Planned trip to Austria

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I would be really grateful for some help with a planned trip to Salzburg Austria this year if possible.
My help would be with caravan sites to stop the night at whilst we are on route, we plan to stop at least for 2 nights over the approx 700 miles, so say 300 or so miles between stops.
Does anyone know of a web site or book(s) that show sites along the two routes that will accept one night stops, so a few sites can be picked pending on the distance travelled.
Just make the trip more pleasurable and stress free if sites can be found prior to travel along either route.
Many thanks for any help.
Kind regards,
Ian.

Two possible routes would be,
Route A
Calais on the A26 to Reims then the A4 to Metz, then the A25 to Stuttgard and finally Salzburg.

This is the shortest route, my only concern last time I used the A26 a few years ago now, it was that bumpy nearly shock the outfit to pieces. Have they now improved that road does anyone know?.

Route B
Calais up into Belgium on the A16 then A25 to Lille then E42 to Mons then E411 E25 to Luxembourg to Karlsruhe then A35 to Salzburg.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The route B will be less cost as the motorways are free Luxemburg is fairly inexpensive, both routes have many small sites to stop at for just one night. we use the ACSI website and book. Cheap enough for a years membership. I am sure Val T will pop up with some good advice. Avoid going into Switzerland with the caravan as you will need a Vignette for both the van and car. Austria gives weekly monthly and yearly vignettes.
Enjoy your trip.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
On my last 4 trips to/through Austria I have used your 'B' route. First night stop in Luxembourg, second night somewhere just past Munich. Plenty of overnight sites in both areas.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH and cherished,

Thank you both for your quick replies, much appreciated. My choice is also route B have used it in the past when going to exhibitions in Germany, but not with a caravan on my back.
Luxembourg and Munich sound good for stopping at and nice to know there are lots of sites at both locations. Will have a look at the ACSI also sounds very promising.
We are both disabled now so the days of driving for hours and thinking nothing of it are gone, a more gentle pace suits us better.
Thanks again both for your help.

Kind regards,
Ian

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The ASIC is good and also the CMHC Touring Europe guides have lots of sites and costs £10.99 non members with reduction for members. One guide covers France. Another Spain and Portugal and the third the rest of Europe including Belgium Luxembourg Germany etc. They do a bundle of all three for something like £17-18. We always keep one in the car when touring. Like you we prefer advance booking with minimal surprises.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Pulsynetic said:
Knew I had forgotten something. Excuse my ignorance but what is a Vignette?.

Thanks,
Ian

It’s a charge to use motorways or other defined routes. Generally time limited. Purchased at border or near to borders. Think I read somewhere where they may be purchased on line but needs checking for best options.
https://www.tolltickets.com/country/austria/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks otherclive, can never have to much information, will certainly as well as the ASIC seek out the CMHC sound very handy resources.
Thanks also for the translation of the Vignette, done many miles in Europe but never travelled as far east as Austria so never come across it, well now I know, thanks.
Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
Ian

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
With regard to the Vignette, every garage and services for about 50 kms before the border seem to sell them. So easy to buy on route that I've never bought them in advance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks DavenGill1 that's handy to know and make life simpler. I have travelled quite a bit in Holland, France and Germany over the years for business, but its been about 6 years since the last time. Not come across this Vignette in the past, so is it something new that's been introduced for the whole of Europe or just travelling into Austria?.
Thanks again.

Kind regards,
Ian

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Switzerland Austria and Czech Republic are countries that use them. The link in my earlier post tells you which are the current ones. They have been required in Switzerland and Austria for some years now. One reason is it taxes vehicles that are just using the country as a through route and don't buy fuel etc. But of course it affects visitors too. When we went to Poland we decided to buy the Czech vignette as the motorways were so good but local non vignette A roads were a bit ifffy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes I agree certainly is the way forward and being able to book it online before we go is another thing less to worry about.
Thanks very much.

Kind regards,
Ian

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you should have to purchase the windscreen sticker vignette don’t do what I first did and mount it where the black shadow area of the screen is. You can remove it but it generally finishes up in multiple pieces. Hence becomes invalid as they are impossible to remount.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks otherclive that is worth knowing, they certainly going make sure it won't blow off lolol. I am hoping to do it online, but if not, I will make sure not to put it on the blacked out area of the screen.
Many thanks for the advice.

Kind regards,
Ian

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Cant help you with caravan stops but we are regular visitors to Austria and in particular the Salzburg area. We usually stay at Sankt Gilgen on Lake Wolfgang and there are half a dozen sites around the lake. Cant vouch for their quality but the area really is the business.

As for whichever route you take, (we usually have three overnight stops as we like to site see along the way. Using the tunnel, we do Bruges. Our last trip took in Koblenz for night two stopping to see the Bridge at Remagen, and out third night is always the same, Rothenburg ob der Tauber. If you havent seen Rothenburg, its a must. Google it. From there dropping down past Munich, passing Chiemsee near Rosenheim and on into Austria.

Once in Austria in the Salzburg area, the Salzkammergut region is utterly stunning. Add to that the the trip up Dachstein, same up Unterberg, the Grossglockner, Hohenwerfen (Where Eagles dare), The Kelsteinhaus (Eagles nest) Ice Caves, Salt mines and so so much more. Have to say the Fortress at Salzburg was very disappointing. In Salzburg is a street famous for its signs called the Getreidegasse. Superb to walk through, and at the top a hotel called Carpe Diem which has a truly wonderful cafe/coffee shop.

A last point for the are is to visit the Tourist Info as soon as you arrive. Pay a few Euros for Salzkammergut discount book, its tickets will save you a fortune.

This is an area I know extremely well. If you need any info, let me know or ask the mods for my email address. Cant help you as i said the caravan sites, but the rest inc restaurants etc, no problem.

As for the Grossglockner, if you have seen the Stelvio pass on Top Gear, this comes very very close if not better.

Edit to add, for Dachstein, google the Five Fingers of Dachstein and the Stairway to nothingness.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Thingy,

Thank you for all the information, not always easy on a first trip to find all the best places to visit, you certainly have put together an impressive list, thanks very much.
We had planned a trip up the grossglockner, but can see there is so much more just hope we can squeeze it all in.
Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to reply and this also goes to all the other members who so kindly gave up their time to reply to our planned trip to Austria.

Kind regards,
Ian

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Youre welcome.

I recorded my last trip over the Grossglockner, see
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-ucfA5tBqQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Its quite long and in three parts, so if you watch, start from 26 minutes. If you do the run, there is a branch road off that runs down to the village of Heiligenblut. If you time it right, they have regular food fairs in the square under a massive marquee, and literally everything is on offer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks very much, looks fantastic. Question, did you find the altitude a problem with breathing as I have had a heart bypass and have COPD but am not on oxygen.

Kind d regards,
Ian

May 24, 2014
Visit site
No, not at all. As long as you dont rush about, you will be fine. The air is a little rarer than down here but not enough to worry you. Walking around normally is fine and its not noticeable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts