Powrtouch Mover maintenance

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
The instructions with my Powrtouch mover state that it should be washed periodically then re-greased.

Cleaning and greasing should also be carried out at least every 6 months.

I cannot see any obvious greasing points (nipples etc.) and wondered how other 'vanners maintained their motor movers.

Regards,

Ron.

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Ron,

I think they mean wash all the road residue off and wipe dry, then spray all over with a proprietary grease. As for carrying out this task every 6 months, I would do it October and March/April.

I have had a Powrtouch mover for 3yrs, but have yet to find it dirty enough to warrant cleaning,

best regards, Martin

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Washing is advised especially in winter months when salt is used on the roads, but also whenever the van is going to be out of use for any period of time.

Lubrication is to the moving parts only, with the exception of the rollers.

So, the sliding cradle the motors sit on , the cam mechanism if you have manual engagement and the springs.

Best to use Motorcycle chain oil on the motor sliders as it creeps into the hard to get places and does not wash off very easily.

Do NOT use WD40 as the lubricant, it is not any good for this application.

G

If you visit one of the Shows Powrtouch often sell grease suitable for their equipment, and it is usually at a discounted price. OK, I am sure there are equally good products out there, but I try to support the manufacturers, even in a very small way. Plus at Shows I am always a sucker.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know that I am a bit late in answering Ron question, I agree with Damian Every spring I degrease the moving parts ie the slider and Spray into the gao motorcycle chain lubricant, it comes out in liquid form and quicky turns into a candle wax type lubricant, use this on my last powertouch mover which I had for 6 + years , on our newer van bought a brand new powertouch reason it can handle up to 1500 kg previous model 1200 kg.

Royston

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ron greatly appreciate your comments , just been into the garage to get the can, its called

Putoline DX 11 synthetic racing chain lube, it has its own small nozzle so that you can direct the spray.

royston

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I had a powertouch engineer replace a part last month and he used WD40 and suggested that the rollers were cleaned on a regular basis and WD40 was used to lubricate the moving parts

the use of WD40 seems to contradict previous postings

any one any ideas ?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Michael, I got my information on my first powertouch motor mover some 7 yers ago from a powertouch engineer, there no smell with the lubicant that I have put forward, and it does not drip onto the floor .

Royston

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
WD40 in application on movers is totally inadequate as a long term lubricant.

It is a water dispersant which has a limited "life" of 40 days before it becomes a water attractant.

The recommended lubricant is chain oil, as previously stated.

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
For the record you do realise you are contributing to a thread that is nearly a decade old?
Also for the record, Powrtouch themselves suggest removing the front cover (pulls off), washing the slide cradle to get all of the (any) muck out and then agreed that one of the best products to use is Waxoyl.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If your mover is a Powrtouch and still within the 5 year warranty, give them a ring and the problem will be sorted out for you.

I was surprised that you found a 10 year old post, but it just goes to show that information is never "out of date".

As for
then agreed that one of the best products to use is Waxoyl.

Waxoyl has never ever been advised to lubricate a motor mover. The best lubricant is motorcycle chain oil.

The advice for maintaining your mover is to clean it every 6 months then lubricate the sliders and other moving parts except the rollers !

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If your mover is a Powrtouch and still within the 5 year warranty, give them a ring and the problem will be sorted out for you.

I was surprised that you found a 10 year old post, but it just goes to show that information is never "out of date".

As for

Waxoyl has never ever been advised to lubricate a motor mover. The best lubricant is motorcycle chain oil.

The advice for maintaining your mover is to clean it every 6 months then lubricate the sliders and other moving parts except the rollers !
My Powertouch manual specifically states Waxoyl to lubricate. But like you I use chain oil.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Damian
thank you for the links. However looking at web forums going back to 2008 there are quite a number of references to Powrtouch recommending Waxoyl as lubricant/protectant. My first Evolution quoted Waxoyl, and my current classic does too (albeit Wax Oil). I notice that the Powrtouch say that their support pages have all been updated, which probably explains why they now specifically show chain lub for all models. But when you click on some links on their website under Maintenance there are two items shown. One is an aerosol of Waxoyl and the other are batteries for the remote. Under the details of the Waxoyl aerosol are three links to access greasing information. They have all been updated to show chain lub.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
The powertouch manual says to waxoyl the body under the plastic cover not use it to lube the workings! And as above WD40 won't do the job as a lube either other than temporarily perhaps!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The powertouch manual says to waxoyl the body under the plastic cover not use it to lube the workings! And as above WD40 won't do the job as a lube either other than temporarily perhaps!

Thanks. I accept that my post now related to guidance given a while back and that Powrtouch have become more specific in their maintenance instructions. My current mover is a 2017 Classic as my first generation Evolution wasn’t that reliable in its actuation so I decided to return to basics.

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts