poolsbrook country park & skegness sands cc sites

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
has anyone been to these sites,pics look realy nice on poolsbrook,doing 2 nights here in July this year before heading for skegness sands for 5 nights,havent seen any pics or heard horror stories,was suprised I had to put a deposit down on skegness,never done that before but wasn't a problem.any info most welcome

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I haven't stayed at Poolsbrook but did go and look at it when in the area. As you probably realise, it's a new site and due to the lack of trees very open. I would think with it being exposed it could be a bit rough in inclement weather. The site also seemed open to the surrounding footpaths etc. It seemed to lack security, a bit like Clumber where anyone can just walk in but here there didn't seem to be any fences, hedges or gates.

If I recall correctly it was last March when we looked and the site wasn't open.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I don't wish to depress you Dave but I did take a look at Skegness Sands also. I'm afraid it's not for me but probably would suit those with small children.

The reason you were asked for a deposit was because the site isn't owned by the CC.

I did check the website of Skegness Sands and on there it says take the virtual tour. What it doesn't show you is behind, it's not a 360 view. There is a tall building which I believe is an old convelescent home for miners. The view what you can't see is towards Skeggy, the thousands of statics as far as you can see.

As I said though, just up the steps onto the sea wall and there's the beach although when I was a kid in the 50s a lot of it was exposed mud.

Hope that doesn't put you off. Butlitz is just down the road and so is Skeggy which used to be a nice place although I haven't been since my kids were small.

Further up from the site there's Ingoldmells Point where we used to catch crabs when the tide was in. Just tie a stone towards the end of a ball of string for weight and tie a shrimp on the end and you'll catch them, we even caught a couple of eels that way.

I remember when we were kids my brother won the best sand castle competition :O)

If you have got kids I'm sure they will enjoy it just as we did as kids but then it was quieter without the statics.

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dave,

We live 5-6 miles from poolsbrook country park & have had the occasion to look at the park.

From what we saw of the park it looked very tidy with plenty of hard standing etc.Toilet blocks looked nice & clean too.

Have to agree with LB the site is somewhat open,having said that it's a relatively new country side park.

Not too far from the park approx 1 mile is the town of Staveley(turn left out of the park) where you will find full shopping facilitys (morrisons,chippy,post office etc)3 or 4 pubs to choose from.

There is also a newly built sports centre & swimming pool.

A short drive into chesterfield you have the famous crooked spire, thursday has the flea market where as fri/sat has the full market etc.

There is plenty of pubs offering lunches. A nice pub to visit is the Royal Oak in the Shambles where it is said that the Knights Templar stayed during their quest for the Holy Grail.

Sorry i'll not go on otherwise it will spoil your visit.

Can't help you out with skegness sands,but again would agree with LB that it is near the site of the old miners convalescent home.

Hope this has been of some use for you.

Laird Al.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
my friends have been skegness sands out of season they liked it but did say they wouldnt go high season. i personally wouldnt go because the pirches arnt big enought for my outfit.

hope this hasnt put you off.

if you had to ask me which site would i recommend in the area i would have said hawthorn farm, sutton on sea site in between mablethorpe and ingomells. its a lovely site.

have you checked the review on ukcampsite?.

jo

Jan 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Dave,

Cant help you with poolsbrook, not been yet but are tempted to give it a try, we have been to skegness sands a couple of times, and would go again, there are lots of things to do close to the site, (just depends what your interests are) weve not had a problem with pitch sizes, we also have a large t/a outfit with awning. i think it all depends on personal taste, there is a old convelescent home next door which does look run down, but if you are out and about enjoying youself, that wont be a problem. give it a try and hope you have a good time.....

Graham

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we were at Poolsbrook last spring,nice site with loads of space but it needs to "mature". there are still some sharp edges and the trees need to grow to soften it up. the park is good and you can fish the lake if you so wish. the area around is in my opinion rather plain and not inpsiring, need to travel further afield.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts