Perils of Sat Nav

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On a recent trip to Switzerland, two months ago, came of the ferry at Dunkirk, Sat Nav , decided it was still in the carpark in Dover, took it about 15 miutes for it to get its bearings, luckily I knew where we were. Its the road numbers that get you, district, National and European, the same road could be the D116, N18 and the E 47. But all roads go to Paris. We worth getting a Sanef tolling, tag. Pay at the end of the month. For Paege.

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
As I've mentioned in another thread, I now use the NavFree app on my phone, it has settings for "Car", "Truck", "Cycle" and "Pedestrian", and using the Truck setting has never taken me on a bad route for the caravan. It uses OpenSource maps which are kept up to date by the user base and speed cameras etc are available as a paid upgrade if you want them. Maps are stored on the device so it still works when you're in a no-phone-signal area.

My worst satnav boo-boo was following it when it told me to turn left from the M3 onto the M25 - I thought turning right was the right way, but guessed the satnav maybe knew a better route than I did. I was wrong, it just took me to the next junction and U-turned me! I think that was in my TomTom days.

I've had occasions when following the satnav would have sent me the wrong way up a one way, or turning left or right against a prohibition sign, but I avoid that by looking out of the big window when I'm driving!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gozza said:
...I've had occasions when following the satnav would have sent me the wrong way up a one way, or turning left or right against a prohibition sign, but I avoid that by looking out of the big window when I'm driving!

What a novel idea :cheer:

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
We have a sat nav, but rarely use it as, believe it or not, I like map reading and journey planning. We mainly use the sat nav for negotiating our way through urban areas, both here and on the continent. By using maps - especially abroad - we are able to locate ourselves within the environment and take note of interesting areas and sights.
Jo

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Sproket said:
When it show's you a preview of a route if you don't want to go that way you can ask it to come up with another you don't have to follow it :eek:hmy: also to avoid being sent down narrow country lanes don't choose the shortest route ;)
We have a Tom Tom via 135 which seems to be stuck on "shortest route", which, if we were enslaved to it, would cause problems. Both Herself and I have tried to find out how to change this setting, but cannot do so. Can anyone offer help?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Emerson like I said in a previous Post I found that most annoying been on shortest route . we stayed at the Peak District a few years ago at Castleton and we wanted to go through to Sheffield and we put it on car mode and it took us down some very narrow country winding roads which took ages to negotiate and get through having to pull over for even Wagons & small vans on the roads . I could just get the car down ! So now when we are away we just leave it on caravan mode and it takes us the safest route !! Looking through my sat nav though there is an option which asks you if you want short route of short distance , long-distance route and there's one that also says avoid toll roads so you just gotta flick back and forward till you find it . just leave it on caravan mode. Good luck though

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Reading through some of the previous posts, it appears that the TomTom via 135 is a car-only device!
So we now have to buy the caravan app (or whatever its called) Pity Halfords hadn't told us that when we bought it, especially as we told the salesman we wanted it for caravanning!
Hey, ho, caveat emptor and all that!

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
emmerson said:
Sproket said:
When it show's you a preview of a route if you don't want to go that way you can ask it to come up with another you don't have to follow it :eek:hmy: also to avoid being sent down narrow country lanes don't choose the shortest route ;)
We have a Tom Tom via 135 which seems to be stuck on "shortest route", which, if we were enslaved to it, would cause problems. Both Herself and I have tried to find out how to change this setting, but cannot do so. Can anyone offer help?

Have a read around page 17 / 18

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Sproket. That's what we've been looking for. But it appears to confirm that the 135 is a car only device, so Herself has ordered the caravan thingy.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just downloaded the latest map for my Snooper S2000, and wow, its now frozen up, :evil: have to wait until tomorrow for customer services to open. It is normally a good Caravanning and Motor home one, both Clubs, and ACSI, full Europe with pictures and phone numbers for even cl / cs sites.
But today its a door wedge. !!!!
Hutch.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
emmerson said:
Thanks Sproket. That's what we've been looking for. But it appears to confirm that the 135 is a car only device, so Herself has ordered the caravan thingy.

It says on this Link that the caravan & camper map is compatible for the Via 135.
Maybe worth a look ?

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Although I use a Santa, I still use the original version as well usually by Philip's of the AA in paperback version only lets me down when oh is navigating. :evil:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Well, I had a good response from Snooper, for my "Frozen" S2000n, , the tech guy, told me to reformate the SD card, and redownload the maps. Luckily I am not a total techno terrorist, and was able to do this and all is well, picking up 9 sattelites, tried dry runs to Known places in the UK and on the continent, and looks as though all is back to better than before. Thumbs up for Snooper.
Hutch.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
emmerson said:
Herself has done the job with the caravan thingy. Eighty-nine quid!!!! That now makes it an expensive sat-nav.
I'll try it tomorrow.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
£89 that's cheap for sat nav. Mine costs a lot more than that to run each year. Still I suppose all those diamonds are worth it as we always end up where we should. :cheer:

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Martin24 said:
£89 that's cheap for sat nav. Mine costs a lot more than that to run each year. Still I suppose all those diamonds are worth it as we always end up where we should. :cheer:

No, no mate, that was just for the update! the sat nav cost about £140 if my memory is good Halfords had a special offer a couple of years ago, Sat nav for £99, just about the time our old one died on our way to Europe. But guess what? They had no stock of the special ones left! But we could have a free travel case if we bought the via 135 instead!
I must admit that I've never come unstuck using the car routes; just using a little common sense avoids difficulties.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Martin24 said:
So I'd still be cheaper to exchange SWMBO for a satnav
Yes, but it doesn't drive the car, and doesn't cook breakfast!

Sproket, it's for the caravan route update which the Tom Tom via135 didn't have. In other words, we didn't buy the right sat-nav, so caveat emptor!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts