PDI check list

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I am about to collect my new caravan from the dealership and would appreciate a PDI check off list to assist me with acceptance handover. My purchase was made at the Birmingham NEC 2015, the agreed price was very competitive but the dealership is unfortunately a long way from home. The check list will give me confidence during the handover and hopefully reduce any potential issues. Thank you for any help. The caravan is a Swift Elegance 565.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Trinidad, I see that you did not get the reply you wanted from Swift Talk but you got the response from the premier form, that is The Practical Caravan Forum.
You will get more response from the PCF than Swift Talk

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Trinidad,
We are on our second van and learnt a real lesson from our first experience. My advice is do not be rushed, take your time and actually do all the things they show you yourself, and make notes as you go along. If in doubt ask and make sure you get an answer. You are already on the correct path by having a list of questions to ask.

On our first experience we were rushed as we picked up on a Friday and they were despatching a lot of vans. We struggled on our first set up, only a few hours after the pick up, but fortunately more experienced campers came to our rescue.

Good luck, hope you have a good experience.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do not say you will take the caravan or sign for it until you have had all the time YOU need to go through all the items, and get the answers that you want.

Sadly some dealers will lose interest in you as soon as its officially yours.

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the advice, I intend to stay over 2 days for the acceptance. This was the dealership's idea and they have arranged a nearby CL. Preston is a long way from Selsey on the south coast and the distance will frustrate any post issues. I will if necessary not take the caravan if there are any major problems, I know that as soon as the bill is paid my handover is finished.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you are taking an older caravan as a trade in then check it thoroughly before you go to Preston including a damp check. If the dealer is the one I am thinking of then they will I am told spend a considerable time checking it over although I believe they are genuine when looking for faults.. If any serious problems are found they will reduce the offer to take account of it. You must therefore be forarmed before setting off and have the ability to pay more if a genuine fault is found.
If you cannot agree because of a problem be prepared to walk away demanding your deposit back because of a frustrated contract.
Beware of damp in the toilet compartment. Wipe the affected surface as condensation is often the cause. Window frames can also show up condensation as damp so watch for this and check under the seal.
The PDI is done with a tick box checklist so you could ask to see this although I do not know if they will agree.
Hope all goes well.

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Thank you Raywood for your welcome advice. I will not be trading in a caravan with this purchase however your points are valid. The dealership appears okay at this stage but with help from the many responses I am in the process of compiling a personal check off list, that I will use during the acceptance. I have now identified several areas that are critical to the successful completion of the handover. Interestingly one of which is the relationship between the dealership and the supplier regarding any potential outstanding warrantee issues, taking into consideration my geographical location. I will post my composite check list when completed.

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi Damian,
Thanks for the prompt, I have contacted the manufacturer and they have confirmed that any of their registered dealerships can submit for warranty on my behalf. Providing that the servicing is maintained and the claim is in accordance with the warranty criteria. I also contacted a dealership near me and they are prepared to accept my caravan for servicing and warranty work.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Trinidad said:
Hi Damian,
Thanks for the prompt, I have contacted the manufacturer and they have confirmed that any of their registered dealerships can submit for warranty on my behalf. Providing that the servicing is maintained and the claim is in accordance with the warranty criteria. I also contacted a dealership near me and they are prepared to accept my caravan for servicing and warranty work.

Hi,
I don't think damian was referring to the manufacturers guarantee, he was referring to your statutory legal rights under the Sale of Goods Act,(SoGA) which is entirely separate to the manufacturer's guarantee and irrevocably ties your legal redress for faulty good to the seller. Hopefully you wont have any problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts