then decide which way forward.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I accept that for members the Which legal service costs nothing. The point here is that unless the OP can get expert evidence to support the claim it is almost certainly doomed. The Legal Service advice has to be that expert evidence is needed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Having checked through the posts, the OP has not confirmed whether they bought the caravan in 2016 or at a later date. Hopefully they will give us feedback on their conversation with the dealer that they had today.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If you get no joy with the caravan dealer depending where you are based is there no caravan services that can give you priced (Show the photo"s )

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Buckman for looking at the age issue again. I have just reread the thread and I don't I don't know why but I had picked up on one of the answers and it read as though the caravan was second hand. I might have been wrong on that point. However the age of the van is at least 3 years coming up 4 and the surface damage has only just been detected. Unlike your own experience this issue has occurred is very much later which as I have pointed out tends to discount the same fault issue you had.

Of course I would want the owner to be able to get this done as a warranty repair if possible. It will depend on the T&C's of the manufacturers warranty supplied with the caravan. I can be certain that if the manufacturers warranty has time expired there will be no chance. If the manufacturers warranty has not time expired, but some of the specified service intervals have been missed or late, again it almost certain the warranty will be declined.

If the owner wishes to pursue the seller through the CRA I still believe my previous replies (with the exception of the secondhand elements) are still the most likely outcome.

Reactions: JTQ and Beachball
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just had another look through this and yes there is no confirmation that this was bought either new or second hand. I had taken it from the wording that it was form new as it was only four years old but it does not say so.
The warranty on the panel would only be one year and the full warranty three so there would be no chance of claiming there whatever. If bought second hand the dealer may have given or bought an additional warranty but that is not suggested.
If bought second hand then there is a chance of a claim against the dealer, but I am still very doubtful in this case for the reasons given.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just had another look through this and yes there is no confirmation that this was bought either new or second hand. I had taken it from the wording that it was form new as it was only four years old but it does not say so.
The warranty on the panel would only be one year and the full warranty three so there would be no chance of claiming there whatever. If bought second hand the dealer may have given or bought an additional warranty but that is not suggested.
If bought second hand then there is a chance of a claim against the dealer, but I am still very doubtful in this case for the reasons given.
When I bought the current van it was still under warranty and Swift replaced the rear panel due to some small cracks appearing at the top off side corner. However the dealers “gold” 12 month insurance backed warranty did cover equipment, chassis and damp ingress. But it did not cover defects or faults arising in plastic body panels. That was a company who are widely used in the aftermarket vehicle warranty services. Like all insurance it’s essential to read the small print T&C.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts