Please do not try and justify dogs!

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes the dreaded dog saga again and this is our first experience!

Not a CL or CS site we couldn’t get on one in our travelling time on Friday night. So we got on a site by Evesham. Nice site in an orchard with static’s in the next field. I have relatives in the static’s so the BBQ Saturday nigh was enjoyable and a good laugh. I put the awning up in the dark (which was a first for me) and I was very proud of my achievement.

Anyway ‘THE DOGS’ I’d started putting up the dish on Saturday morning, we were on an end pitch so it was taking awhile (yes men do cant), She calls me in for my bacon and egg sandwich and while we were sitting there we heard a noise in the awning, as I walked to the door in pops 2 west highland terrors (little white things with diamond studded collars). Straight on to the seats after my sarny; She pushed them off the seats and I ushered them out of the caravan and the awning saying loudly this is not your home.

They belonged to a caravan 3 pitches away. They eventually shouted sorry but in a sarcastic way.

The littler of the two dogs did have a growl at me, if it had have gone further than that, I was ready to score three points! I wonder what the owner would have said then?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A good basis for an old fashioned anti- dog rant with dog lovers taking the opposite view so sooner or later a classic forum bust up (or dare I say dog fight) will probably ensue
smiley-undecided.gif

I'd agree it's not the best experience and of course it shouldn't happen but surely the fault lies with the owners of the dogs? No doubt the pooches smelt the bacon and attempted a raid but they should have been secured by the owner who ultimately is responsible for what happened.
Did you ask the dog owner to keep control of their dogs or complain to the site owner?
Did the experience ruin your stay or did you just chalk it up to one of those things?
In the great scheme of things these things sometimes happen, we haven't got a dog and Herself is scared of them but those little Westies take some catching and occasionally the unexpected happens and there's not a lot that you can do about it.
smiley-laughing.gif

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
The dogs were loose all weekend and when you see the owners of the dogs and the manager of the park are close friends, complaining is fruitless.

No it did not spoil our weekend, breaking down (again) on the M5 on the way back was though (another story for another time).
smiley-frown.gif

We do not mind dogs but feel it inconsiderate of the owners and shows in my opinion an I’m alright Jack attitude – sod you, I love my dogs so should everyone. OK I’m into that thing that happens between two consenting adults
smiley-cool.gif
but I do not crawl into their awning and do it – do I (don’t answer that). It is the same principle ‘respect’ for others and my likes are not always to other peoples tastes

Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
What a strange heading: Don't Try To Justify Dogs.
As it happens I'm a dog owner and lover, but I can't justify the behaviour of the owner of the dogs. Unfortunately, you get selfish people in all walks of life, not only dog owners.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If the dog owners and the site manager are bessie mates, they might be regular users or seasonals so the only thing that you can do is to vote with your tow hitch to use a better site.
Arguing about the dogs on site wouldn't make for a great or relaxing weekend, I'd never go back to a site with loose dogs running around if my comments to the site owner were ignored.
You could add a review to our stablemate website Caravan Sitefinder
smiley-laughing.gif

Let everybody know that there are loose dogs on this site who will enter your caravan and nick your bacon butty if they get the chance, and your review would give you the chance to win £1000.
Let me know where you will be staying next so that I can keep a bucket full of cold water in my awning - just in case
smiley-surprised.gif

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
And exactly what have the poor little dowgs done wrong???????????? Yes the owners should have them under control but the dowgs have done nothing wrong!!!!!! Now people that stink the site out with the smell of bacon, probably really annoy vegetarians!!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I was recently on a CS which was a farm. A nice site with friendly owners. The trouble was that two dogs were forever wandering about the site and leaving dumps. One was a Jack Russell, lovely friendly little dog and the other was a male Rottweiler which did give me the collywobbles. No point in complaining about the loose dogs or mess though because they belonged to the farmer
smiley-frown.gif

I'm away for 3 weeks now in Cornwall and only this week our neighbour was hunting around our van looking for her Jack Russell.
Another chap across the way walks his dog down the back of the three vacant pitches next to him for his dog to do its business and last week a couple either walked their dog along the hedge separating our pitches or around the site despite there being dog walks in four different directions just 30 yards away. This morning I took ours for their walk and on the path leading up to the dog walk there was fresh dumps from some idle, irresponsible, anti-social b*****d
smiley-yell.gif

Yesterday there was a ginormous pile on the river footpath and today I see someones trod in it. If there's such a thing as justice it will be one of those idle gits who don't bother to clear up
smiley-laughing.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Sat having my tea today when a large motorhome arrived. Within a few minutes the side door opened and 3 dogs jumped out being followed by the female owner being dragged out of the van clinging to their leads. Immediately after 2 more dogs followed but not on leads. These two were all over the place running over pitches. Next the woman headed to the dog walk with the 3 on leads followed by the 2 loose dogs and the husband following 20 paces behind. All he did was go to the shower block leaving the wife to try and control 5 dogs. She was back within minutes. My money is on her not bothering to clean up because I would think it would be impossible hence I didn't bother to use the same walk when taking our 2 later.
Hopefully, because it's a motorhome and most motorhomers seem to suffer with ADHD and usually don't stay on sites long they'll be gone in the morning.
If oldagetraveller had witnessed this he would have had apoplexy
smiley-frown.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Sat having my tea today when a large motorhome arrived. Within a few minutes the side door opened and 3 dogs jumped out being followed by the female owner being dragged out of the van clinging to their leads. Immediately after 2 more dogs followed but not on leads.....................
..................If oldagetraveller had witnessed this he would have had apoplexy
smiley-frown.gif
Does that mean that the dogs would have stroked old age traveller Lord B?
24.gif

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Graham Derby said:
Good day my Lord, I know the site you mean, i stay there. At least the site owner has always been and cleaned up the dog do when i have been there.
I didn't see that Graham although I never made a study of it. We were pitched against the hedge next to the lane but I did notice the morning we left that there was a pile by the side of the awning and another by the front of the car. My main concern was the lady farmer might think it was ours.
When we first arrived a couple staying on the site from Essex came out and told us to watch where we tread whilst nodding to a pile of dumps saying it didn't belong to their Sheltie
smiley-laughing.gif

We haven't let it deter us from stopping there again though because the owners are very friendly.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
........there was a pile by the side of the awning and another by the front of the car. .................it was ours.

Then may I in the most humblist way suggest that you ask for a pitch near the ameanities Malord
smiley-embarassed.gif

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Graham Derby said:
Good day my Lord, I know the site you mean, i stay there. At least the site owner has always been and cleaned up the dog do when i have been there.
I didn't see that Graham although I never made a study of it. We were pitched against the hedge next to the lane but I did notice the morning we left that there was a pile by the side of the awning and another by the front of the car. My main concern was the lady farmer might think it was ours.

This always worries us we have 4 dogs which are always on a lead and the missus picks up after them. Last weekend because of all the dogs running around loose, not ours, she was constantly picking up poo that other dogs had deposited near our caravan. Unfortunately responsible dog owners get lumped together with the irresponsible owners.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
This is always the way surfer.

How many responsible dog owners have come on this thread and condemed the act of allowing dogs to run free? Does this mean the majority of dog owners on here allow their dogs to run free?

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
People, people,people, dogs will only do what they are allowed to do!Fortunately for us our dogs are very titchy and so their poop would easily identified if indeed it could be found in the grass.I myself have to pay close attention so as to be able to scoop it up!!!!Chickens do bigger jobs!!! It must be a bit daunting when cleaning up after a big dog!!! It has been our experience that dogs who are let out after dark are the main offenders.We have to take ours on leads so they dont get lost in the dark.A good torch is paramount for poop picking up.How much easier it would be if dog owners played by the rules.After all we wouldnt like it if kiddies left deposits on the ground!!!!!
Thursdays Child.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
kelvin said:
This is always the way surfer.

How many responsible dog owners have come on this thread and condemed the act of allowing dogs to run free? Does this mean the majority of dog owners on here allow their dogs to run free?
Am I a responsible dog owner? Buddy is always on the lead even to the point of going from the van to the car. He is on the lead on the way to the dog exercise area and only let off when there are no other dogs in the near vacinity, this is due to a small minority of owners who have no control over there dogs, Buddy has been attacked 3 times in excercise area's and he is not even a year old yet.
My way of thinking is, if mines on a lead those irrisponsible ones can pay any vet bill's incurred but more importantly I have full control to protect my pet. It also helps me to take a full swing with my right boot.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Gagakev said:
My way of thinking is, if mines on a lead those irrisponsible ones can pay any vet bill's incurred but more importantly I have full control to protect my pet. It also helps me to take a full swing with my right boot.

Also when you have your dog on a lead you can see when it dumps. Half of dog owners who let their dogs off the lead take themselves off down the path whilst their dog is twenty paces behind dumping and whats more they don't care.
If they have more than one dog off the lead running about it's nigh on impossible to have control of them or even find their dumps.

Thursdays Child said:
It must be a bit daunting when cleaning up after a big dog!!! Thursdays Child.

Yes it must TC and you need big hands. Also if they can't stomach the thought of clearing up after their dog, which many owners can't, they should be banned from keeping dogs.

UPDATE : The motorhome with the 5 spaniels didn't leave the following morning but I did see them leaving site this evening. Yesterday evening the woman appeared up on the river bank with them and spotted us so took off in the opposite direction. Immediately one of her dogs dumped a load on the path but she was way on in front. With five dogs and one person trying to control them it's impossible for her to clean up as can be proved by the mess along the path since the cretins arrived. I've no problem with anyone owning this many dogs as long as they don't selfishly bring them to public places making others lives a misery including responsible dog owners.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
UPDATE : The motorhome with the 5 spaniels didn't leave the following morning but I did see them leaving site this evening. Yesterday evening the woman appeared up on the river bank with them and spotted us so took off in the opposite direction. Immediately one of her dogs dumped a load on the path but she was way on in front. With five dogs and one person trying to control them it's impossible for her to clean up as can be proved by the mess along the path since the cretins arrived. I've no problem with anyone owning this many dogs as long as they don't selfishly bring them to public places making others lives a misery including responsible dog owners.
LB
I hear you may be receiving a new title from HM in the New Years Honours list. Lord of Poo Patrol.
smiley-laughing.gif

I know the path very well and find this ladies neglect totally unacceptable. Tell Alison at reception. Poor old George has to cut the grass and I dread what happens when his mower hits the pile.

We all know it is only a minority of cretinous selfish dog owners so let's start mentioning their type of outfit and bits of the reg no. Ok Parksy I know the reg no is not allowed but sometimes these idiots do need a bit of a slap.
Here at Chapel Lane a bloke was walking his black lab along the grass between the pitches encouraging it to poo. I told him there is no dog walk but there is a footpath about 200 yards away which runs for a few miles around fields and Kings Norton Golf Club perimeter. I haven't seen him since . It's all about not being lazy.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
To answer the original poster's thread title, there is absolutely no need to justify taking my 2 Border Collies with me in the caravan. It is permitted in the rules and that's that. Until the rules change...........
And I don't see that they need to be on a lead in order to be under control. It's called TRAINING !!, something the vast majority of dog owners know nothing about from what I've seen. My boys are better behaved than 99% of humans, which is one of the main advantages to having a proper dog and not those silly, yappy, anklesnappers which don't have the brainpower to understand basic dog training.
As for picking up after them, well all civilised people do that, don't they??? Just like responsible horse owners do, and cat owners etc. Nobody seems to make a fuss about them though. Put it this way, those who don't are inconsiderate neanderthals, and yes, I do include those people who let their cats dump in other peoples gardens in that description.
Dom.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
UPDATE: They didn't leave last night but when we got back this evening there was no motorhome and so far they still haven't come back. This morning I found four more lots of crap, one lot immediately at the top of the bank and someone had already stepped in it.

Hi DD, as you know, this is a lovely site with nice friendly owners but I do feel they are a little lax in their rules. Nowhere do I recall seeing a sign that dogs have to be kept on a lead hence quite a few let their dogs off the lead on site. There should also be a limit to the number of dogs per outfit.
The mess isn't along the grassy bank to the left DD, it's to the right under the trees which is a blessing to the cretins because the dog crap can't be seen among the fallen leaves.
People on 10 have a Jack Russell. Not once have I seen it being taken for a walk but I do spot his bonce walking it along the hedge between his pitch and the next. The chap on 44 walks his dog on the grass next to the pitch albeit he does pick up although I believe tents sometime pitch there. Again people on pitch 9, before 10 arrived, walked their Jack Russell along the same hedge that separates the pitches.

Overall I think there's a long way to go in educating some dog owners to act responsibly because simply they don't give a stuff about rules, bye laws or what others think of them. They are certainly in the majority.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Good God, are you for real? Nothing better to do than spy on other people?
smiley-undecided.gif

You wanna be careful, I've seen some dog owners who wouldn't think twice about providing a good hard smack in the mouth, never mind leaving dog doo on the ground.
smiley-frown.gif

Yes they're inconsiderate but is it really worth getting an ulcer over?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dom Dom
my old dog
If you knew where LB was talking about you'd probably be on your own soap box!
I'm in a very bad mood at the moment and in my dead fil words I think I'm not going to tolerate fools gladly.
Not you but those selfish to$$ers who fail to consider all us other dog lovers.
I hope to be back mid next week. Never stayed the full 21 days at a CC before. It's great. The wardens kinow who you are even before you order the papers???

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
DD
I fully understand how disgusting it is, but seriously, think certain breeds (Staffie etc) and certain vans (Hobby maybe) and then think about the seagulls of the human race. Not worth getting your head stoved in over a dog turd. Move on, it's way easier.
Dom.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
And what of the dog or dogs that are not on leads and come into your van after food.

Sorry but I do not buy this ‘My boys are better behaved than 99% of humans’ Yes it is your right to take them with you and it is my right to put my boot where it hurts if they imposse on me and mine. Again I am sorry but it is concieted and arogant to even suggest leaving your dogs off the lead in a public place. These are the people when something happens that say ‘ our rover as never bitten anyone before so who would have thought it!’

Leave it off the lead and it bites me or mine, say goodbuy, it will be put down. The dogs fault…no, the concieted arogant owner….yes!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Last week in Worcester a child's pet Chihuahua dog was ripped to pieces by dogs that were supposed to be trained. These big dogs were not on a leads, but the little dog was on a lead! All dogs that are in public areas should be on a lead trained or not!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts