Plane spotters heaven

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Travelling back down the Fosse a few days back our route takes us past Kemble airfield. For some years now there has been an active plane recycling facility at the end of the runway and a smallish cargo hub on the estate. But now it is like "planes are us", given the large number of large jets parked up along the main runway. Sadly very near to the road are some BA 747's which sadly will be seeing their final journey to the end of runway recycling centre, unless bought for cargo etc, or a better recycling offer from ellsewhere. It brings home to me the scale of problems that aviation is facing. For many of those aircraft Rolls Royce may have been being paid to support the engine per flying hour. And they are no longer flying. Thats a loss of four engines per jumbo, and there were A330, A340 and B777 aircraft all parked up.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Travelling back down the Fosse a few days back our route takes us past Kemble airfield. For some years now there has been an active plane recycling facility at the end of the runway and a smallish cargo hub on the estate. But now it is like "planes are us", given the large number of large jets parked up along the main runway. Sadly very near to the road are some BA 747's which sadly will be seeing their final journey to the end of runway recycling centre, unless bought for cargo etc, or a better recycling offer from ellsewhere. It brings home to me the scale of problems that aviation is facing. For many of those aircraft Rolls Royce may have been being paid to support the engine per flying hour. And they are no longer flying. Thats a loss of four engines per jumbo, and there were A330, A340 and B777 aircraft all parked up.

The scrap yard owner was interviewed very recently. The company does very well out of dismantling mainly 747’s. In fact top gear a couple of years ago had his daughter belt the new Bentley down the runway.

Now, as you say, there are lots of planes parked up, including many 747’s. There because the runway can take them, they have the room, and good parking rates. These are planes that were in service with years more planned use. He thinks the next port of call will be with him for scrapping. But values have dived. I think he used to sell the engines for £1m each. But now there won’t be any buyers.

The fuselage makes a great house. Someone did it on a TV show.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The scrap yard owner was interviewed very recently. The company does very well out of dismantling mainly 747’s. In fact top gear a couple of years ago had his daughter belt the new Bentley down the runway.

Now, as you say, there are lots of planes parked up, including many 747’s. There because the runway can take them, they have the room, and good parking rates. These are planes that were in service with years more planned use. He thinks the next port of call will be with him for scrapping. But values have dived. I think he used to sell the engines for £1m each. But now there won’t be any buyers.

The fuselage makes a great house. Someone did it on a TV show.

John
BA were planning to retire their 747s by 2024 I think, but guess that many newer A380s won’t fly again now. Shame as I much prefer four engines to two 🤫

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts