Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all, supplementry question how on earth do you all manage on the money and still get away in the van, been working mine out, strewth even with the missing one think I will have to get a paper round for some pocket money.!!

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
My paper round is in the midlands and goes through France and Into Spain.
smiley-wink.gif
I can only do it twice a year.

Les

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We kid ourselves staying away from home saves money!
No gas electricity or water usage. Our food and bar bills are similar. So apart from diesel and site fees we can stay cash neutral.we don't do designer clothes. In fact the longer you stay away the cheaper it becomes. Diesel is the highest cost imo. Make more use of Certificated sites.
Have a loft garage sale and get rid of all horded junk . Ebay?
Think how much all your PCv mags are worth.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Dustydog said:
No gas electricity or water usage. Our food and bar bills are similar. So apart from diesel and site fees we can stay cash neutral.we don't do designer clothes. In fact the longer you stay away the cheaper it becomes. Diesel is the highest cost imo. Make more use of Certificated sites.

One of the reasons why rallies on some farmer's muddy field is not for us as the rally runs for 2 days, but any rally cost saving is negated by the cost of fuel to get there.
smiley-laughing.gif

When we go away, we prefer to go for 4 - 5 days to make it worthwhile fuel wise as fuel is our most expensive commodity on a weekend away.
smiley-frown.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Surfer said:
Dustydog said:

One of the reasons why rallies on some farmer's muddy field is not for us as the rally runs for 2 days, but any rally cost saving is negated by the cost of fuel to get there.
smiley-laughing.gif

When we go away, we prefer to go for 4 - 5 days to make it worthwhile fuel wise as fuel is our most expensive commodity on a weekend away.
smiley-frown.gif
Not all rallies are on a 'farmers muddy field', the West Midlands AGM rally which opened on Wednesday and ends today is on a large certified site and rally field with ehu and is timed to coincide with half term to give parents a relatively cheap break with their children, although I have to say that we gave it a miss this year.
We tend to save little bits of money for a few weeks which soon mounts up to help with the cost of diesel fuel, the biggest expense. There are always bargain breaks, over 50s discounts and special offers advertised for sites on the internet and we also use mainly certified sites which average at £15 per night for a decent C.S. in a good location.
We don't go to the pub very often now unless we're with the boozy Woosies, although we have plenty of on board food and drink and whenever possible we use our senior citizens bus passes to get around and leave the truck parked next to the caravan as much as possible. We shop in supermarkets rather than farm shops or on site and often cook in the caravan after we come back from the days outing.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
Surfer said:
Dustydog said:

smiley-laughing.gif

smiley-frown.gif
Not all rallies are on a 'farmers muddy field', the West Midlands AGM rally which opened on Wednesday and ends today is on a large certified site and rally field with ehu and is timed to coincide with half term to give parents a relatively cheap break with their children, although I have to say that we gave it a miss this year.
We tend to save little bits of money for a few weeks which soon mounts up to help with the cost of diesel fuel, the biggest expense. There are always bargain breaks, over 50s discounts and special offers advertised for sites on the internet and we also use mainly certified sites which average at £15 per night for a decent C.S. in a good location.
We don't go to the pub very often now unless we're with the boozy Woosies, although we have plenty of on board food and drink and whenever possible we use our senior citizens bus passes to get around and leave the truck parked next to the caravan as much as possible. We shop in supermarkets rather than farm shops or on site and often cook in the caravan after we come back from the days outing.

Aha! Gotcha! Knew you would respond to the farmer's muddy field. LOL!
smiley-laughing.gif
We also look for bargain breaks or CLs which preferably average about £11 per night. For £14 you can stay at a proper site like Longacres near Evesham with EHU included. if we go tot eh pub, it is normally only for two drinks and then home. I agree that we have found most farm shops too expensive for us. Nothing like a BBQ on retutning home after a day out.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There'll probably be a hosepipe ban in the summer
smiley-laughing.gif

We rarely stay anywhere without ehu these days except for music festivals or WW2 themed events, many of the certified sites are as good as 'mainstream' sites but much less crowded.
Unless we're with friends we rarely bother with the pubs except perhaps to go for a nice meal.
There doesn't seem much point in sitting in a pub full of strangers when we can sit in comfort back in the caravan or outside with a bottle of wine in good weather

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi Colin, Since joining the ranks of the Wrinklies, leaving me on a much-reduced budget I have become quite adept at jiggling the money around to allow me some outings in the caravan.
It's actually cheaper for me sometimes to pitch on a C&CC Club Site, as there's only me to pay for, whereas commercial sites tend to charge per unit per night, then there's my oldies discount of course. However,as regards budgetting, whilst at home I've discovered the best way to not spend money is to avoid going any where near a shop! (Supermarkets an exception to this rule, of course, which I visit in the evening so I can grab some cheap end-date goodies!) I haven't bought any new clothes for over two years now, I can usually get what I need from charity shops. I use rainwater from the water butt (and numerous buckets left in the garden) to flush the loo and if it gets cold I wear an extra layer of clothing rather than spend more money on heating. I try to avoid using the car until I have several calls to pay, petrol not being the only consideration here, I'm trying to keep my mileage down so that I don't have to have my car serviced too often. (Last year it cost me £250. Ouch!)
So, retirement etc can be a bit of a culture shock in terms of the reduction in disposable income, but, Colin, if you look on scrimping as a challenge, you'll be amazed at the ways you'll find to save yourself a few quid!
No, I don't do a paper round, but I make things out of reclaimed textiles and sell them at car boot sales, for a bit of pocket money. Oh, alright then - booze money.....hic! Happy caravanning!

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Parksy said:
There doesn't seem much point in sitting in a pub full of strangers when we can sit in comfort back in the caravan or outside with a bottle of wine in good weather

Sounds good as Twinwood tickets came today
smiley-laughing.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We got our Twinwoods tickets on Saturday so a nice bottle of wine in the arena while we're listening to some great music has got to be good
smiley-cool.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Try one one of these. Good value for money.
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/special-offers/tour-for-12?utm_campaign=UKBE0314&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all, thanks for that!! more or less what I expected with some interesting insight thrown in. it the culture shock that seems the most overwhelming ( similar to leaving school all those years ago ) omg what do I do now!! . better sort it cos it's getting closer lol. to be honest I don't think the money is going to be all that different, (never had any start with!!!) probably the reason DIY as been such a big thing in the past, and being on a min wage for the last 3 years as streched us to the limit allready, the final pension statistics has arrived finally and is better than expected, the projected income is about the same as it is now, (ie just enough), btw the last bit of designer kit I got was a woosie T shirt so thats not an issue . what to do about the van though having second thoughts after reading the posts, one of our main issues was time to use it!!!, thought I would have to sell it to break even but that is not possible, I tried to sell it on a auction site but it did not meet the reserve, and the dealers are are a little too shark like for me, one even suggesed that the cost of repair (all 10 year old vans have damp issues you know!!!!) would not be worth the effort unless I virtually gave it away. I assume that would be the same then for all the 10+ year old vans he had on sale eh!!!, so that is on hold for now, I will worry about that later, never know we might even make a woosie meet sometime if we keep it. anyway thats all for now thanks again for the input theres a lot to think about in the next few weeks.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Colin.......I think of my 18 year old Swift as having no monetary value and it makes for very happy caravaning. Every thing works as it should and it has added features from DIY projects that some new vans do not have.....

Keep your van and enjoy it as and when :)

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi again Colin, some of these dealers talk a load of rubbish, don't they? I would agree with Gafferbill and say hang onto your 'van. My Elddis was 15 yers old when I sold it, and there were no 'damp issues' at all with it at its last service, and I got a good price for it selling it online (not an auction site). My Carousel is 16 years old, and that isn't damp either. I don't care that I haven't got a spanking new 'van, I consider myself lucky that I can get out in it and enjoy our beautiful British countryside now and then, and there's no bossy landlady telling me to get the dog off the settee! Whoopy doooo!

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi Colin, I agree with the other guys, if you are careful then keeping the van going can work out very inexpensive, and provide a good relaxation. My van is coming up for 18 years old ( bought it on ebay about 7 or 8 years ago) and its great, dry as a bone, everything works just as it should etc., and it is just the job as we can take our little dog in it.

When I see some of the problems that folks with a newer van "endure" then I'm grateful that my "older un" is so reliable.

Yes it is a culture shock when work stops being the centre of our lives.... but nature hates a vacuum and fills up our time pretty quickly.

From your posts its obvious you have a lifetime of experience, and looking at some of the posts from newer members of the forum. they need you and your expertise...

Perhaps you could write some articles on practical things and see if you can sell them...?

Illustrating your articles with some photos adds value.... it's surprising what folks don't know!..... you could start out with some good guidance (articles) on:

1 What to look for when considering buying a used caravan

2 How to hitch up

3 On site electrical hook ups

4 levelling a caravan and why do it?

5 How to use the onboad appliances (low wattage kettles etc)

6 The advantages of caravanning...

I'm sure you will think that all these have been done before...... and you would be right... but editors are looking for new ideas, new approaches for different times of the year, and if they think it has that magic thing called "reader appeal" they may be inclined to dust off the company cheque book... Don't expect to make a fortune, but it might help pay a few bills!

and when you have finished the above you can start again but this time with the focus on motorhomes...!

Don't just think of the caravan mags, local papers often run articles especially in the run up to Easter....parish/local mags, try the nationals as well... "Honest John" started somewhere!

How about running an evening class....caravanning taster sessions (the local authorities pay quite well....(I did this for years, and on differing subjects...!)

The spring and summer fete and fair/Fayre season will soon be upon us....
See if the organisers would welcome you and your van with a sign that says:
(Come and see inside a real caravan!)
It might be fun, and lead to other things!

Enjoy yourself, but keep the van if you possible can... it will help keep you young!

Regards
paws

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Colin, I went through all this angst 11 years ago. Now I wonder what the hell I worried about! We're not wealthy by any means, but it is surprising how the money fills the hole it needs to, just like the daily tasks fill the day.
I can't offer any economy tips, because i don't have any, and although my personal income dropped by over 60% on retirement, I have not made any concious cuts. Obviously, I must have done, but I've not noticed them.
As for your caravan, forget about selling it, as you have found out that it is a mercenary world out there, and its not worth anything like what you thought, so keep it.As you're possibly aware, my car is twenty years old, the caravan is thirty-five this year, but they are both well looked after, and carry us all over Europe every year, so age of your kit is not a problem.
I'm perhaps fortunate in that I have never been materialistic: I believe in function over form. In other words, if it works, and does the job you want it to do, then it doesn't matter how old it is or what it looks like. I caravan often with friends who have new outfits, and a lot more money than I have, but I have never felt in any way inferior to them. I've also never felt "looked down upon" on any site, because of my old outfit.
Yes, the thought of retirement can be frightening, but honest, it's not bad at all! I wish I'd done it when I was young enough to enjoy it a bit more!

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all, thanks for all the kind words and support, when I posed the original retorical question I had in mind memories of past times during the 40odd years with a van. what was once a cheap and cheerful getaway ( and for some of us the only way to actually have holidays) has changed into a quite expensive hobby, true once the van and equipment is to hand and paid for it becomes less of a burden and also true that all the extras like insurance club fees servicing ect, can be broken down into quite small weekly ammounts the cost of fuel site fees and other expenses, still mean overall the total cost per annum is a substancial percentage of ones income well reduced upon retirement, indeed even owning a car capable of towing the van, adds to the overall cost of living even when it is not used for this purpose, I am glad to see that retired members still think it is worth it and enjoy their time away from the four walls of home, it is something well worth thinking about once the finances are in place and one can get a better idea as to the constraints involved. perhaps it's time to venture closer to home instead of the yearly trek of 500 miles and explore the world closer to home, one thing is for sure the 2grand fortnite will be a distant memory as one cannot do a bit of overtime to pay for it!!!!. in reply to Emmerson, I am not materialistic either never have been (couldn't afford it) the last van was nigh on 20years old so I don't consider a 2005 model old, you are right of course it is probably better than some new "damp" ones with bits falling off!!! and I certainly would not be ashamed to park it anywhere, in fact it is like new as it as been well looked after so you can appreciate my suprise at not being able to sell it for a fair price, although that was not the main reason for packing in, non use and two years worth of holidays that turned out to be a disaster that soured our relationship with the little van. once retired and things left to settle down we may use it once again and try to ignite the spark that sent us on a 40 year love affair with caravans we will just have to wait and see!!!. for now more important things need to be addressed it is just a matter of time, something I presume there will be lots of quite soon. colin

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin we too have a 9 year old Sorrento on 123k miles. Caravan is 6 years old and still ticks all the boxes. For the Easter week we have booked in at Elm Beds Poynton 8 miles south of Manchester. £13.00 a night inclusive. Read about it on ukcampsiteshttp://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=5240 .
Lyme Park is virtually next door, of D'Arcy fame Pride and Prejudice.
you will recall I stayed near Pugneys Park last year. Another cheap but very acceptable site.
it is a cultural shock losing a bit chunk of your income but we adjusted . Clothes come from Asda Matalan etc rather than Next.go to the supermarket about 4.oopm and you will find great bargains, many fresh meat joints half price.
have you thought about a part time job? B&Q love the retired knowledgable diyer .
Best of luck Colin.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Dustydog said:
it is a cultural shock losing a bit chunk of your income but we adjusted . Clothes come from Asda Matalan etc rather than Next.go to the supermarket about 4.oopm and you will find great bargains, many fresh meat joints half price.
have you thought about a part time job? B&Q love the retired knowledgable diyer .
Best of luck Colin.
When we go shopping which is once a week, we start at LIDL's, then Poundstretcher and finally Morrisons. We save a good deal of money doing it this way. We like Kenco Decaffinnated coffee, but when the price jumped up from £5 for 200gms, we switched to buying from LIDL saving about £1.60. Today we went to Tesco as the price on Kenco Decaff dropped to £5 so bought 5 units.
However will not compromise on the vehicle, it gets regularly serviced and we prefer to use branded fuels like BP in the vehicle. I have always believed that if you look after a vehicle, it will look after you.
Caravan also gets an annual service using a mobile tech to save money. We also look for campsites that offer discounts to over 50 or sixties or look for a CL.
Maybe we should start a thread on "Saving money" for us Golden Oldies? LOL!
smiley-laughing.gif

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do think we have been very lucky, we paid off our mortgage years ago before the endowment problems reared up and got a very handsome payment and replaced the caravan. Since then pensions have gone to pot but I just made it out before that happened. With mine and my wifes pensions combined we are actually near enough the same as when I retired so keep our heads above water.
Not sure if things will catch up with but but not yet, touch wood.

TRENDING THREADS