Paul Merton's Adventures - Caravan is on C5 tonight...

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
If anyone is at a loose end this evening.../sites/practicalcaravan.com/files/images/DSC_0728.jpg
*Pasted from news story on home page*

Caravanning makes a mainstream TV appearance this evening, as funny man Paul Merton explores touring in his travel show on Channel 5.

Merton, best known for his appearances on long-running BBC quiz show, Have I Got News For You, is exploring different types of holiday through the six episodes of the show. So far, he has enjoyed trips to Florida, Ibiza and been on a cruise ship, but in the episode being aired on 9 November 2011, he gets to live the dream of caravanning.

As well as trying out the (now famous) mobility scooter tourer, Paul gets to see how modern caravans are a far cry from the draughty, gas-lit trundlers of old when he gets behind the wheel of a Land Rover Discovery 4 towing a 2012 Swift Challenger Sport. Not a bad outfit, for a beginner.

Paul Merton's Adventures is on Channel 5 at 10pm on 9 November and repeated on sister station 5* at 9pm on 10 November.

If you miss it, it will be shown on C5's catch up service, Demand 5 in the next couple of days. Get to Demand 5 by clicking here!

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Nigel
Thanks for the heads up saw if advertised the other day so set it to record just in case I missed it. Be interesting to see what Paul makes of caravaning
Di

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
will be watching that
smiley-smile.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It would be nice if the tv producers avoided the usual hatchet job that the media all too often does on caravans and those of us who use them. I shall watch with interest.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Odd show really. He walked around the Swift factory, did a bit of comedy reversing but not a lot else. I thought it would be more mickey-takey to be honest. As it was, it was just a bit boring...

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Not the worst programme that featured caravans but tv producers still can't quite bring themselves to acknowledge that caravanning is accessible to all, not as difficult as Paul Merson was trying to make out and is family friendly. The bit about egg throwing was a waste of time and the programme seemed to consist of a few disconnected snapshots of English eccentricity with a Swift promo thrown in.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Nigel Donnelly said:
Parksy said:
the programme seemed to consist of a few disconnected snapshots of English eccentricity with a Swift promo thrown in.
Pretty much sums it up!
Have to agree. Gave up watching once he got to the egg throwing bit as it was more exciting watching paint dry. Why is that we have all these programs were food is wasted like egg throwing or cheese rolling down a hill?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
To be fair to Paul Merton he mentioned that the eggs were past their sell by date.
smiley-innocent.gif

What gets me is that no matter what programme features caravans it would seem that the producers can never just tell it like it is.

There's either a comedic angle as with the bungled reversing on last nights programme, the derogatory angle such as with Clarksons Top Gear programme that was funny in it's way but a grossly inaccurate hatchet job on caravanners all the same, or local news programmes where the most expensive / tiniest / most outlandish / most unsuitable models are portrayed if they're not statics which somehow get lumped in with tourers to 'prove' that caravans hold up traffic.

The only tv presenter that I've ever seen who tried to give an honest appraisal of tourers was Paul O'Grady when Doug King and his lady wife briefly appeared on the show.
I understand that Paul O'Grady owns a bow top gypsy caravan so perhaps we should make him an honorary forum member?

We all know that touring touring caravans provide a viable alternative to guest houses or hotels, they're reasonably affordable in one form or another, caravanning is environmentally friendly with a relatively low carbon footprint, families with children, people with disabilities and a good mixture of old and young people use them and for dog owners touring is ideal so why do snooty media types feel the need to knock caravans or at best misrepresent them at every opportunity?
smiley-yell.gif

The only good thing about the negative and stereotypical portrayal of caravanners who use tourers is that it helps to ensure pitch availability for us if programme makers manage to put people off.
smiley-wink.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I thought the main theme of the program was about "Paul remains in Blighty, revisiting some holiday destinations of his youth and other quirky spots" and not really about caravanning.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Well we were bored silly, had to wake swimbo up twice. I've not watched channel 5 before and don't think I will again! A bit more of Cornwall would of been nice and perhaps a bit of serious caravanning. Did it ever get unhooked??? Yes noticed no towing mirrors as well!!! The last time I saw a mikey take of reversing that bad was James May on top gear!! The visits to everywhere were so brief it told us nothing! What a shame when we were getting a little excited as 10 o'clock loomed!! well okay mildly interested! Paul has done much better programmes on his travels for other channels!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Well we were bored silly, had to wake swimbo up twice. I've not watched channel 5 before and don't think I will again! A bit more of Cornwall would of been nice and perhaps a bit of serious caravanning. Did it ever get unhooked??? Yes noticed no towing mirrors as well!!! The last time I saw a mikey take of reversing that bad was James May on top gear!! The visits to everywhere were so brief it told us nothing! What a shame when we were getting a little excited as 10 o'clock loomed!! well okay mildly interested! Paul has done much better programmes on his travels for other channels!

The show was supposed to be about his youth "Paul remains in Blighty, revisiting some holiday destinations of his youth and other quirky spots as he joins one of the largest clubs of people in the country – caravanners." not so much about caravans.
Any one been to Croft Park where the first shots were done when he tried to reverse onto a pitch and get "Bob" to help him set up?

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Just watched it via Virginmedia "on demand". Wizzed past the boring bits and only watched the caravan related parts of the show.
Pleased that it was not a Top Gear type urine take and that Mr Merton refrained from a hatchet job.
Editing left a lot to be desired, for example, when Paul was being briefed by the Swift man about hitching up, it sounded that it is the breakaway cable that assists during side winds and passing HGVs etc.

Brum

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
we liked it, especially the clown at the circus with his pet iron, do you think that you have to pay extra on site & do you need some sort of vaccination to take him to france i'm going to call mine plug....hasbo...p.s its a light hearted entertainment programme

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts