Pothole Damage

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The chap next to me suffered a broken front suspension spring today courtesy of a Herefordshire road pothole.
Ignoring politics I can say the overall condition of our B roads is disgraceful. If you suffer such damage, take photographs of the pothole and damage. Get a repair quotation asap, making sure it honestly describes the damage as caused by a pothole impact. Write a sign for letter to the responsible County Council holding them liable.
Sadly our Councils do not have the money to pay for most of the repairs ,finding it cheaper to pay for the damage :( .
Motorcyclists, please be very careful B)

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Fully in agreement with what Dustydog said.

I have never seen the roads in Scotland in such poor condition.

After two significant incidents, I now inform the police of the danger (significantly deep potholes only), that way I not only have photographs but a police reference, must say that the police have been very proactive in following up my calls, in one case they called the local council repairs department, and in one instance gave me a follow up call to ask how efficiently they had responded to my report.

On the one hand I am despondent as to the state of our roads, on the other hand, the police appear to take the matter seriously ; not an ideal situation, but some positive's nonetheless.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The sheer amount of traffic on our roads and the condition that those roads have deteriorated into means that it is highly unlikely the councils will catch up.

What needs to be done is to stop service agencies digging up new roads a week after they have been laid, except for emergencies. But planned works should be co-ordinated.

Its a matter of dismay when travelling in so called poorer countires that their road surfacing is far smoother than ours. I find Frances back roads equally as bad as ours.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The surface condition of some of our roads is deplorable, and most are poor. I have a close friend who works for a county council roads department , and he tells me they council had a budget of £5M for repairs exluding scheduled refurbishment schemems, but to date they had £20M pounds worth of repairs notified on their books, and the gap is widening.

It always amazes me ho long it takes resurface a road especially having witnessed a scheme in BC Canada just outside Chetwynde. One morning at about 11 am we were travelling SouthWest with some Canadian relatives towards the town on a single carriage way road, when we came upon some stopped cars just by a road works stop sign. This was some 100 metres before the first evidence of road works equipment, but not a workman in sight. The drivers in front had got out of their cars and were talking to each other, as we pulled up a couple of cars behind us also stopped and their drivers got out, It was almost becoming a bit of party.

I asked what going on, and my sister in law said the road s being resurfaced. We waited about another 10 mins, and pick up truck with amber lights cold just be seen coming to wards us through the road works. As it approached all the drivers got back into their cars. The truck pulled into a clearing just ahead of our queue, and as it did so a column of perhaps 40 vehicles followed it through and went on their way past us.
Meanwhile the truck turned round waited for the opposing vehicles to clear the section and set off back into the road works and our column followed. We were doing about 60Kph in convoy.

We followed the truck for about 9km, and near the end of the restricted section we came across the repair team who were working on the other side of the road and moving towards us at clearly quite a pace. In a matter of 100 meters they were lifting at least 100mm depth of old surface, breaking it up adding new bitumen and some aggregate relaying, rolling it, sealing the seams and painting the white lines in one continuous process along one half of the carriage way.

When we returned from Chetwynde some 14 hours later the road was clear, no equipment left on the road it was parked up in the lay by where we have been stopped on our journey in. The half carriage way had been fully completed within the day, and my Sil told me they'd probably do the other half tomorrow.

No fuss, they just got on with it, Only portable stop and go signs, no forests of cones ( just a few around the stopping points. Because the traffic was controlled by a convoy truck there was no silly driving and it it all seemed to work impressively well.

I know its not a fair comparison because the road did not have many drains or other iron works to be reset, but its clear indication of what can be done if the circumstances will allow it. It would be potential solution for some of our major roads and motorways.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree the roads everywhere I have been have been a disgrace. A council officialoldme the backlog is that bad that it is cheaper to pay claims than do a full repair.
I have seen the convoy system in use over hear and agree it did work well.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ive seen the convoy system being used in UK. When I lived in Canada they were working the same system as described by Prof. Used a lot of students as casual labour during the summer. the road has to stay open especially the rural ones as detours can add a lot of extra miles, if in fact a detour is feasible. Out of cities salt isn't used much if at all, and in very cold dry places such as Calgary/Alberta/Ontario etc salt isn't used at all as it is not effective at Canadian winter temperatures. Their roads also don't carry the volume of traffic that ours do so wear and tear isn't as pronounced, but they do get frost heave.

But UK is quite capable of mending roads quickly as a couple of years ago a long stretch of the A429 Fosse Way north of Cirencester was closed for 2-3 days and completely refurbished. Thos who travel by M-ways at night will be aware of the ongoing roadworks through the night too. So it can be done, it is the lack of money that is the problem.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The latest published figures state our Local Authorities are £565 million short to cover our road repairs. :( .
Austerity gone bonkers :woohoo:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
The latest published figures state our Local Authorities are £565 million short to cover our road repairs. :( .
Austerity gone bonkers :woohoo:

I suspect that even if the chancellor opened his cheque book an gave the authorities all teh money they needed to repair the entire road system it would take at least a decade, as the human and equipment resources are no longer there.

There can be no doubt that the problem is getting worse and its down the policies of central government.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Prof,
This does cause me some concern.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5474997/Potholes-leave-400-cyclists-dead-maimed-decade.html

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
It is very concerning as well as driving and trying to dodge a potholes I also cycle to and from work 5o% cycle path which is full of crap thrown up off the road by the cars and 5o% or so on the road which like that news report says haven't to dodge potholes is ridiculous & dangerous as if it's not bad enough already with some of the idiots on the road anyway ! :(

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
We have just towed up from Gloucester to Ledbury and on past Leominster on the A417. I think i would have been better off going over the fields, the condition of the roads is disgusting. It was so bad it activated the ATC on 2 occasions. We then spent a week driving round Wales on their billiard tables!!! How come they can afford to keep their roads in good condition and we can't.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
thedoog1 said:
We have just towed up from Gloucester to Ledbury and on past Leominster on the A417. I think i would have been better off going over the fields, the condition of the roads is disgusting. It was so bad it activated the ATC on 2 occasions. We then spent a week driving round Wales on their billiard tables!!! How come they can afford to keep their roads in good condition and we can't.

We took that route and on towards Ludlow and Bridgnorth and it got worse after Leominster. Even tried an alternative one on the way back but that too wasn't much better. Potholes (left and center) and sunken verges. Must put extra strain on the caravan as their suspension isn't as sophisticated as a car's.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
We were staying at New Radnor,when we came home today i went Builth Wells,Abergavenny then A40,M4 the roads were in good condition the whole way.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
T doog , I cant believe your ATC kicked on country lanes, on the caravan unless mines faulty! I had mine kick in on the motorway at about 60 mph as I passed a HGV and the caravan brakes came on and slowed us to 50 mph. . My fault for getting to close to the HGV.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
thedoog1 said:

We took that route and on towards Ludlow and Bridgnorth and it got worse after Leominster. Even tried an alternative one on the way back but that too wasn't much better. Potholes (left and center) and sunken verges. Must put extra strain on the caravan as their suspension isn't as sophisticated as a car's.

Clive, One mile from Wheathill heading towards Bridgnorth was the biggest pot hole ever. Numerous people had broken springs including an elderly couple in a mini.
Whilst there the other week I reported the issue to Shropshire Council. Never heard any more. That whole road from Ludlow to Bridgnorth is a car / caravan breaker.
Herefordshire wasn’t much better. The road from Peterchurch to Hay On Wye is a disgrace.
As I said before ,sadly, our Local Authorities cannot afford the repairs due to years of austerity .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
otherclive said:
thedoog1 said:

Clive, One mile from Wheathill heading towards Bridgnorth was the biggest pot hole ever. Numerous people had broken springs including an elderly couple in a mini.
Whilst there the other week I reported the issue to Shropshire Council. Never heard any more. That whole road from Ludlow to Bridgnorth is a car / caravan breaker.
Herefordshire wasn’t much better. The road from Peterchurch to Hay On Wye is a disgrace.
As I said before ,sadly, our Local Authorities cannot afford the repairs due to years of austerity .

Dusty
Totally agree that the roads in that area are appalling you spend far too much time looking out for potholes and in too many areas they are unavoidable as they span the carriageway. Fortunately after your warning we missed that big one just north of Wheathill. The heavy mist helped as it slowed everything down a bit too:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts