Passat 2L TDI and Eldis Odessy

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I just put a deposit on a Eldis Odessy 432 (1275 MTPLM) and am planning to tow it with my 2004 VW Passat saloon 75KW (100ps) diesel car. Has anyone towed this size/weight caravan with a Passat? Is it OK? Im a bit worried as I checked some on-line calaulator and it say I will only be able to do 55mph on the motorway, I was hoping to be able to cruise at 60mph. I should say this is my first ever caravan so Im a bit scared!

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Alan,

My information suggests that the Passat has a Kerb weight of 1625Kg so the caravan you are suggesting would give a towing ratio of about 79% That bodes well. However good towing is not just down to weight ratios, its down to good loading and careful driving.

There has long been a suggestion that you need about 40Hp per tonne, but that information was derived when most cars were petrol. you have diesel, and whilst the maximum power may give you less than the idealised figure I think you will find you have enough power tow adequately. Of course you wont get sports car performance, but hey your going on holiday, and as long as you can keep up with traffic, then who needs sub 10 seconds 0 to 60mph times with a caravan in tow.?

Have fun

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I will need to modify my driving style, but I like to be able to keep to 60mph so all the lorries are not over taking me.

With regard to loading I guess its best to put as much as possible in the boot of the car rather than pile it all in the van? There only two of us (plus dog) so we dont need too much stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts