Post-Break Rigmarole

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
thosoneill said:
I open the bed lockers and all cupboards to let air circulate - I also pull the upholstery away from the walls to aid air circulation

Same here the interior looks like an explosion in a DFS store.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
I always give the toilet another rinse out when I get home, just to make sure, using a dash of washing up liquid.

Not sure when we'll be able to get away in the van again, but not sure what the best practice is for the cassette.... clean out and leave blade open or keep some fluid in there?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
DaveA1 said:
I always give the toilet another rinse out when I get home, just to make sure, using a dash of washing up liquid.

Not sure when we'll be able to get away in the van again, but not sure what the best practice is for the cassette.... clean out and leave blade open or keep some fluid in there?

I rinse out and add a small amount of water and fluid (1 litre) but don’t close the valve totally shut. I close it until it just meets that extra resistance that is required for a full closure seal.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
CustardAvenger said:
DaveA1 said:

I rinse out and add a small amount of water and fluid (1 litre) but don’t close the valve totally shut. I close it until it just meets that extra resistance that is required for a full closure seal.

Do you tip this down the toilet before your next trip? I don't have the luxury? of an outside toilet so would have to be deposited down the bathroom one.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Do you tip this down the toilet before your next trip? I don't have the luxury? of an outside toilet so would have to be deposited down the bathroom one.

Rarely have to do this as we also clean down properly on site, but on the odd occasion its been used on the way home, i just lift the manhole cover and tip straight down into the sewage pipe.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
otherclive said:
CustardAvenger said:
DaveA1 said:

The only fluid in the cassette is mains water plus some toilet fluid. There’s no problem emptying it in a household toilet. After all isn’t that what it is designed for. Most times though it stays there for the next trip out in case we need a toilet stop en route. Of course in winter the cassette and flush tank are both drained to reduce any frost damage risks.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Thingy said:

Rarely have to do this as we also clean down properly on site, but on the odd occasion its been used on the way home, i just lift the manhole cover and tip straight down into the sewage pipe.

That was my usual routine, but I was feeling pretty rotten when I left the last site, so was not particularly thorough with the cleaning of the tank; wanted to get it clean for a prolonged period of storage; will get some lifting keys for the man hole cover.

otherclive said:
The only fluid in the cassette is mains water plus some toilet fluid. There’s no problem emptying it in a household toilet. After all isn’t that what it is designed for. Most times though it stays there for the next trip out in case we need a toilet stop en route. Of course in winter the cassette and flush tank are both drained to reduce any frost damage risks.

Had to use the cassette toilet in a layby next to Loch Ness due to a lack of caravan friendly areas near toilets. Had not left any fluid in the tank for this eventuality; the smell of the layby suggested I needn't have bothered.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Thingy said:

That was my usual routine, but I was feeling pretty rotten when I left the last site, so was not particularly thorough with the cleaning of the tank; wanted to get it clean for a prolonged period of storage; will get some lifting keys for the man hole cover.

otherclive said:

Had to use the cassette toilet in a layby next to Loch Ness due to a lack of caravan friendly areas near toilets. Had not left any fluid in the tank for this eventuality; the smell of the layby suggested I needn't have bothered.

Eau d’urine seems to be the prevailing fragrance at most lay-bys and far too many motorway services too. Hope you have better luck lifting the cover than me. One has a granite sink flower trough on top, the other is in deep block paving and I would need to lift a good number of blocks out to have any chance of lifting it with keys.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Our toilet blade is always open for access if we pull in over lay-bys last minute anyway , we learnt this when we went through to France the first time , the amount of queuing that is for the toilet in service areas is unbelievable , since then the toilet is always accessible as for emptying it , home toilet not a problem .
Whenever caravan comes home it gets a good clean and goes back out showroom condition smelling fresh.
I leave a touch of blue with touch of water in the cassette ready for use with it open in bathroom a bit . :blink:

May 24, 2014
Visit site
You do realise only the English will queue for the loos in France. The French will do it anywhere.

It reminds me of my trucking days, one day at Sommesous Services in France, a mate and I were brewing up in one of the cabs. Boiling hot day, we had the front curtain almost closed to keep the sun out and the side windows wide open for the through draft. Clearly able to see through the half drawn curtains a British plated BMW hutrled in like a lunatic and out jumps the drivers wife in some haste, rather pretty too we of course observed. Using that very odd walk that people do when they are desperate, she set off for the services and realising she prob wouldnt make it turned left and headed straight for us. Straight to the front of the cab she went and bobbed down, using the rad grille for a hand hold. I was just about to make a comment on the cheek of it when my mate says "give her a minute to be sure".
A few seconds later, Geordie John gave her such a blast from the air horns.

What language, and from an English lady too. :lol:

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ha class ! the buses I drive have air horns and I to have witnessed some choice language when I blast the horn at some people for some reason ! :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts