Please spare a thought for this very brave young man

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I became aware of this as this young man's dad has SBT's. None of us expected the devistating news that his battle is nearly over and there's no more the medics can do for him.

Please urge his beloved team on on Tuesday night.

Taken from the Liverpool FC website, this lad has received thousands of well wishes from football fans.

----------------

WHY LIAM HARKER WON'T WALK ALONE

Paul Rogers 18 April 2008

A passionate young Liverpool supporter dying of cancer was today presented with a shirt signed by his Anfield heroes on the day doctors admitted that there is nothing more they can do to save his life.

Seventeen-year-old Liam Harker from Darlington only found out he was suffering from stomach cancer six weeks ago after he was admitted to the Royal Victoria Infirmary Hospital in Newcastle. After being treated with an intensive course of radiotherapy, Liam was told on April 3 that he had beaten the cancer as the tumour had started to shrink.

Things took a serious turn for the worse the following day when Liam became very ill however. X-Rays revealed that the cancer had not only returned, it had spread throughout his body. It was at this moment that his parents were told that more radiotherapy would only help prolong his life by a matter of weeks.

Last Friday, Liam was told he had just two weeks left to live and was allowed home to die. Macmillan nurses are on hand round the clock to help him and his family at this incredibly difficult time. Upon arriving home, Liam's wish to his dad was to spend his final days in a shirt signed by the players he idolises. He also asked his dad to bury him in a Liverpool shirt when he dies as he's lived and breathed Liverpool Football Club all his life.

When news reached the club of Liam's plight, the youngster's dad was contacted and Liam was invited down to Melwood on Monday to not only pick up a signed shirt but also be taken on a tour of Melwood and meet not just the players but also Rafael Benitez.

Unfortunately, Liam was advised by doctors that he wouldn't be able to make the trip to Liverpool due to his worsening condition as even short trips between his home and the hospital in Newcastle for radiotherapy sessions take too much out of the youngster.

However, while Liam couldn't make the trip to Melwood to pick up the shirt, today one arrived special delivery at his home in the North East from Liverpool complete with the autographs of all his heroes.

The shirt and other gifts from the club arrived on the day that doctors took the decision to stop Liam's treatment as they believe his brave fight against cancer is drawing to a close.

Now Liverpool fans on the independent website Red and White Kop are desperately trying to organise a banner to display on the Kop in Liam's name in time for the Champions League semi-final against Chelsea on Tuesday night. The hope is that Liam can hang on until at least Tuesday to see the flag at home on television.

If you think you can help with the flag or would simply like to find out more about Liam Harker's brave battle, click here to visit Red and White Kop⇨

------------------

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa

What a heartbreaking situation for this young person and his family. We will be thinking about them even though we don't know them. It puts my present concerns into perspective, and if only our 'thoughts' were enough to help him.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for you kind words Chrissylizzie, it's just so so sad, there's a 'Never Walk Alone' tribute song going round for Liam. I started listening to it but had to turn it off.

Lisa xx

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
As Chrissylizzie says any problems we may think we have fade into insignificance at a time like this, may God bless this young lad, and I hope he see's the banner that is being made for him, my thoughts are with his family at this heartbreaking time.

Shiba.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Shiba

Taken off one of the websites:

---------------

Now today, a picture of the first banner has emerged. Put together by Liverpool supporter Mark Hanson from Blackwood in South Wales and his girlfriend Elaine, the flag will start out in Row 10, Block 108 of the Kop before hopefully making its way down to the front.

"I was in tears reading about Liam's story," Mark told liverpoolfc.tv today, "and when someone started the thread about banners, I said I would help if needed as I'd done a few before. A few others said they were trying to get banners done, but had problems with time.

liambannernews.jpg

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Well, not the result we wanted with an own goal right at the end.

I'd just like to say, thank you Chrissylizzie, Shiba and Parksy for your kind words.

The response about this poor young man made me think. Although I don't know him personally, something simliar to my post was posted on a bull breeds website and it has received over 600 responses and been viewed about 10,000 times. The responses from Liverpool fans on various websites has been overwhelming.

It kind of made me re-evaluate things a bit. I've always said I'm not over keen on 'dog show people' but thought that caravanners were a decent bunch.

Judging by the poor replies on here, who do I prefer? and who do I respect?

A few words of support cost nowt but apparently, too much for some.

Lisa

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
Like you I am amazed that so little thought has been shown for this brave young man, I kept going back to the post hoping to see some kind hearted wishes, but NO, sometimes I am ashamed to be part of this race they call human, I know why I prefer Animals to humans and the more and more it proves me right.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
In fairness Lisa just because someone didn't post about this boy doesn't mean they weren't thinking about him. I watched the match last night and he was the first thought that came into my mind when Chelsea equalised.

In my former job I saw hundreds of Liams and cancer in all it's forms is a dreadful disease, and although it isn't, it seems more so when it's youngsters, it is dreadful for all ages. Nobody knows how they will react if given the news that one has cancer but I think I would just give up.

Only this week I have heard of two people locally, both girls, one 14 and the other 16 who have cancer. The 14 year old has been diagnosed with bone cancer and the 16 year old with brain cancer which is now affecting her eyesight.

I don't post comments on forums saying I will pray for them because I'm not a God fearing person. If there was a God people like these wouldn't be made to suffer and there would be no wars, starvation, genocide etc. in the world.

My brother-in-law was suffering with a brain tumour which was terminal. In the meantime my father died and it took Eddie all his strength and willpower to go into the chuch at my Dads funeral. Not because he was weak but because he felt a hypocrite by praying and giving thanks to God after my fathers death, someone he was close to, and his own terminal illness.

Eddies aim was to make his 40th birthday party and he just made it.

I recall going to a local hospice to take a patient to Cheltenham for chemotherapy and on the ward I happened to mention what a lovely day it was. One of the patients told me every day is a lovely day and those words have ever since had a profound affect on me, I've never forgotten them.

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Have just read this string and wish I could have done so before. So so sad. Have beeen a patient at the RVI in newcastle myself before but luckily had very different end result. Absoloutely tragic story and I pray for him and his family.

Although I fully understand the feelings of regret voiced by LMH for the lack of replies, I am absoloutely sure many more than posted are thinking of him. Sometimes it is very hard for people to be faced with such tragedy. I almost didn't read it once I saw the topic as too difficult. People may have valid reasons, from personal experiences or just fears.

Be assured, this boy will not be forgotten.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa,

So sorry you are disappointed by our response - feel bad about it now, and I hope your can accept my genuine regret. I don't know about others, but I was aware of this tragic case before. I just didn't think to make a comment on this forum - so I have now...

It puts things in perspective, doesn't it??

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I read your post earlier this week Lisa and it made me cry. I didn't post because I didn't know what to say - what can anyone say about such a tragedy? Like Lord B, I wasn't about to start quoting God as that's just not me but I've thought about this young man a lot this week. I work in a Secondary School and have 3 boys of my own so have a lot of contact with young people. We have a boy a school facing a similar prognosis, life can be so cruel. My own mum was only 42 when she died of this terrible disease having been fobbed off by her GP for over a year that the pain in her back was a slipped disc when it was actually due to bowel cancer. Treatment has advanced so much in the last couple of decades but work is still needed when such young lives are still being lost. Let's hope a cure is just around the corner.

TRENDING THREADS