Porch Awning Sizes - confused

Mar 25, 2006
Visit site
We are awaiting delivery of a new Senator Carolina together with a full-size walker awning. I am after a porch awning for weekends but don't know what to get. Most light weight "dome tent" style awnings only seem to be for caravans with a height of 240 - 255ish cm but my senator brochure gives an overall height of 271cm. Am I looking at the wrong measurement because I can't seem to find any porch style awnings with a greater height!....any ideas? By the way, are walker awnings any good - had never heard of them until last week!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brad, you will probably find that the measurement given for your caravan includes the extra height of the Status aerial. You should be able to find the total without, somewhere in your owner's manual. Most porch awnings will fit your van just fine.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The overall shipping height of a caravan is irrelevant to the porch height.

Porch awnings often come in three heights - 7'0", 7'6" and 8'0" - - the lower sizes were applicable to the now obsolete boat roof caravans of the '80s.

Flat roofed caravans, like the Senator, generally need the 8'0" size but be a little wary - caravan awning rail heights have gradually increased over the years because of larger diameter tyres and wheels but porches haven't kept pace.

Measure the height of your awning channel from the ground when the caravan is sitting on it's wheels normally. Measure it by the wheel to avoid the effect of any sloping ground.

NR Awnings have 3 different sizes of porch, all good value, but there are many others at different price points above and below NR's pricing.

Mar 12, 2006
Visit site
Hiya Brad we have a Carolina have had it since October, best thing we ever did there's ususally 4 of us and loads of room, too many cupboards to fill!!! We have an easy porch - porch awning plenty of room but needs to be on level ground or it doesn't sit right. Cannot help you with the walker awning as not heard of them!!!! What are you towing your van with? We have mitsubishi pajero. Hope you like it when you get it!!!

Mar 25, 2006
Visit site
Hiya Brad we have a Carolina have had it since October, best thing we ever did there's ususally 4 of us and loads of room, too many cupboards to fill!!! We have an easy porch - porch awning plenty of room but needs to be on level ground or it doesn't sit right. Cannot help you with the walker awning as not heard of them!!!! What are you towing your van with? We have mitsubishi pajero. Hope you like it when you get it!!!
Sounds great Martin! We are a family of 4 (at the moment)and are looking forward to the extra room. My wife is wanting us to fill all the beds I think, so cupboards will follow I'm sure. We have a LR Disco TD5 as a tow car but, can I ask, ss there much of a difference towing a twin axle?

Mar 12, 2006
Visit site
Sounds great Martin! We are a family of 4 (at the moment)and are looking forward to the extra room. My wife is wanting us to fill all the beds I think, so cupboards will follow I'm sure. We have a LR Disco TD5 as a tow car but, can I ask, ss there much of a difference towing a twin axle?
They are definately more stable than a single axle, we noticed a difference as we only had a firestorm 505 and was a lot lighter but the difference hasn't been a problem - not yet anyway!!! I'm an HGV driver so not much difference between that and wagon!! Except I worry more when I tow the van as it's mine!! We had an electirc socket fit at the back of the van underneath the bunks as there is no electric socket at the back of the van. The alko wheel locks can be a bit of a pain as van needs to be jacked up to line the wheels up but look much better than the big wheel clamps. Otherwise cannot rate it high enough if you need any help feel free to ask and we will be pleased to help you if we can.

Mar 25, 2006
Visit site
They are definately more stable than a single axle, we noticed a difference as we only had a firestorm 505 and was a lot lighter but the difference hasn't been a problem - not yet anyway!!! I'm an HGV driver so not much difference between that and wagon!! Except I worry more when I tow the van as it's mine!! We had an electirc socket fit at the back of the van underneath the bunks as there is no electric socket at the back of the van. The alko wheel locks can be a bit of a pain as van needs to be jacked up to line the wheels up but look much better than the big wheel clamps. Otherwise cannot rate it high enough if you need any help feel free to ask and we will be pleased to help you if we can.
Thanks martin. We are all getting excited now. We collect our van on 8th April and are going away on the 9th. I'll let you know how we get on!

Mar 12, 2006
Visit site
Thanks martin. We are all getting excited now. We collect our van on 8th April and are going away on the 9th. I'll let you know how we get on!
Brad

Hope everything goes ok for you and you enjoy it, are you away for a week or just a few days? Where are you going? We are away in ours for Easter we are going to Meathorp Fell. Cannot wait for July as down Devon for 2 whole weeks, yeah!!! This may well be where all the room comes into use.

Mar 25, 2006
Visit site
Brad

Hope everything goes ok for you and you enjoy it, are you away for a week or just a few days? Where are you going? We are away in ours for Easter we are going to Meathorp Fell. Cannot wait for July as down Devon for 2 whole weeks, yeah!!! This may well be where all the room comes into use.
Hi martin. We are going to Knaresborough for 4 nights the week before easter just to try things out. If all goes well, we are going away for the 2nd week too...not sure where though! We are in Devon for 2 weeks in summer too - where are you going? We are staying at the cc Hillhead site.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts