portable washing machines

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi Has anyone used a portable washing machine whilst away camping. We are a family with three little ones and found we spent a fortune on using the washing machines in france last summer. When you are away for 3 or 4 weeks and the washs are 5 euros a go it mounts up and I was wondering whether it was worth investing in one. Any advice appreciated. Thankyou.

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
I have a twin tub also and find in invaluable when you have kids. My son is a muck magnet and when away for longer than a few nights I would have so much washing when I would get home. the twin tub takes a bit if time but at least you can do it in the comfort of your own van and a hell of a lot cheaper!

G

I was all heart with my dearest. I bought her a washboard.

Actually seriously this was in the days before any thought of camping washing machines and she herself suggested it, as she found that doing a little daily kept the pile down, with 2 small kids. Plus, as everyone else was doing the same, she spent some of the time getting daughter, and son, to help rinsing and wringing, and chatting to the other campers. In the sun she felt it was not such a big deal. Now bedding, yes, but then we use the launderette.

It sounds a good idea as long as you have space to carry it.

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
ive had a compact portable twin tub for 5 years now love it use it every weekend as we are seasonal.my sons incontinent so i have double sheets to wash and it manages them well, about 5/6 washes a weekend.

we have a wee shed at the back of the van with a compact tumble drier in it.,LOL

myra

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Thankyou everyone. I think I will be getting one, even doing a liitle each day will keep the mountain of washing down. I have seent the 1.5 kg on ebay for about

G

Just one other comment. I do not know how much water they use, but of course everything that goes in has to be disposed off. So if you get a fully serviced pitch then you will have it easy, otherwise, get the kids to fetch the water and remove the waste. It is their clothes after all.

Mind you our kids always just wore shorts and T shirts which were thin and easy.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
when we stayed in Spain ,we just took the potable machine over to the washblock on a trolley ,we had all the hot and cold water we needed ,

G

I had thought of that but also thought the site owners might not be too pleased, especially if they supply machines themselves. They do like to make a little extra cash.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Most of the sites we stay at have laundry facilities but it can work out pretty costly so I was thinking of getting one of these.

I've seen the twin tub one for

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
I have the twin tub one and i wouldn,t be without it. We are 3 adults and it can cope easily with our clothes. The spinner is excellent to. I bought mine from discover Delemere about 3 yrs ago paid 68pounds for it think it now

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I have the twin tub one and i wouldn,t be without it. We are 3 adults and it can cope easily with our clothes. The spinner is excellent to. I bought mine from discover Delemere about 3 yrs ago paid 68pounds for it think it now

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Just had a look on Ebay and there are quite a few of the twin tub models for sale. Might try my luck and see if I can win one of the auctions.

We spent a fortune last year when we went away on laundry fees so this will hopefully save us a few quid. Only problem is we would have to heat up a kettle for hot water as the water heater doesnt work, but it will still be cheaper than the on site laundry costs.

Sarah

G

Looking at the gender of the majority of posters it is good (from a male perspective) to see that caravanners still believe in the correct?? disbursement of the chores.

I do offer to carry the washing bucket to the laundry and can even be persuaded to bring it back, when done. However, the actual process is beyond my technical skills (or at least I maintain that) and i really need to sit back with a cold beer.

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
Looking at the gender of the majority of posters it is good (from a male perspective) to see that caravanners still believe in the correct?? disbursement of the chores.

I do offer to carry the washing bucket to the laundry and can even be persuaded to bring it back, when done. However, the actual process is beyond my technical skills (or at least I maintain that) and i really need to sit back with a cold beer.
Hello Elizabeth,

When you say a compact tumble drier do you mean a small table top drier, that would be ideal in the awning now we are seasonal. Looked on ebay but they are mostly full size ones. Do you know where I can buy the small table top drier from.

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
erica,

yes it is the table top one i mean, i find it so handy as we can leave clothes sheets etc at the van that are freshly laundered also its great for wet days jackets and shower towels.

myra

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
We do long trips (3-4 months) so find the twin tub saves us a lot on laundry. In France we found even a standard load machine cost 4-5 euros to use. And the drying was even more expensive.

You can save a lot by line drying, but our little airer cannot cope with a full machine load at once.

By doing a small wash every 2 or 3 days we found we could easily get the clothes dry. The wee spinner is very good.

We do need to use the site machines for our double duvet cover and large towels, so fill it up with whatever else we have to make a full load.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site

Aye, my husband is (genuinely) baffled by the washing machine too. Must be a man thing! He is equally as daft when it comes to setting the central heating clock, but a dab hand at repairing things.

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have just bought 1 of the Maplin ones and it was delivered yesterday.

I gave it a try and was pleasantly suprised by it,

It takes about 1/2 a load compared to a normal machine.

The instructions were rubbish, so I gave it a try. Filled up with clothes, water and powder and switched it on , 15 minute wash cycle, I then drained out water and refilled with clean water to rinse, did this twice. At the end I had a clean wash.

No Spin cycle so clothes were soaking wet otherwise just the job.

Stephen.

TRENDING THREADS