Polishing your Caravan

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm nearly one of you [bone-fide caravan owner]! Off to pick up my yellowed (nicotine-esk-chic) 1991 caravan soon. I had just assumed some poor boy diamond white polish and a glass effect wax would sort it out but after using this as a reason to connect with my younger car-mad cousin he has suggested that he has never heard of anyone polishing a caravan before, and am I sure the paint job on a caravan can take a car polish? Well, no, I'm not sure. So here I am again looking for advice. Dya think it's ok to polish a caravan?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hope you got strong elbows you will need plenty of elbow grease :)
Last van and now this one polished twice a year end of season and start of season, didnt have to do this one for a couple of years because it was coated from new with the paintseal product...brilliant stuff.
After trying many products I have come to the conclusion the Auto-glym products are for me, others will have there preferance, happy polishing :)

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Ah! Thanks Gagakev, I've been loitering in boy racer forums and they are all going super crazy for 'Poor boy diamond white' polish for white/light coloured cars. I'm going to try that, and they keep going on about glass-effect wax (hadn't paid much attention to that but will now). I was also looking at an automatic random buffer machine for polishing, but my cousin has been a trouper and stepped in and told me not to buy it if the side of the caravan isn't flat like a car is as it won't polish it properly.

So, rather than looking like Popeye, I'm going to attempt one panel per weekend, that way I hope I won't loose the will to live whilst doing it.

Thanks again Gagakev.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Got a buffer machine but dont use it any more, it goes where it wants when it wants.
Ive got a 6 birth van and as long as you keep on top of it about four hours and bob's your uncle, all polished, but dont forget to wash it first,

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can polish it and to be fair you can use any decent car polish on the market, Like you i have used poorboys diamond white and have to say its really good stuff but has a premium price tag, I have also used Megs, Autoglym, Mer, and Cheaper stuff but prep work is what you need first, if i was doing a van of that age buy yourself a Clay bar to use on the panels after washing the van then wash again, the clay bar will clean the surface making it feel silky smooth then get yourself a half decent polish with a bit of cut in it Autoglym Super resin polish is pretty good then apply the poorboys, also consider using a nice wax after applying the poorboys to seal the paintwork.
Its hard work and a lot of people would say dont bother but it makes it easier to keep clean, meaning you just need to rinse over it, and hardly any scrubbing is needed,
I did mine last year all i have used since is Autoglym Fast shine & Lube, fantastic stuff for quickness.

By the way Welcome to the wonderful world of caravanning

John

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Funny that, I was discussing the clay bars with my cousin, it's amazing what boy-racer forums can teach you! Clay! Who'd have known?! Lol

Ok, so you've mentioned an extra step in there John. Wash. Clay - got that. Then I was going to go straight on to poor boys, hadn't realised I'd need to autoglym it as well as I thought the poor boys would do a bit of cutting? (Link to poor boys white diamond) . Then a wax - will do a bit of research into that.

Guys, what do you think to this Head light restorer? not for the lights, but for the front window which looks a bit foggy?(See link to caravan images here) Not exactly what it's primary indication is, but I'm guessing it would do a similar job? Any thoughts on this (possibly misguided) pearl of wisdom?

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
The_long_way_round said:
Funny that, I was discussing the clay bars with my cousin, it's amazing what boy-racer forums can teach you! Clay! Who'd have known?! Lol

Ok, so you've mentioned an extra step in there John. Wash. Clay - got that. Then I was going to go straight on to poor boys, hadn't realised I'd need to autoglym it as well as I thought the poor boys would do a bit of cutting? (Link to poor boys white diamond) . Then a wax - will do a bit of research into that.

Guys, what do you think to this Head light restorer? not for the lights, but for the front window which looks a bit foggy?(See link to caravan images here) Not exactly what it's primary indication is, but I'm guessing it would do a similar job? Any thoughts on this (possibly misguided) pearl of wisdom?

The super resin has a bit more cut than the poorboys, Its up to you if you use it, I am a car Valetor so these things are at my disposal lol.
The headlight restorer is a waste of money and you will be there for hours and getting nowhere. if you know someone in the trade get them to mop the windows with a machine polisher and some light cutting compound i did my old van with a machine and it tooks minute to get a near new finish, be careful not to burn the window though (keep the mop moving and dont concentrate on one area)
For the front and rear of the van use Farecla Gelcoat restorer, this can be found in chandlers and is excellent for bringing the gelcoat up.

Hope i have helped, if you want any more advice just shout up.

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Brill, thanks for the guidance on the headlight stuff.

Slightly disheartened at the extra elbow grease you have just prescribed, but I will definitely take your professional advice on this one. No point in doing a half baked job and I really want a perfect finish so I'll do it.... Might need to take a second job on or consider re-mortgaging at this rate though ;)

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Where abouts are you?, If your in Cornwall (near me) i will give you a hand, Dont mind helping a fellow caravanner clean there pride and joy.

As i said some people will say dont bother just wash it but if you want it looking the business then you need to spend some quality time (and elbow grease) on it.

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,
It may be worth mentioning here that in the trade a "Polish" has an abrasive in it and polishing a vehicle means cutting the paint to remove a thin layer of whatever it is you are "polishing".
A "Wax" does not. It is simply to impart shine and protection.
Rgds

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
You are quite right Wilbury and people make the mistake of just polishing and doing nothing else which is fine if you want to be doing it all the time but if you wax or use a sealer after you will find your enjoying your caravan rather than out polishing it all the time.
Another sealer I use is Autoglym liquid hard wax which lasts.

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Aww thanks John.... You must really LOVE your job :lol: I'm about 6 hours away from you but it was a lovely suggestion. In fact I'd already checked out where you were, because if you'd have been close I would have booked you to come and sort that front window out. X

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The information re: Autoglym polish and a good wax is sound, I use Meguiars Step 3 wax twice a year.
The important part however is the preparation, you need to shampoo and wash the caravan all over, especially the roof, or your hard work will be ruined by black streaks which will run from the dirt and road grime on the roof.
Avoid using a jet wash, this could dislodge sealant between joints. A decent hose pipe with a variable spray nozzle will do the trick. Autoglym also do Fast Glass which will clean the windows and you may see from my link that Halfords currently have a 3 for 2 offer on cleaning products which might save you a couple of quid. ;)
Sometimes caravan windows will become misted, this will usually dry out in sunlight so don't worry too much about it. Severe scratches on windows can be gently polished out with Brasso, ignore minute patina scratches or you'll drive yourself mad. :silly: Have fun

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts