Porch Awning or not?

Jul 8, 2006
Visit site
I have just ordered a new van and contacted the maker to ask what length of porch awning I could get away with on the model I was buying.

And here is the reply.

I am unable to provide specific measurements for porch awnings as the only published figure is of the ground to ground measurement which is provided for the full awning option.

The caravan is manufactured to accommodate a full awning that is fully supported by the awning rail. The porch or combi awnings have on occasions caused damage to the rail where insufficient support has been provided for down edge of the awning.

We do not recommend the use of an accessory where the possibility of damage is recognised.

Now I had a full and porch awning for my last van, so I now wonder if the use of a porch awning is wise on a new van.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
What a load of bunkum they are talking, check out the manufacturers websites for their measurements, yes a combi like the bradcot portico XL gives a bit extra stability to the rear but no probs at all. If you have the porch from your old van try and see how it fits before you splash out on a new one

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Clive,

I have used porch awnings on all my new caravans over many years, in all kinds of winter weather conditions, with no problem, and so have many of my caravan friends.

Take a measurement from the edge of the window on one side of the door to the edge of the window on the other side of the door. This is the maximum width of porch awning which you can use and still open your windows.

If having got this measurement you think the porch awning would be too small, measure beyond one of the windows, so one window would be inside the awning.Some manufacturers do porch awnings in different widths and you may get away with one of the larger widths. Then just go on the different awning manufacturers web sites and choose which one best suits your needs. One point i would consider is, if you are going to use your porch awning in all weathers such as high winds or snow, then choose one which fits firmly against the side of the caravan.

Ones with storm straps or storm guys are worth considering.

I mention this because in the past few months i have seen two porch awnings, with poles, finish up on the roofs of the caravans. One did little damage but the other a lot of damage.Mind you having seen how poorly they were pegged out i was not surprised.

If you still have the porch awning from your previous caravan why not give it a try on your new caravan.

I would be interested to know which manufacturer gave you this information.

Hamer

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
Clive

We have an Isabella Magnum awning and purchased it on the strength of the recommendation from Isabella.

We enquired as to which awning would fit our van and found that they (Isabella) have a database of vans/awnings. This was available to view, in a printed format, at their stand at the recent NEC show.

Obviously, not all awning manufacturers will go to this level of detail and service. However, if you take the advice on the other posts, regarding measurements etc., you will not go far wrong.

As a side note, we recently spent a week at the New England Bay CC Site and it was very windy. Both the awning and van dealt with the conditions with no problems at all.

Good luck with your research and purchases.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For 2 years now we have useda cheap 3mx2.4m awning to see how we get on. It's large enough to have the table and a lounger in. So we now plan to sell the large awning and invest in a combi porch made in traditional materials. Easier to put up, less weight to tow and no need to change the awning when we change the van.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Manufacturers of caravans must be in a league of their own for silly statements.

I've been using all sorts of porch awnings for years and none have caused me concern.

"where the possibility of damage is recognised." Well Clive that's a new one on me.

Personally I'd steer clear of the very lightweights made in China. They ae fine in the sun but any wind can cause damage to the caravan sideas happened to me.

The more convential porch awnings have never caused damage and stood up very well in windy conditions.I still say you ned two people to erect them however.

So , are you are going to tell us who wrote that diatribe??

Cheers

Dustydog

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We've used a Bradcot porch awning in autumn/early spring and a full Bradcot Classic in the summer for many years and have had no problems at all.

Porch awnings are great for keeping the worst of wild weather off the door when you open it and really handy for hanging up wet weather gear, boots etc., we always hang our bath towels and tea towels in it to dry when we go out for the day.

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
is the height not an important factor, from the rail to ground !! not all vans are the same height
I agree with all the other posts regarding stability in wind. Athough I once pitched on soft ground and I came back to find my awning flapping about. Had no trouble on Hard Standings, but tend to use a tie down kit in windy weather just to be sure.

I have a Harrison Supreme awning which has 3 detachable panels like a full awning and it is much easier to erect and put away. It is similar to an Isabella Magnum at half the price, but obviously not up to the same standard of manufacture.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts