Phew! It'a hot in Croatia - Our latest progress report

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

After my original moans about it being very rainy on our journey from Dunkerque to Bled in Slovenia I thought I'd tell you about the change of weather and our further progess.

We spent 6 nights at Camping Bled. After the first night the weather was generally hot and sunny. We visited the island in Bled lake, did a walking circuit of Lake Bled and had a day out at Lake Bohinj. Lots of majestic lake and mountain scenery.

Last Wednesday we set out for Croatia travelling mainly by motorway. We had phoned ahead as we travelled down to reserve a place at Camping Adriatic (in Alan Rogers) in Primosten in Dalmatia and were told a large pitch would be kept for us near the sea. When we got there there was no reserved pitch and those available were stoney and sloping.

We, therefore, phoned and pressed on 80 Km to Camp Galeb at Omis which is c20Km south of Split. The single carraigeway coast road was very busy and twisty but fantastic views out to sea. We arrived at Camp Galeb rather late in the evening. As it was very busy and getting dark we ended up, still hitched-up, in the "unmarked" area which had no defined pitches surrounded by lots of tents!!!

In the morning we were able to move a pitch 3 rows back from the sea on a large shady pitch with water and sewage connections. Yesterday a family on an adjacent pitch left and we moved onto that pitch we are now set up with our awning looking out over a beautiful deep-blue sea.

Camp Galeb is flat and grassy with lots of mature trees for shade. It is right on the beach which is shingly sand, that's good for Croatia where sandy beaches are in VERY short supply. The sea is lovely for swimming and paddling and there are, also, folk sailboarding and doing other water sports. The weather is VERY hot and sunny with temperatures of 26-29C in the sun but, fortunately, a sea breeze.

Omis, about 1 Km up the road, is quite a picturesque town set at the mouth of a river gorge where it enters the sea. Steep limestone cliffs surrounding the town are topped by 2 ruined castles. The main coast road goes through the town so it tends to a bit of a traffic bottleneck.

We are probably going to stay here for the last 2 weeks of our Slovenian/Croatian trip. We are, also, going to get our Zodiac inflatable boat out soon and have a few sea trips. There is mooring off the campsite beach.

Our eldest son and his girlfriend are currently driving down through Europe and plan to meet up with us so that will be good.

We plan to get out visit the gorge and some of the nearby islands. before making our way home via Zagreb, Graz, Nurnberg, etc to Chateau Gandspette near Dunkerque. We have booked a few nights there to get Max, the collie, treated and his pet passport stamped by the local vet.

Tim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Tim

It is good to hear you are having a very good time in Croatia and the weather is picking up yes the sea in that part of the world is very nice and very clean.

A word of caution I had a friend many years ago who was a merchant seaman living in Rijeka and a Croatian national he had his own motor boat. He always stressed that the utmost caution should be taken when going out in a boat in that part of the world as the sea and weather can change very quickly and without warning. even locals get caught out. Please bear this in mind when out on your boat and take all necessary safety precautions such as notifying people where you are going and for how long

Best Regards

john

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that wise warning John - very thoughtful of you. I'll certainly bear it mind as I am a cautious sailor - round the bay is usually my limit.

Thanks again.
Tim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Your most welcome tim
THE WARNING THAT MY FRIEND GAVE ME HAS ALWAYS REMAINED IN MY MIND AS WHEN WE WENT OUT IN HIS BOAT IT WAS A REALLY HOT DAY BUT WITHIN AN HOUR OF LEAVING THE BAY THE WEATHER CHANGED WITHIN MINUTES HAD HE NOT BEEN WITH US AND COULD READ THE SIGNS WE MAY HAVE BEEN IN TROUBLE.

enjoy the rest of your stay await the next update
John

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Dear Tim,

I read with interest your trip to Slovenia and Croatia as we are thinking of going there next year - it was the mention of your collie that caught my eye! How have you got on in these contries with your dog? Have you taken any particular precautions? How have you coped with ticks?
Hope you are enjoying the rest of your holiday!

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Karen
We got back safely from our trip yesterday and I am now sitting in cool and cloudy St Helens typing this.
We got on fine with Max our collie. Our vet had advised his usual medication of Milbemax for worms, Frontiline for tics and fleas and additionally a Scaribor collar for sandflies. Max slept a lot in the caravan when it was hot but as he's now 15+ he does that a lot anyway!!! Max obviously had his pet passport and this was checked by the Norfolk Line check-in at Dover on the way out.
After that no one "looked" at him or the passport again until we took him to the vet nr Camping Chateau Gandspette last Wednesday. The vet-visit window of less than 48 but more than 24 hrs before check-in is quite tight and so we had booked Chateau G and the local vet in July. The vet Jean Paulus charged €43 which I thought was a RIP OFF as all he did was weigh Max and administer Frontline and a worming tablet, in a piece of cheese and then fill out the passport.
At the Norfolk Line check-in I was asked to scan Max for his chip number and this was checked against his passport. We were given a large flourescent sticker with pet and a picture of a dog on for the windscreen. The latter only became clear when, on leaving the ferry at Dover, we were stopped near customs by a lady "from Animal Health" who asked to see Max's passport. We had already put this away and when we were struggling to find it again she waved us on so that we did not hold up the traffic!!!.
No one in any of the other countries ever commented on Max or asked to see his Passport - not even when we had to have ours stamped when crossing from Slovenia to Croatia.
The only inconvenience in my opinion is having to allow the "window" to visit the vet before boarding the ferry to the UK which effectively took 2 days of our hols. In 2009 when we didn't have Max we arrived at Dunkerque at midnight and slept there before catching the 06.00 ferry the following morning.
I hope this helps.
Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts