Perils of Sat Nav

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Somebody decided it would be a good idea to rely on the sat nav when towing their caravan around Cornish villages. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:
stream_img_zpsgpco6n8k.jpg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Parksy said:
Somebody decided it would be a good idea to rely on the sat nav when towing their caravan around Cornish villages. What could possibly go wrong? :lol:

Obviously the Milencos were no good :p

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Parksy said:

Obviously the Milencos were no good :p

It's that tried and trusted method. .... if the mirrors will go through the van will have too .. :eek:hmy:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
According to the ITV news report the road was later unblocked when a farmer moved the caravan for them.
I almost came unstuck myself a few years ago when we were towing the caravan to Chepstow and I relied on the sat nav after I'd left the A40 and should have turned left after crossing the river.
I opted for the right fork which looked wider, just before Satnav Jane belatedly told me to ''Turn Left'' when it was too late. :eek:hmy:
What should have been a relaxing drive through picturesque scenery then developed into a sweating nightmare of narrow lanes containing old cottages on either side which left inches to spare for the caravan to pass through. :woohoo:
I have never failed to check my route beforehand via Google Earth, Street View and any other online resource since then, and I never leave home without a road atlas either.
Has anybody else got any sat nav confessions?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Most roads that are a problem have signs to warn you but some idiots never learn they are there for a purpose.
My daughter did live close to a problem road until recently. Sat navs were sending people who wanted to get from Hamilton to East Kilbride down a narrow twisty lane which ran parallel to the correct dual carriageway. If they ignored the warning signs on sat navs and width restrictions they went down a hill and turned right to be confronted with a 9ft wide bridge and no room to turn round. Coaches and lorries were the main problem but also the odd caravan. Drivers who got stuck were fined and had to pay a local firm to rescue them so may be they learned a lesson.
I always check routes on Google Earth and if any doubts the sites own directions.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Parksy said:

I think he did well to get that far with his reversing......it looks pretty tight!

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
No towing issues with the Sat Nav as yet but it's generally a bit idiotic. Recently it has taken to telling me to leave the motorway, cross the roundabout and rejoin the motorway. Needless to say I've not followed that particular instruction [yet].

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Been caught out in motorhome last year, when advised to take next turning off A 40 in Carmarthen, which placed me in narrow country lane with signs 50 yds in, saying "not suitable for HGV vehicles" ??
Committed, with large motorhome and trailer container trike, on steep hill, in the rain, to lane just wide enough, but too slippery and steep to climb. Clutch burning smell made me stop. It was a Fiat/Autotrail 3ltr auto box van.
Calls to Police & AA gained assistance, as was blocking all traffic. Lucky no one came near.
AA towed van then trailer to turn around car park, and came back down. Traffic copper in van driving seat. He was chuffed as never drove a motorhome before. Hooked up and went other way home. Just 1 hour delay.

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
It's annoying that Google Maps doesn't have a "HGV/Large vehicle" mode. Surely it's achievable? Even if it were a paid for service I'm sure I and many others like me (including hauliers) would want it.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Jules_ht said:
It's annoying that Google Maps doesn't have a "HGV/Large vehicle" mode. Surely it's achievable? Even if it were a paid for service I'm sure I and many others like me (including hauliers) would want it.

The Caravan Club sell sat navs where you can change the vehicle type, including towing a caravan.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Jules_ht said:

The Caravan Club sell sat navs where you can change the vehicle type, including towing a caravan.
That's very true WC but have you seen how expensive they are :eek:hmy:
Once and only once we allowed the Tom Tom to guide us through the steep back roads of Bath. Never again. The map book is checked before each journey and stays in front with us.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
WoodlandsCamper said:
Jules_ht said:

That's very true WC but have you seen how expensive they are :eek:hmy:
Once and only once we allowed the Tom Tom to guide us through the steep back roads of Bath. Never again. The map book is checked before each journey and stays in front with us.

If you have one of the TomTom range of Sat Navs you can purchase the Camper & Caravan mapping features and load it onto the Sat Nav,I did this my self onto my TomTom Start 60 if you check around the web normally some good deals are to be had ;)
The new mapping cost at the moment £53.97 it's under the name Europe Camper ;)

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Ive just bought a TomTom go 6000, if I bought the caravan mapping thingy, does it assume I'm towing all the time from that point onwards or do I have to tell it when I'm towing my caravan, sorry if this is a daft question but I need to know please.

Sean.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Sean

All you do is go into your settings and choose the type of vehicle you are driving it will then suggest a route based on your settings ie: length width and axle weight ... it's very easy to do & use ... just remember that if you have been using the car and caravan setting unless you change it back to the car it will still suggest caravan routes.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have an old, 4 maybe 5 year old Snooper S 2000N., on my lastest map update, I got a full updateof ACSI, Cc C&Cc, Bord camper stop, full cl and cs sites, with photoes and phone numbers, I tell it that we are 3 meters wide and 12 meters long, and a trailer, Its been very good.
The new Santa Fe took me off the M 25 going down to Storrington, across the roundabout and back on the M25. I know a few other people having this done to them.
Hutch.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Sean , hi ,
We have the " Tom Tom camper & caravan live " sat nav , best bit off kitt bought - for a Christmas present ! As sprocket says you can change the settings from towing to just car but last year whilst down at castleton ( Peak District ) we were out & about on just normal car mode and it took us through some pretty tight singular track country lanes and steep inclines , so now we leave it on towing mode and it takes proper suitable roads just as quick .
Enjoy .

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
We have had the Tom Tom Go Live Camper & Caravan for about 18 months and think it very good. However it did take us the long way round (staying on 2 digit A roads) from Wareham Dorset to the M5 when there were more direct routes suitable for towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sproket said:
When it show's you a preview of a route if you don't want to go that way you can ask it to come up with another you don't have to follow it :eek:hmy: also to avoid being sent down narrow country lanes don't choose the shortest route ;)

Just a bit more to add to Sproket's post.......

Try not to become a slave to Sat Nav. As clever as they are, what happens when they let you down?

Always take a map with you, I also suggest previewing the route especially when towing and checking it off on the map to look for unsuitable roads it might take you down.

But even without pre-checking, you should be using your eyes and brain, so if the road signage or other tell tale clues suggest the road the sat nav has told you looks too tortuous don't go down it.

Its quite strange that before sat navs we all managed quite well and there fewer oops-oh-nasties, because we looked for and believed the road signs. Map reading skills are an endangered process, and thats a shame because it can be quite fun.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Sproket said:
When it show's you a preview of a route if you don't want to go that way you can ask it to come up with another you don't have to follow it :eek:hmy: also to avoid being sent down narrow country lanes don't choose the shortest route ;)

Just a bit more to add to Sproket's post.......

Try not to become a slave to Sat Nav. As clever as they are, what happens when they let you down?

Always take a map with you, I also suggest previewing the route especially when towing and checking it off on the map to look for unsuitable roads it might take you down.

But even without pre-checking, you should be using your eyes and brain, so if the road signage or other tell tale clues suggest the road the sat nav has told you looks too tortuous don't go down it.

Its quite strange that before sat navs we all managed quite well and there fewer oops-oh-nasties, because we looked for and believed the road signs. Map reading skills are an endangered process, and thats a shame because it can be quite fun.[/quote]

Especially if the wife is doing it and you like all day mystery tours.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts