payload increase

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
On Swift Talk there is a thread about automatic levelling systems and Swift have confirmed that they have had a demonstration at there factory by ,I believe the same company that fit the system to Buccaneers.
The interesting point is that Swift say they are looking at increased payloads because of the extras being added. I assume they are thinking of movers and the like.
An increase in payload would be welcomed by me as I have to fight each trip to pursuade the family to leave behind their "toys",

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
A friend of mine paid Swift £50-00 for a new plate showing and giving an increase in the MPTLM on their van. When they plate them in the factory they show a lower weight so that does not mean you require a larger vehicle to tow them, at the extra cost that would bring. I believe they added 50kg to that shown on the original plate.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
In my opinion any UK maker doing so, with something more than a trivial amount as at present, will have played a good card. Maybe not to the buying novice, but definitely to the better informed returning buyer or anybody who has ever checked their weights.
The payloads offered at present are dreadfully low and taking hearsay evidence there are many on the road who are overloading.
Some continentals allow you to order with different ratings.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
We had our Lunar re-plated from 1210 kg to 1295 kg after I asked them about movers, etc. The new plate shows MTPLM 1295 kg and Max axle load 1300 kg, so they upped it to nearly the axle maximum.

Edit - as our van is a dealer-special some of the payload was eaten into by the 'extras' over and above that of the basic Quasar. Amongst other things it has heavy duty stabilisers (not sure why on a fairly light van), thicker sprung mattresses, extra lighting, etc. making it halfway between the Quasar and the Clubman.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I bought my Elddis two and a half years ago there was a payload update available at buildtime. It turned out to be just a different plate with no upgrade of tyres or suspension.
The reason given for making the lower weight 'standard' was to increase the variety of towcars which would 'match! The van. The option was no cost if specified at time of order for new build.
My Previous Burstner showed only one weight figure in either book or plate, so must assume the Continental rules at the time were much less precise.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Its important to understand that not all caravans can have their MTPLM increased.

I did ask about upgrading when we bought our Quasar as the car had the capacity to tow more but was advised that it was at the chassis limit and it was not possible. You can only ask and and some will be lucky.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts