Parking overnight Whistable, Kent?

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I know that Colin Perris, tha parking manager at Canterbury City Council, is exploring building on the success of the New Dover Road scheme to introduce facilities for motorhomes in Whitstable & Herne Bay but don't know exactly what the situation is because it was dependent on various building works.

It would be worth getting in touch with the parking team for advice. Contact details can be found via This Page.

Graham

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Good morning Mr Harman and thank you for your enquiry.

Swalecliffe Avenue car park in Herne Bay has motorhome bays.
It’s due for development in the Winter so it could be more MH friendly but at the moment it’s free to use.

Tankerton Road in Whitstable has Coach bays which are free after 8:30pm until 8am the next morning.

I hope that helps
Kind regards

Colin Perris
Parking Facilities and Control Room Manager
Canterbury City Council
Tel:01227 862430

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Graham,

We did drive into the car park in Swalecliffe Avenue. Height barriers have been removed, but the turn into said car park might be a bit tight on vehs over 8m.

My partner wanted to try Hampton Bay camp site just before Swalecliffe Avenue. As it turned out, they had one pitch left with hook up - so we stayed there in the end.

Kind Regards

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Jon.

Interesting about the turn in. People often don't believe it when told some car parks simply aren't physically suitable for use by motorhomes :)

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I've emailed Colin to thank him for his understanding of the need for us Motorhomers to have somewhere to park, so we can spend money locally. Seems the man is in a club of 1 across councils.

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
BobHart said:
I've emailed Colin to thank him for his understanding of the need for us Motorhomers to have somewhere to park, so we can spend money locally. Seems the man is in a club of 1 across councils.
He's not quite alone but works for one of the few councils which have evidence that our spending of money is sufficient benefit to set against the costs of enabling overnight camping in their car parks.
I asked on another forum a couple of years ago how much people really spent on their trips and whether the average amount we spend overall is sufficient to provide a valid argument of economic benefits (as often quoted in support of calls for aires). The answers varied widely, many people spending virtually nothing on a short trip as they stock up their vans with food and drink before setting off.
If we are to convince councils of the economic benefit we need to be able to show evidence of likely spend rather than just a vague assumption.
Graham

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts