Tarpaulins

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi, bit of a strange subject but can I ask if anyone uses a tarpaulin under their ground sheets? We like many others have had condensation in our porch and awning so want to stop moisture coming up. Is there any tarpaulins that anyone could recommend or do I go and buy one from perhaps from Wicks or Screwfix and other such outlets, as always thanks for any help.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Most sites would ban the use of tarpaulins as it kills the grass underneath. To avoid condensation issues , make sure that the awning is well ventilated.

Reactions: Challenger
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi, bit of a strange subject but can I ask if anyone uses a tarpaulin under their ground sheets? We like many others have had condensation in our porch and awning so want to stop moisture coming up. Is there any tarpaulins that anyone could recommend or do I go and buy one from perhaps from Wicks or Screwfix and other such outlets, as always thanks for any help.
What make of awning? Kampa, now Dometic, sell internal ceiling panels for their air awnings which previously suffered condensation problems.

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
What make of awning? Kampa, now Dometic, sell internal ceiling panels for their air awnings which previously suffered condensation problems.
Our current porch awning is a Sunncamp, doesn't sweat all the time, perhaps the humidity has an impact and as said tried the ventilation idea but still experienced it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use tarps on hardstanding, wouldn't use them on grass, except in France when they don't seem to care, we find it stops condensation and keeps the 'carpet 'clean, just bought new ones this morning, cheapest and thinnest work for us, Proper Job is where we get ours, perhaps check if you have one local to you

Reactions: Somersetboy
Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
We use tarps on hardstanding, wouldn't use them on grass, except in France when they don't seem to care, we find it stops condensation and keeps the 'carpet 'clean, just bought new ones this morning, cheapest and thinnest work for us, Proper Job is where we get ours, perhaps check if you have one local to you
Thanks,this is the line of thought I was going in.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I have found that condensation only seems to occur when the awning is over grass. That's because plants expire moisture. Pitch on hard standing and the problem doesn't seem to occur. When on grass decent ventilation overnight minimises condensation.

Reactions: Raywood

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I have found that condensation only seems to occur when the awning is over grass. That's because plants expire moisture. Pitch on hard standing and the problem doesn't seem to occur. When on grass decent ventilation overnight minimises condensation.
My ( very brief) experience of girl guide camping involved lifting everything possible off the ground and rolling up all the tent sides during the day time 😂
Mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our current porch awning is a Sunncamp, doesn't sweat all the time, perhaps the humidity has an impact and as said tried the ventilation idea but still experienced it.
Have you tried a Roof lining for your Sunncamp that gives and extra layer of protection to help reduce condensation

Apr 18, 2024
Visit site
Get a piece of white waste pipe from a DIY store and cut it into 300mm (1 foot) lengths, then place them under the caravan skirt, allowing air in. Also place them on the opposite side (door or window side) This creates a small wind tunnel, that allows air to move dragging damp air out.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We used a cotton awning for many ears and had no condensation problems. Possibly the synthetic ones do not breath in the same way and cause this. Ventilation is needed if on grass though.

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
I have a very thick tough tarp that we use for short wet trips on grass, we do not use a carpet on top. I would not use it on long trips but for a couple of days it does no damage at all and is easily cleaned.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts