Planning to buy a first van

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
Hello all, we are regular campers planning to upgrade to our first van soon. Have pretty much decided on a second hand 4 berth Bailey Ranger to be towed by our Lexus IS 250.

I've spotted one for sale that seems good value (£4.9k, loads of extras, open to offers) which is cheap because it has a crack in the front window. Should I avoid like the plague?

Any advice very welcome!
Thanks

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If it has the large single front window then expect to pay around £1000 for a new window, which makes your cheap van not so cheap.

Keep looking, there will be better vans around.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You might be able to replace the window with one from a scrapper which might make the caravan cheap, if you have the ability to fix it. On balance though I would buy your first caravan from a dealer as you get far better rights and probably a guarantee and most will either have a beginners pack cheap or a discount accessories.
Personally I would not want a newcomer to buy a caravan privately unless they take an experienced caravanner with them as there is a lot to check out both to make sure the seller owns it and it isin good condition. As suggeste3d earlier a damp check is essential.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Best, what county are you in?
I know a well respected dealer in Wiltshire who has a great variety of units in your price bracket giving all the usual warranties etc , for three to six months with the chance for extension. I believe all come with a detailed damp report and are usually serviced by agreement prior to purchase.
Nothing is cast iron but better you have some redress as others have suggested.
If you know what are doing by all means go private but be very careful.

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
Hello and thanks for replying. We are utter novices so can understand the sense in using a dealer.

We’re in Cardiff @dustydog so Wiltshire absolutely in range if you can recommend someone good.

B

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
BezD said:
Hello and thanks for replying. We are utter novices so can understand the sense in using a dealer.

We’re in Cardiff @dustydog so Wiltshire absolutely in range if you can recommend someone good.

B

Tilshead just south of Salisbury do Swift and Coachman. Both myself and a friend use them and find them excellent. Also when I had a Bailey Chipping Sodbury Caravanswere very
good. Both are relatively small dealerships and seem to retain a good personal touch. Both have been going years too.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Bez

Chipping Sodbury are excellent. Had three from them over the years. However their used range is limited.
My local dealer has a great range and were Runners up in the Best Dealer awards a while back.
https://www.swindoncaravansgroup.com/used-prices?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt4yIw_LN3AIVTLDtCh0TkwC0EAAYASABEgKI3_D_BwE

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
Thanks all for your advice. I'm planning a trip to a couple of local dealers on the weekend just to start scouting layouts etc. I definitely will NOT be buying until the autumn. Honest.

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
So we did it. Put a deposit down on a Bailey Pursuit 560-5 2016. Picking it up towards the end of the month. Very excited!

Can’t believe how many “extras” there are to buy over and above the price of the van.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
BezD said:
So we did it. Put a deposit down on a Bailey Pursuit 560-5 2016. Picking it up towards the end of the month. Very excited!

Can’t believe how many “extras” there are to buy over and above the price of the van.
Not buying until the autumn :woohoo: you naughty boy :evil:
Well. Hopefully your new baby is sound and damp free. Dealer or private.

Plenty of time this year to enjoy. Caravanning is all year round on here. Go for it!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
As Dusty D says, go away all year round lots of sites, small and large depends on what you want, enjoy it though.
And smile and laugh about your first mishaps. :p

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
Inevitable wasn’t it. Not that it matters but I’m female as it happens. Beyond excited for our first trip at the end of the month. Greenman festival first though! Thanks for all the good wishes.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
BezD said:
Inevitable wasn’t it. Not that it matters but I’m female as it happens. Beyond excited for our first trip at the end of the month. Greenmman festival first though! Thanks for all the good wishes.

Just enjoy, and talk too people, too many people are shy. Chin wag and meet friends. :)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Congratulations on buying your caravan Bez, check to find out what you're getting included with the caravan such as a leisure battery, ehu (electric hook up) lead, water carrier and waste water container step, gas bottles, awning etc.
If you're buying from a dealer and have paid a deposit I suspect that you might be too late to negotiate the inclusion of these items in the deal but it's worth asking anyway.

Check free online ads such as Gumtree or online auction sites for things like the Aquaroll and waste container to avoid spending more money than you have to, these items often appear in the used sections. Enjoy your caravan and if there's anything you want to know - just ask :)

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
Thank you folks, what a friendly bunch you are.

The van comes with a motor mover, EHU and steps. We can have 20% off other bits and bobs do we will get the batter with the dealer and sort other stuff out elsewhere. We will leave the awning until next year but will get Gas, aqua roll and waste now.

One question - our first break will be at a serviced pitch which had grey waste and water on each pitch. What do we need for that? Thanks!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi BezD,For a service pitch you'll need a few things,let's start with water supply.You need to buy an aqua roll stop ****,this screws into side of Aqua roll and has a hose pipe end facing out.(I'd advise buying the genuine aqua roll kit-I bought a cheap one and its crap)You also need a length of hose -dealers usually sell blue food grade hose,use this not any old hose.Id also get a "y" piece tap connector to screw onto tap,then you connect your hose to Aqua roll on one side and you still have a water outlet for other water.
Waste,your van will have the larger 28mm outlets(I think) you'll need two lengths about a foot long going into a "y" piece,from here you'll need a few longer lengths to reach the drain.I have 3, 2m lengths that all connect together depending on how far drain is away.
If you go on YouTube and type it in they'll be loads,have a look and talk to your dealer about bits.
No matter how much you buy you'll find yourself 2ft short at some point and have to reposition van after you've just got it level and set up,not that that's happened to me :whistle: :whistle: :woohoo:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
All the accessory shops will have a plethora of things that look like a good idea (at the time). Dont weight yourselves down (literally) with buying everything you see. Start with what appears to be the basics and essentials, then throw half of them away. Space and weight capacity are always at a premium with caravanning so dont waste money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts