Password Manager Apps

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Currently using LastPass free version, it works very well but the free version does have limitations, upgrading to 'Premium' is not cheap.

I have looked at reviews on a few other options and am thinking of purchasing 'BitWarden' premium, it is quite inexpesive and appears to have adequate attributes for non-business use.

Does anyone use BitWarden and have any comments to share?

I would also be happy to hear of alternative suggestions to BitWarden.

BitWarden

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I've been using Roboform for a few years on my PC. Not the paid for version so no syncing across devices - which I can do manually anyway. It integrates well with various browsers. Maybe not the prettiest user interface but it works very well.

I did try Bitwarden on my tablet but for some reason I can't remember I didn't keep it. To be honest I have little need for a password manager other than on the PC. My android phone and tablet both have the Microsoft Authenticator app on them and it will also store some passwords for web sites and apps. I just use it to log into forums like this.

Reactions: Anseo
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I'm a LastPass Premium user... The premium price IMHO is worth it, as it works across platforms (in my case PC, laptop, Android phone and Fire Tablet). The generation of properly complex and seamless integration across the devices is well worth the £30 a year...

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What does Lastpass do as I have ignored it to date as decide it was a PITA and not worth the effort. Don't like my passwords being held by and third party entity.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
What does Lastpass do as I have ignored it to date as decide it was a PITA and not worth the effort. Don't like my passwords being held by and third party entity.

Password managers help you generate complex passwords and store them securely so that you can log onto various services without having to remember user names and password. There is more such as providing reminders to change old passwords. Some of this you can do with browsers like Firefox or Chrome but I went down the Roboform root before the browsers had this capability.

I don't sync my settings across devices using online services. I prefer to have all my details stored locally. Lastpass got hacked a few years back but encrypted details were supposedly safe.

If you want to see how good your passwords are you can check how long it will take to crack them here...

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the update but don't think I will bother with Lastpass. With banking I have to input a code from a keypad. Rest is social media sites including forums so not overly concerned.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As an alternative, and I am not rating it one way or another, as I don’t have information to do a comparison. I use F-secure. It is expensive, but Virgin customers get massive discounts. The password manager has just changed name from ‘key’ to ‘ID protection’. As it now tracks your email addresses as well. The basic package allows for syncing over 5 devises.
I have mine as part of a package, including virus checker, bank protection and VPN.

I you use Virgin, then worth checking out. Otherwise very expensive.

This is an example of how it reports on your email usage and security. (This one has been updated since)

25271193-9CFD-426A-AF4B-5749E422D23C.jpeg

It finds some issues you may not expect.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the update but don't think I will bother with Lastpass. With banking I have to input a code from a keypad. Rest is social media sites including forums so not overly concerned.

The password manager I mentioned above, like others, is not great with more complex security that banks use. What I do, is add the procedures, memorable words, pins etc. Into the notes on the banks page. That way it is encrypted and held securely, It also syncs. Works for me.

For standard username and password stuff, like forums, The manager fills the boxes automatically. But protected be a finger print or face recognition.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Currently using LastPass free version, it works very well but the free version does have limitations, upgrading to 'Premium' is not cheap.

I have looked at reviews on a few other options and am thinking of purchasing 'BitWarden' premium, it is quite inexpesive and appears to have adequate attributes for non-business use.

Does anyone use BitWarden and have any comments to share?

I would also be happy to hear of alternative suggestions to BitWarden.

BitWarden
I am on the free version of last past with my memory not good i put in all the passwords on sites i am using i find it suits my purpose but the BitWarden looks interesting i cannot comment so i hope someone on here helps you out (y)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Password managers help you generate complex passwords and store them securely so that you can log onto various services without having to remember user names and password. There is more such as providing reminders to change old passwords. Some of this you can do with browsers like Firefox or Chrome but I went down the Roboform root before the browsers had this capability.

I don't sync my settings across devices using online services. I prefer to have all my details stored locally. Lastpass got hacked a few years back but encrypted details were supposedly safe.

If you want to see how good your passwords are you can check how long it will take to crack them here...

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

Interesting link. Out of curiosity I tried a password generated from my manager, but only about half the Length possible. The results are:

A3968269-94F5-43E8-8566-F05161882CC6.png
I can wait that long. The problem though, with all managers is the master password. Mine needs updating for sure.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
This one will show if your email account has been compromised.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Yes, I have used similar when I had one compromised. I don’t know if the F-secure ID protection will do that. I think it might just warn of the sites which could be a potential risk. I will need to ask that question.

It’s easy to think with F-secure that it is doing nothing, as it works fuss free in the background.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I use Apple Keychain across three devices and use Norton lifelock to provide another areas of protection such as dark web mining, identity theft. Passwords are in the main Apple generated apart from those I keep in my head

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I use Apple Keychain across three devices and use Norton lifelock to provide another areas of protection such as dark web mining, identity theft. Passwords are in the main Apple generated apart from those I keep in my head

A limitation with Apple might be if you want to use it cross platforms. Apart from that, just as a password manager it looks good. Google’s is similar, will work cross platform, and is free. I don’t have much experience of it though to recommend or not.

John

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm a LastPass Premium user... The premium price IMHO is worth it, as it works across platforms (in my case PC, laptop, Android phone and Fire Tablet). The generation of properly complex and seamless integration across the devices is well worth the £30 a year...

With LastPass $ to £ conversion rate + VAT it is closer to £40.00 per year now Larry, I agree that syncing across platforms is important.
BitWarden appears to cover my devices, IOS, Android and Win10, at around a quarter of the price of LastPass I am interested, but I do read that it is not as elegant as LastPass.

Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS