Posted in new members

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
This is a guess, but at the top of the forum just a or your avatar are a series of tabs. One of them is " new topic" The tabs are there regardless of which Category you are posting in. If you press the "new topic" tab from this top array, your post end up in new members.
If you want to get it into a different category, then open the catagory and tap the much smaller new topic words under the catagory heading.
I suspect your topics are moved by our lovely mods.

On the other hand you may be doing it all correctly and there are gremlins loose in the works. :cheer:
Mel

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
If I happen to spot say, a technical post, and it appeared in new members I quite possibly moved it and also any replies to it. Damian probably does the same. :)

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Parksy said:
If I happen to spot say, a technical post, and it appeared in new members I quite possibly moved it and also any replies to it. Damian probably does the same. :)

Yes, I do that regularly.
There is nothing more annoying than all kinds of posts appearing in the New Members section simply because users cannot be bothered to put it in the appropriate section, where if it is a tech question it would probably get more answers.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
To be fair Damian, I don't think it is always a case of can't be bothered. The "new topic" tab is a large tab above the avatar and more obvious than the "new topic words"under the Category heading. I think folks can be forgiven for hitting the large tab when they have say the General or Technical Category open in the mistaken belief that the new topic post will end up in the Category you have open. Of course if you hit the large tab above your avatar the topic ends up in new members. Really the design of the web page encourages user error.
Mel

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry, I don't really get that.
If you click on the New Topic tab at the top of the page , when the dialogue box comes up, directly above Subject is where the topic will be headed for, and in the case of hitting the large New Topic tab it clearly states New Members - Say Hello.

There is a drop down box that can be used to direct the topic to the right place though, click the down arrow just to the right of Subject.

Whereas if one goes to the category you intend to post to, such as Technical, the dialogue box automatically puts the post in the right place if one clicks +New Topic

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
...Whereas if one goes to the category you intend to post to, such as Technical, the dialogue box automatically puts the post in the right place if one clicks +New Topic

I have just tested that suggestion in this section, and the no, it doesn't preselect the current section, it defaults to New Member's. I don't know but it may depend on what system you are using, in my case its WIN 10 in Chrome.

It's something the new owners may want to look at.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am guessing that you clicked on the last posting of mine when you replied instead of clicking on the main section name on the left of the topics boxes named Our Website.

If you click on the last post the +New Topic does not come up.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm with Mel on this one!

It's not intuitive to click on a very small "button" labelled "+New Topic" when requiring a New Topic when there is a very large Tab at the top of the page, clearly labelled, "New Topic" prominently displayed.

The web master should be alive to this sort of thing, it's a simple job to make the link point to the correct area.... it should not be necessary to attempt to guess the webmaster's intentions by looking for a tiny button
(as opposed to a large Tab) and remembering (if one ever knew,) that "New topic" without a tiny "+" sign in front of it may not lead to the post being placed in the intended sub forum.

Just my two pennyworth and as always Happy Caravanning to all, and enjoy this wonderful weather!
Regards
paws

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've been caught out myself with topics of mine appearing on the New Members message board.
When I look at this forum I simply click on the recent topic tab to check that all is well and that spammers haven't penetrated the electronic anti spam measures.
If I add a topic like most others I just click on the appropriate tab and if I remember I check which message board it's going on when I've written my post.
If a new topic inadvertently appears on the New Members message board it's not the end of the world, if we notice it we'll simply move it.
It's more important to keep this forum alive by using it to ask and to answer questions etc; than to worry too much about something appearing on the wrong message board in error.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts