Possible gas leak

Jul 1, 2019
Visit site
Hi all I have my sons caravan at home for the winter today thought I would run the gas to keep things working. In the locker it’s got a manual switch over device so you can change between the 2 bottles .last week one of the bottles said quarter full lite the fire and it went out the bottle was empty. Switched over to the new bottle lite fire all ok went back to the locker showing full on gauge but I could here a slight hissing sound coming from the gauge area should it do that I could not smell gas many thanks darren

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
IF YOU SUSPECT YOU MAY HAVE A GAS LEAK TURN OFF ALL BOTTLES AND CALL IN THE EXPERTS.

However some regulators can make an audible noise when delivering gas, SO turn off all the appliances so no gas is being used. if the noise stops, then its probably the regulator doing its job. If the noise continues follow my leading advice.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Pond01 said:
Hi yes I could hear the clicking and it lit

As far as a possible gas leak is concerned the above is of no consequence whatsoever and proves absolutely nothing, apart from the fire lit!

Unless you have positively proven that there is no gas leakage then caution is the most important thing, and if you don't know how, or have the equipment to test the gas supply, then professional help is the safest way forward.
You only have to look at the picture in the topic in General about a camper van fire to see the reason for caution !!!!!!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Dont mess about. As has been said, call in the experts. And on that note Calor have an emergency call out team. I have had to use them myself once and they were truly excellent. We suspected a leak at 1900hrs, and we were due to leave for Scotland in the early hours of the following morning. They arrived within an hour and checked the bottles and the whole van. They even left me with a leak detecting gel that they use.
03457 444 999

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You can check for a leak by covering the suspect area in soap bubbles. You can then see if there is a problem, but Calor Gas does have a strong smell.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
For convenience, you can buy gas leak detector spray in loads of places - Screwfix, B&Q, Wickes etc. Keep in the front locker then its always on hand.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Detecting a leak is the easy bit, knowing how to deal with it correctly and safely is another. Simply adding another turn on a compression nut is not always the correct solution.

If you are not sure what you are doing, its best to find some one who is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts