Paying for electricity hook ups

May 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

I'll start off on an honest foot and say the reason for my post, I'm doing some market research on the best way to pay for electricity hook ups at caravan sites.

With increased prices over the last year, alot of owners have had to increase the cost of a pitch fee to cover the rise, this however impacts on both those who use a lot, and a little, of leccy. There are various ways to charge for electricity, ie inlcude everything in a pitch fee, prepayment coin/card meters and the new smart meters and display devices.

I invite you all to submit your comments on how you would prefer to pay for your hook up and any other comments / experiences you have.

Thanks in advance

joe

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I believe that they cannot resell electricity on or they can but at the same price they purchase it for.Easier to do it in 1 all in fee

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
New regulations set by the Office of Gas and Electricity Markets (Ofgem) prevent organisations selling-on electricity at higher prices than they paid for it.

Ofgem says the rises are necessary because of changes brought about by the Utilities Act 2000. Now, power can only be resold at the same price it was bought for - whatever that may be, as rates vary between suppliers - otherwise known as MRP (maximum resale price).

Ofgem says the new rules are needed due to the switch from regional electricity boards to a competitive market. And although MRP is aimed mainly at preventing landlords from profiteering at the expense of their tenants, it applies equally to site owners offering hook-ups.

Electricity charges must now be included in the pitch fee. This has caused a furore among part of the touring fraternity, as some do not use electricity on site, and yet now have to pay for it.

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
This is one to raise heated debate - I have no real preference as I always look for a hook up and am prepared to pay for what I use.

One point to consider is that including in the site fee does mean that people will look at as "I've paid for it I am using it" certainly I am as guilty as the next man - I would always use the electric heating rather than my own gas.

Surely it is only perception of cost? The site fee may look high, but if it was lower, and you paid for the electricity it would still cost as much - how about simply advertising and charging a)A site fee without electic and b)A site fee with hook up - that should satisfy both camps?

Jon

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
To have a 2 price tier you are effectively advertising the cost of the electricity,in theory this should flutuate with the price at the present time.

Gas prices have increased so felt it was cheaper for me to use EH sites.

The usage of on site electricity is like an all you can eat buffet!some take lots some dont same price for everyone though.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
If we feel that they are charging too much for the pitch we find another cheaper friendlier site.

To install metering costs a small fortune and as they have to be read to determine usage for when you are on the pitch, are you going to hunt around for the farmer or owner in the pouring rain when you want to leave?

Prepayment meters are another issue. What if you have to top up a few hours before leaving and when you depart you have to leave

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Joe

We have not found this a problem we charge for the use of the hookup and supply the eclectic free. anyone not wanting a hook up pays only for the pitch which in summer is

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Joe

My preference is to pay for what I use.

I don't want to subsidise people who put a heater in an awning or somehow manage to use excessively.

I don't want to subsidise people to use the van in the winter and use up loads of the stuff on heating.

If I use a lot I'm prepared to pay for the leccy as long as it is charged at a sensible rate.

Interstingly at home in a reasonbly large house with 5 adults, washing machine every day, countless TV's, Computers, hair dryers, showers, lights, cooker, fridge, freezer, dishwasher, Microwave, vacuum cleaner, lawn mower etc etc, even in the winter we have never gone over

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Some certified sites that I've stayed on charge a pound extra for ehu from the end of October until the beginning of March so that winter users are not being subsidised by those who use less power in the summer season.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Agree Parksey as every one uses more in winter. However as the cost of electric is coming down will this be passed onto the consumer at a site? Somehow I doubt it.

We avoid sites that have metering installed and the max we would pay on a CL is

G

Just an aside thought.

Has anyone done the costings of using CL/CS sites with no electric but taking into account the residual gas usage and therefore cost, compared with taking the whole package? Buying bottled gas is not cheap either.

I have used the C&CC sites mostly this year so far and they offer discounts to us oldies. I averaged

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
Just an aside thought.

Has anyone done the costings of using CL/CS sites with no electric but taking into account the residual gas usage and therefore cost, compared with taking the whole package? Buying bottled gas is not cheap either.

I have used the C&CC sites mostly this year so far and they offer discounts to us oldies. I averaged

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts