Possible costly mistake

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I put the van back into storage last week and today went to collect a few items we had left in the van.
There is an icicle about 1 inch long hanging from the kitchen tap even though I had drained as much as I could. I had forgotten to leave the tap open which I normally do in the winter, possibly because it was so warm and I did not give cold weather a thougth.
i just hope that when it thaws the tap is ok as about 6 years ago I had to replace a tap due to frost even though I had left the tap open. We are not away again until the begining of March so I have time to test the tap before we go away again, provided it thaws

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If the ice has managed to shove itself out of the tap opening, it may be that it has not expanded sideways and split a joint. Keep your fingers crossed.
Mel

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
oh dear Mike, hope you dont have to change the tap, one of the reasons I use the Floe, yes agreed it's not that cheap but maybe cheaper than a new tap, others on here have made there own a lot cheaper.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
MichaelE said:
If he forgot to open the tap then the Floe system wouldn't have made any difference?

Dont think there would have been any water in there to freeze, and of course when using the floe you open the tap to release the water ;)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Exactly ?If he had remembered to leave the tap open it wouldn't drained the tap and wouldn't have frozen, so the Floe system wouldn't be needed?
I have used the system as i wondered what all the hype was about, i drained down as i normally do and used the system and only recovered a 1/4 cup of water from the bathroom tap but spent 1/2 hr to achieve this.I really couldn't see the need for one?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the tap was closed then either it has been closed after draining or opening was forgotten.
When draining once it appears done I blow down the taps to clear any last drops from the valve which touch wood has worked so far. I find the best time to do this is just before leaving the site and then leave the drain valve open. This should allow the movement of the caravan on the way home to clear any last drops of water.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts