Poland/Germany

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are thinking of touring in Germany and Poland this summer. Has anyone been there and able to recommend sites or routes? Any other info will be welcome.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We visited Poland last year in June. We went from Austria to Hungary then into Slovakia before going into Poland.

We stayed just outside Krakov at a very nice site as our main ambition was to visit Auschwitz and Birkenhau. This was a sad experience but well worth the visit.

On travellling through Poland to Czech Republic and from Slovakia plus around Krakov the roads were awful all potholes and unfinished.

We were glad we visited Poland but do not wish to go back.

Germany is a different kettle of fish. We have been there nearly every year for the last 27 years and since 2003 with the caravan. It is a truly wonderful country and the roads 2nd to none.

Dianne

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
David,

Loved yoour trip and photos.

i wanted a little advice if possible.

Im taking my van abroad for the first time this August to visit relatives in Germany. The nearest big towns are the places of Speyer Hockenheim and working town of Mainheim, which looking at the route you took home is quite near to the route I would be using to get there.

Any recommendations, sites to use between the port Dunkergue and the Mainheim area would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Chris

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I live not very far from Hockenheim and have done the trip to the UK in the reverse direction many times with my caravan. It depends a bit at what time of day you get off the ferry at Dunkirk where to stay en route. Last time, because I took an afternoon crossing, I already stopped off at Camping du Waux Hall in Mons, Belgium, but I have also got as far as the Ardennes or Luxemburg before spending the night somewhere. On occasions, I have even done the whole trip without an overnight stop.

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi Lutz,

Thanks for your response.

Im due to arrive at Dunkeque around 8 am and then its the drive. I drove this route many years ago without a van and can recall it being fairly straight forward, but then i was towing and no children with me!

Im aimimg for 'Neustadt an der Weinstra

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I live not very far from Hockenheim and have done the trip to the UK in the reverse direction many times with my caravan. It depends a bit at what time of day you get off the ferry at Dunkirk where to stay en route. Last time, because I took an afternoon crossing, I already stopped off at Camping du Waux Hall in Mons, Belgium, but I have also got as far as the Ardennes or Luxemburg before spending the night somewhere. On occasions, I have even done the whole trip without an overnight stop.
You brought memories back there Lutz of Du Waux site it was one of a very fist stops from Dunkirk and it was a lovely location as well but i think it was about 3 years ago that when we arrived the place was like a bog, and what made it worse was the top end had been taken over by Traveler with their double axle and large tugs, plus they had connected up to the taps by the toilets very long hoses. They caused us no problem and we were on our way in the morning.

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
We are off to tour Poland, Germany & Austria June-Oct. Been several times to Poland in past (other half is Polish).

If you cross into Germany at Aachen and then take route that goes over towards Berlin (worth a stop as David's journal suggests) then cross into Poland at Cottbus on A15 (E36) this is a very good motorway type route apart from a stretch which is being replaced but still a pretty good "A" road down to Wroclaw and continue down via A4 to Krakow (toll road between Katowice & Krakow (cheap toll).

The CC&C recommend a camp site just south of Krakow just off the ring road called Krakowianka others in the area are on the ACSI web site. These are very close to the Tram southern terminus. Would not recommend using car as parking in Krakow is horrendous.

Krakow Wavel Castle and old square a must to see, so is the Wieliczka salt mines which actually have a catheral underground carved from rock salt (amazing place).

Off main "A" type roads are still a bit "bumpy" but improving all the time - just loads of road works to get the improvement.

You will enjoy it and well worth the trip.

TRENDING THREADS