petrol espace

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi all

we are just about to purchase a Bailey Discovery 400, but we are concern about towing it with a Renault Espace 2000 petrol, i know we are in the towing weight requirements, but i have been advised by work colleagues that a diesel would be a more comfortable towing experience, so do i need to shell out for a new car? any comments would be much appreciated

ps new to caravanning

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Brianc. I have had both a two litre Petrol espace (Phase 2 model)and currently a 2.2 diesel(phase 3). Both models towed well, but I would suggest that the diesel is the more relaxed vehicle. The petrol whilst quite able did require more gear changing, where as the diesel manages to pull quite hapily in 5th gear at 30mph. I would stick with the petrol until you decide to change and then consider the Diesel.

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
I don't tow with an Espace, but do tow with a petrol 406. John's absolutely right it's not worth changing the vehicle. We regularly travel with some friends who use a C5 HDI and although we lose out a bit on the hills. Generally there is little to choose between us in terms of performance. And I firmly believe if your doing less than 10K miles a year it's difficult to justify the premium you'll pay for a diesel vehicle. Diesel 406's are about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree diesel all the time,i towed with saab 9000 for 5 years and tried to convince myself it wasnt economic to change to diesal,recently bought the new scenic 1.9 dci,,,,tows like a dream 5 th gear all the way,not 6 unfortunatly,supeb fuel consumption

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I tow A Discovery 300 with a 1.8 petrol Vectra & this cope surprisingly well with it. The discovery's are very lightweight & I would have thought it would cope well.Don't change car until you have tried the one you have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts