porch awnings

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Now I'm in a dilema off to europe with the OH and daughter,son-in-law and 2 grand children in a 4 berth...don't compute.So being as I got full awning but not putting it up on stop overs for one night thought of a porch awning.Two reasons one for stopovers but when we get to destination put the full awning up and put the porch one on the rear of caravan as extra bedroom. So here the question ....simple good idea or not? If not any suggestions please

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi we are new to caravanning as a couple (I have caravanned a lot before but not my partner)I had to convince him of the benefits of a porch awning. We got a good one on ebay (searched by nearest to home) and the reason it appealed to me so much was because the front zips off to make it into a sun canopy (when we have some hot weather)

It is a Bradcot Portico with easy poles, despite never having erected one before we managed to quite easily (although it was rainy and windy at the time)

Porch awnings are quite spacious, easy to put up and take down and give you lots of extra benefits.

Go to a good dealer where you can see them "up" and judge for yourself.

D

G

Think he means on the op side of the van to the door, putting up a porch can take longer than a full depending on the size, wouldn't bother for one night, how about pup tent? can two sleep in the car on airbeds?

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Ian what size of pitch do you think you have 25 ft wide don,t think you will have enough room ie porch awning then caravan then full awning then car dont think you will get away with that for fire reasons to close to next setup ???

cheers Duggie

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Ian what size of pitch do you think you have 25 ft wide don,t think you will have enough room ie porch awning then caravan then full awning then car dont think you will get away with that for fire reasons to close to next setup ???

cheers Duggie
Duggie i'm going to put full awning on front and porch on back with porch awning acting only as extra sleeping room

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Get the right porch awning and they are much much easier to erect than a full awning. Takes me over an hour to erect my full awning. Takes 10 minutes to erect my porch.

However I don't really think a porch awning is suitable for sleeping in. They are not fully weather proof due to not being sealed to the caravan at the sides. I use the porch for short stays (ie weekends) as a place to sit outside shaded by the sun and the odd shower. The porch is more water proof than my Dorema full awning as it is made of proofed nylon (ie modern tent material) rather than canvas (ie 1920s tent material), but due to the sides not fixing to the caravan, water can be blown in at the sides if it is wet and windy.

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Get the right porch awning and they are much much easier to erect than a full awning. Takes me over an hour to erect my full awning. Takes 10 minutes to erect my porch.

However I don't really think a porch awning is suitable for sleeping in. They are not fully weather proof due to not being sealed to the caravan at the sides. I use the porch for short stays (ie weekends) as a place to sit outside shaded by the sun and the odd shower. The porch is more water proof than my Dorema full awning as it is made of proofed nylon (ie modern tent material) rather than canvas (ie 1920s tent material), but due to the sides not fixing to the caravan, water can be blown in at the sides if it is wet and windy.
See your point but we hoping that down in Spain rain won't come into the equation.We will use it the rest of year as it will only be me and the OH and be easier than putting up full awning.

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi

second suggestion is a quick erect two man tent. faster than an awning, just throw it in the air it erects itself. peg it down.

and the kids can now sleep OVER THERE.

geo

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
Duggie i'm going to put full awning on front and porch on back with porch awning acting only as extra sleeping room
HI! Ian still dont, understand unless i,m missing something you have an awning rail at either side of your van o.k got that but how do you get your porch awning to stay against the rear of your van unless it has an awning rail at the rear anyway good luck and have a great holliday whatever you do i,m sure you will get something sorted out .cheers Duggie

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
How big is your porch awning. Just come back from weekend away. We have a throw up tent and we put it up in the porch awning (like an inner tent). Child happy and warm enough. Easy to take down in the morning and chuck in the back of the car. Awning is a Techlite 1 and the tent a two man job from decathlon. Fits well enough.

mel

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site

Many porch awnings have an optional inner tent which overcomes the issue of the awning not being sealed at the caravan sides. They are suspended inside the awning to provide an inner tent the same as in most modern tents. Our Kampa Rally 390 has one as do the Sunncamp tunnel type awnings. Usually about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts