Paintseal and Scotchguard

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
As we probably will never be in a position to buy another new caravan, this one has to last us and we are thinking about having our caravan done with Paintseal and the fabric and carpets treated with Scotchguard. Our last Lunar 640 caravan was treated with Scotchguard and after 5 years the upholstery and carpets look as good as new.
The Paintseal alone will set us back £500 but will make it a lot easier to clean the caravan and prevent stubborn black streaks. Also it will help the caravan maintain an as new look, but the cost just seems a bit high. Unfortunately I am not in a position to polish the caravan myself and it is a bit unfair to expect the wife to do it.
Has any one used anything similar to Paintseal and is it worth it? Otherwise we will just pay a local to apply Mers once a year and polish it. Maybe cheaper in the long run.

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
We are on our second van that has been Paintsealed, we were delighted with the first one but we tend to get a few black streaks on the rear of this van which we have to use a paintseal solution to get them off. You will always get the black streaks on your van the paintseal should make it easier to get them off with just water. The first van we had treated was fine, the streaks just washed off I dont know if the paintseal as been altered but this van we do have to use the solution as mentioned to remove them. Van always has a high shine we never polish it. We paid £500 but that included treating the upholstery as well, hope this helps you decide.
smiley-wink.gif

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Surfer, I have it on my van and after today I'm in two minds
smiley-undecided.gif

Bought the van this time last year with it on and a transferable 5 year gaurantee the van is 2008 so has now been on for four years, last year just washed the van and it kept it's shine so no polishing.
Anyway washed the van last weekend and the dreaded black streaks would not budge, so during the week off to the local dealer to get the well known black streak remover, he advised me not to use it (they wont stock it anyway). He advised me to ring the Paintseal dealer and explain the problem and he advised me to tell the dealer that I only used Auto Glym products which in fact is what I use anyway so no problem, sorry if this is long winded but to prove his point the Paintseal mans first question was what cleaning products I used. He is sending me a bottle of his "special cleaner" to remove the black streaks but as I am away on Thursday I got a bottle of Cara Cleaner from the dealer and did it today as I work all week and I cant leave home with a dirty van
smiley-smile.gif
but the elbow grease I used up today was making my arms ache!!
Now just one more thought, my last van was a 95 model and I use to wash, wax and polish, and the black streaks came off with Mr Sheen.
Also I heard some where that the gaurantee on a new van was 5 years but Only 3 years on any older/second hand vans.
Hope this helps and as always one has to make ones own mind up, good luck on what you decide.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
It's a tough one! Luckily I'm in the position to be able to clean and polish with gay abandon but I've always said if and when the time comes that I can't manage all the jobs entailed in caravanning myself it will be the day we say goodbye to it. Old fashioned may be but I won't even let swimbo clean her own car!! Though I do let her empty the toilet as she enjoys it so!
smiley-wink.gif
. With this in mind I think if I couldn't do the polishing myself I would consider a treatment even at £500.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I also posted the question on another forum and with the exception of one maybe, many people endorsed it so it does seem a worthwhile excercise. Hopefully as our caravan is less then 6 months old, we will be able to get the 5 year warranty. I do like itt when the black streaks can be removed easily!
smiley-laughing.gif

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
They make a killing on these kits as to the trade they are only arround £50 to buy,the supaguard for cars you can get for £28 plus vat.
If you know a friend in the trade he can get you one and you can do yourself, its hard work but is it worth paying someone £450 to do it for you.
Good quality polish once a year is good

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts