Painting an interior wall at home?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A paint roller pole might be a good addition to your list Buckman, especially if you're going to paint more than one room.
The extension pole either slots or screws into the roller frame.
The pole is ideal for painting ceilings and the top part of walls, it could save you having to go up and down step ladders for much of the time.
They are sold at various prices, a mid range pole with a good locking mechanism should do the job.
Cutting in, as described earlier is the art of painting a surface edge such as where a wall meets a ceiling without allowing paint to stray onto the adjoining surface.
Cutting in brushes can be useful, and the trick is to load enough paint onto your brush to create a defined edge, press your brush onto the surface so that the trailing bristles drag and draw your brush along to create your line.
If you've never done it, practice the technique away from the edge that you want to cut in first.
Absolutely spot on, providing your right arm doesn’t suffer from ‘Essential tremor’. Who named it that heaven knows. 😂

Reactions: Parksy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Strange as I’m a regular at Screwfix and never had a problem with the website. Most things that are in stock I order and then walk up to the store and collect.
Same here as have account with them and have never had this issue previously. Will try again tomorrow. In the meantime maybe some more tips will come in. 👍

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A paint roller pole might be a good addition to your list Buckman, especially if you're going to paint more than one room.
The extension pole either slots or screws into the roller frame.
The pole is ideal for painting ceilings and the top part of walls, it could save you having to go up and down step ladders for much of the time.
They are sold at various prices, a mid range pole with a good locking mechanism should do the job.
Cutting in, as described earlier is the art of painting a surface edge such as where a wall meets a ceiling without allowing paint to stray onto the adjoining surface.
Cutting in brushes can be useful, and the trick is to load enough paint onto your brush to create a defined edge, press your brush onto the surface so that the trailing bristles drag and draw your brush along to create your line.
If you've never done it, practice the technique away from the edge that you want to cut in first.

I can only help OH to shoulder height so the roller pole is a great idea. Thanks for the tips. As said we are going to try one small room first to see how we get on. Hardest part is moving all the rubbish store there. LOL!
The walls are not dirty or even grubby it si just that OH wants a change from the magnolia colour to something lighter and brighter and at the moment OH cannot decide on a colour, but does not want bright white. Rooms are nto that big so need a colour that will make them look bigger. I may get a short reprieve while she decides.
However OH wants the home done before family arrive from South Africa and one small room will probably take us a week or 2 months for the whole home. LOL!

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Any one mention a "Roller Bucket"?
Had a Google screwfix call them "Scuttles".
A game changer for me. Painting and decorating is one of my favourite things, I know others hate it, but left at my own pace I can spend many happy hours hanging lining paper, filling and sanding it, caulking in the edges, then once totally happy, apply paint or paper.
Prefer painted walls nowadays, which seems to be the trend with matt paints too.
I did have a love affair with Valspar paints using these exclusively at our last house inside and out, the top end stuff, apart from wood paint White, I did it was around 14 interior doors in our home, like water it was so transparent.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i use Screwfix myself there the other day got what we wanted because at present when the kitchen gets sorted we will need some Dulux once coat paint. i am trying out this it called a Paint Runner Pro from Amazon i will have to let you know how we get on .

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m using a Zinsser white sheen today on some new French interior doors. If Darren fancies a trip to Wiltshire to do the glass edges he’s more than welcome. I discovered Zinsser paints at Screwfix from our kitchen fitters. The B.I.N sealant primer is ace but needs meths to clean the brushes. All at Screwfix.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
I’m using a Zinsser white sheen today on some new French interior doors. If Darren fancies a trip to Wiltshire to do the glass edges he’s more than welcome. I discovered Zinsser paints at Screwfix from our kitchen fitters. The B.I.N sealant primer is ace but needs meths to clean the brushes. All at Screwfix.
Masking tape! (Frog tape)
For glass the green one.

Or

if its flat glass what i do is paint onto it, leave to dry, cut round the edges then scrape it off with a Stanley Window Scraper
You get odd looks but a perfect finish.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Masking tape! (Frog tape)
For glass the green one.

Or

if its flat glass what i do is paint onto it, leave to dry, cut round the edges then scrape it off with a Stanley Window Scraper
You get odd looks but a perfect finish.
Thanks, that’s what I do but it certainly doesn’t give me much satisfaction, insee it more of a drudge. But one of those things that periodically has to be done. Now gardening I do enjoy.

PS yes these are flat glass. Our last house had four doors with 15 panes each of textured glass. Sheer hell 😂

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts